Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 417 Posts

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi liking your bike I have just sold mine,in some ways wish I had not ,but got two gsxr,s on the go at the moment I was getting 142 bhp out of mine great fun and handling a little over engineered for there time sound great real head turners enjoy and be safe have a look at mine.
I love this bike. The power above 3k seems very linear. Don't care so much about that magic dyno number. It's got far more HP up top than I'll use for a while. I'd probably be happier with a street triple with an sssa... but $$$ :)

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Did a quick cold compression check

210 across the board, within a few psi.

Theres a bit of oil in 2 of the plug wells... Valve cover gasket is $50 :( Looks like I'll be buying a tube of yamabond...

·
I Piss Excellence.
1,828 Posts
Question...

To help you achieve the stance/tail position that you want: Couldn't you just use a set of lowering links and drop the front end equally in order to give you enough stand over height to play with the tail/subframe angle?

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Never considered lowering it. Not sure how I feel about the idea. I'm coming from an f4i that had very nice handling characteristics. If I make it feel any heavier I'd be pretty disappointed. But I'm almost a total newbie when it comes to synergy between suspension and steering in motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Did a quick cold compression check

210 across the board, within a few psi.

Theres a bit of oil in 2 of the plug wells... Valve cover gasket is $50 :( Looks like I'll be buying a tube of yamabond...
210 - impressive! and now you see why it's important to have a strong battery and why these eat starter clutches!

Question...

To help you achieve the stance/tail position that you want: Couldn't you just use a set of lowering links and drop the front end equally in order to give you enough stand over height to play with the tail/subframe angle?
For a bike with a narrow 3cyl engine and high seat these bikes have disappointingly poor ground clearance from stock even before you start lowering anything. I wouldn't. This situation can be helped by fitting a later exhaust manifold from a 98-00 model. That is to say without the springs on the outside at the mid section like yours has but before the crossover balance pipe was added as then your silencers won't fit. These were tucked in/under more.

The rear linkage design also makes it hard to mess with ride height but you can gain a few mm using a 190/55.

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
210 - impressive! and now you see why it's important to have a strong battery and why these eat starter clutches!
No shit. Made me revisit the owners manual. Calls for 95 ron which equates to 90-91 aki octane here in the states. I put 89 in last fill up :oops:

For a bike with a narrow 3cyl engine and high seat these bikes have disappointingly poor ground clearance from stock even before you start lowering anything. I wouldn't. This situation can be helped by fitting a later exhaust manifold from a 98-00 model. That is to say without the springs on the outside at the mid section like yours has but before the crossover balance pipe was added as then your silencers won't fit. These were tucked in/under more.

The rear linkage design also makes it hard to mess with ride height but you can gain a few mm using a 190/55.
And I really dig the mechanical look of the midpipe collector with all the springs. Want to TI wrap the header and gloss black (or maybe red or blue to keep some of the British theme going) the springs so they show more on the wrap and shiny pipes :)

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
95 RON IS 89 (CLC/AKI)
Slumming it over here? :D

Everything I can find says MON of modern fuel is between 8-10 less than the RON. Without testing and knowing what effect all the ethanol in our fuel does it's the best I can do :p

(R+M)/2
(95+85)/2=90
(95+87)/2=91

Therefore 95ron fuel should equate to 90/91 here. I expect all I'll see in the real world is a small difference in fuel economy

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
New OE for nearly the same coin. Don't know if anything else fits. I'm tempted to see if a welder could chop and weld this sunline shifter to fit.

Cut to about here may fit...

Wow thats dirty...

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
It's a cast piece, which is notoriously difficult to weld decently.

Can you find anything similar in steel?

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Just to help me keep track of the project

ToDo List
drill triple for risers
direct shift shifter (moose racing?)
5/8" front master (98 cbr900 for example)
1/2" rear master (zxr750 for example)
Axles spacers:
Right side - 25.05 mm ID x 35mm OD x 28mm long
Left Side - 1mm longer than stock left side spacer
Rare earth magnets
Maybe throttle/clutch/brake lines
Headlight (have an idea for this, need to get it on paper)
check valve clearances
clean this dirty fucker
Paint...
reassemble bike
ride bike with smile on face

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Interested how you're gonna drill that top yoke with the gullwing angle of it.

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I am too.

The 2 things that went thru my head were carbide bur in my drill press or a flat grinder in my dremel. I don't want to take too much material off, just enough for there to be a flat surface.

The risers I'm using.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
I think you're going to have a real hard time doing it and keeping enough strength. I'd go as far as to say it won't work. If it would work, then there'd be far more Speedtonas out there with drilled yokes, and used Speed triple yokes would change hand much cheaper.

Can you chamfer the bottom of the riser to match? Gonna still need to make the bottom flat where they bolt.

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Fixated on paint planning today. Solid white feels so cheap.
I found this a while ago

I could get see if it's the type of thing a vinyl shop could print out so I can use it as a racing stripe, pin stripe or edge detail for the bikini/tank/tail

That still leaves alot of white. The wheels CAN'T be a solid white if the majority of the bike is white.

Frame, swinger and a few other bits will be black. I don't want black wheels.

I was thinking this idea

Use a light blue and light red on the inside of the spokes?

That still leaves ALOT of white.
Is it too much white?

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hey look! I fucked up!

[11:24 PM] Ahks: :shrug: what ya gonna do
[11:20 PM] Ahks: No... measurements were spot on. just realized I royally fucked how much space would be between the risers... after I drilled the first hole
[11:15 PM] sidewayz: you measure wrong?
[11:13 PM] Ahks: Yeah... I almost threw the triple across the basement when I realized I fucked up /o\
[11:09 PM] sidewayz: lol. fill it and move on.
[11:01 PM] Ahks: shoudl I just call it weight reduction? :p

[10:55 PM] Ahks: What? Me? Noooo.... yes
[10:35 PM] sidewayz: was this someone you? lol
[10:22 PM] Ahks: cosmetic and of course a weak spot on the triple now...
[10:21 PM] Ahks: so if someone fucked up and drilled a hole in the wrong place on their triple... would JB be a good patch if it was just cosmetic?

21 - 40 of 417 Posts