Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know (probably skr00ze) if you can run an aftermarket oil cooler on a oil cooled only motor? I mean I know you can buy one and make it work but how do you figure out if its as good as or better than the stock on the bike now?

·
Ebay PosterChild
981 Posts
plus oil cooled bikes last longer then liquid cooled but you cant put as much power to them just tap into your oil sending unit and run a tranny/oil cooler better then nothing which is pretty much what most of us have

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive found a bunch on ebay but most of them have a threaded top part and im pretty sure my oil lines use a banjo bolt on both ends....

·
Ebay PosterChild
981 Posts
most oil coolers have it so you have to use a barbed fitting to clamp onto your line unless you wled in a fitting that is

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
there's MANY places to get aftermarket oil coolers for old 'zooks, but i found the best one i could get my hands on for the money was a 92 gsxr750 oil cooler. fairly large sized, and it's curved like more modern radiators, so it "scoops" air thru it. worked awesome on my 7/12, and the lines bolt right up. any of the earl's type coolers have multi-joint fittings, and the more joints, the more chances to leak, imo.

you can also run a computer fan on any of the coolers to help out if you get stuck in traffic. i had to do just that for a while when i noticed the pistons would actually swell to the point that the bike would barely restart when i wasn't moving enough to get air moving thru the cooler. once i let the bike cool all was well, but an immediate restart after being in traffic was scary sometimes.

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The biggest problem Ive had out of the katana I owned was the carbs, leaking gas, not wanting to stay sync'd. I took it on a long ride one day and the bike started bogging horrible and wouldnt even stay running while sitting at a stop. Piece of shit. I swore I would never buy another one and look where Im at with that LOL

·
British Bloke in Canada
2,146 Posts
On my gsxr 1000 My original Oil cooler was damaged, so I bought a B&M transmission Cooler, it has about the same capacity as the standard cooler, Maybe a little larger, I used the original lines to the engine, but made up the rest of the cooler lines with earls Stainless hose, and earls fittings, I guess it runs more money than a suzuki cooler, but it looks nicer, and I mounted on the fork legs onder the head lights.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts