Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
401 - 417 of 417 Posts

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #401 ·
Ahks is back?! Good to see ya still kicking man.

Yeah, I might not poke at many non-build threads, but I miss the nuts and bolts of the creativity that comes from projects here. Other places have a "look what I built (while pointing at a rizoma mirror on a bike)" or "look what I bought (pointing at a box of $10k of random farkle)" vibe and this place is one of the only places that has the "look at this thing I'm doing right now and this is how I'm doing it". Also I deleted my facebook so like half of the Internet is behind a wall for me now :p

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #402 ·

Planning on using this as the coolant overflow... was really concerned about finding a place to mount it

Then a buddy of mine figured out it'll fit in the fat section of the stock tail plastics

It fits a bit too perfectly to not do that :p

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
Couple air duct clamps on the side of the engine then slap a NOS sticker to the side :D

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #404 ·
Couple air duct clamps on the side of the engine then slap a NOS sticker to the side :D

Something like that is deffo in order when I build my tail... Especially since it'll be slimmed down with zero extra space in it.
Thinking the electronics tray will have to be a printed one off designed to fit just the electronics

·
Breaking shit...
3,293 Posts
Also I deleted my facebook so like half of the Internet is behind a wall for me now :p
facebook is the goddamn devil of wasted time...

Something like that is deffo in order when I build my tail... Especially since it'll be slimmed down with zero extra space in it.
Thinking the electronics tray will have to be a printed one off designed to fit just the electronics

tpehak did an really nice write up on his buell that had EXTENSIVE 3d printed stuff. might be worth a peek

https://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137710&highlight=tpehak

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #406 ·
tpehak did an really nice write up on his buell that had EXTENSIVE 3d printed stuff. might be worth a peek

https://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137710&highlight=tpehak
His thread was inspiration actually. Started designing a printer with a 500mm cube print area. Have a few components already, but may be using them in a small CNC mill instead. Friend of mine just built a printer with 300mm cube print area, so I can probably mooch time from him if I feed him filament. If I can sort a small mill between the 2 of use we would have the ability to make all kinds of things. We're also cooperating on some powder coating equipment. Nothing professional, but plenty to do small parts at a minimum and maybe up to something the size of a motorcycle frame if we can figure out space to fit a cabinet that big

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Yeah, I might not poke at many non-build threads, but I miss the nuts and bolts of the creativity that comes from projects here. Other places have a "look what I built (while pointing at a rizoma mirror on a bike)" or "look what I bought (pointing at a box of $10k of random farkle)" vibe and this place is one of the only places that has the "look at this thing I'm doing right now and this is how I'm doing it". Also I deleted my facebook so like half of the Internet is behind a wall for me now :p
I know exactly what you're saying about those vibes. Life has been busy and I've not been around here much, but I have learned so much here. And met so many good guys, too!

facebook is the goddamn devil of wasted time...
You ain't wrong! But that Marketplace sure is handy :thumbsup:

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #410 ·
In anticipation of having time this weekend to work in the garage... Getting more detailed about bits and bobs to keep the shit in my head.

Front end
[..] Straighten, align, torque, brakes, axle, triples
[..] Drain, fill, bleed brakes

Rear end
[..] Seat, staple up my old Corbin, or whats left of it
[..] Fit plastics, mod bits that need modding to fit
[..] Check friction points for brake line, speed sensor wiring, etc
[..] Adjust chain slack
[..] TORQUE PINCH BOLT UNLIKE THAT ONE TIME
[..] Torque rear wheel

Other
[..] Coolant reservoir (need some brass fittings, a stopper/cap, a way to mount it)
[..] Coolant flush and fill
[..] Oil+Filter change
[..] Spark plug check
[..] Finish the 4ga ground strap
Probably forgetting something...

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #411 ·
I’m not ignoring this... work has been done. Just not much because lazy after work :p
Adjustments.jpg
The o-ring inside the fittings on the fuel tank were dead. Looks like buna-n deteriorates enough to weld itself together when living in a petroleum bath that’s slowly turning into turpentine for 6 years... figure viton is in order.
IMG_4699.jpg
Bought new male and female fittings (90 FUCKING DOLLARS !... luckily I sold an old Chevy 350 that I’ve had in the garage for over a decade so had some extra cash) and started installing them.

Once I get back out there I can finish those and mount the tank. Next task will be the coolant overflow so I can flush the cooling system.

Soon... soon... maybe my license plate will get here before it’s ready to ride

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
Those metal connectors are ridiculously expensive but way better than the plastic ones you're always afraid to snap when taking the tank off... Had to put new plastics on mine as I couldn't get the metal ones anywhere without ordering 100 each. Even those were IIRC 70 ish eur.

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #413 ·

Only oil and brake flush and fill is left.

...But the oil pressure light is on. 1st step is unplug and see if it’s a short. The sensor apparently closes the circuit to ground, so it could just be stuck after sitting for years. If the light goes out when I unplug it, I’ll remove the sensor and clean it in the hope that it’s just stuck. It’s just a banjo bolt with a sensor, so if the holes are obstructed or gummed up, it could prevent the pressure from getting to the sensor ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Ordering another so it’s already on the way in case I need it :/ The pump wouldn’t have gone bad just sitting, but an oil pickup or galley could be clogged leading to a pressure problem.

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #414 ·
Yeah... I'm a fucking idiot. It's the check engine light.

Since I was in there, I verified the oil light works by grounding it's to the case to make sure it comes on.

While looking at the oil pressure sensor I did find another very broken vacuum line.

Since I can't sleep through a night anymore, I went out to the garage this morning and replaced that vacuum line and hooked up the laptop to see what the CEL was for. Misfire and IAT sensor circuit open (it was unplugged, so that makes sense :p ).

Coolant flush was done Sunday.
Sorted the "oil pressure problem":doh:
Vacuum line repaired.

Now just have to put shit together again and do a few maintenance bits.
Thinking I may see if any of my old air box clamps from previous bikes will work to seal the air box to the TB's better. All the foolin with coolin on Sunday basically had the air box just sitting on the TB's.

Wonder if I could mod the air box with a set of pod filters so I could have the pod's hose clamps to seal against the TB's without losing too much of the benefit of the air box...

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
Ah the famous triumph "warning about fucking everything" light, more lit than not and you need a confuser to check what it's for this time.

Reactions: Ahks

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #416 ·
Front end
[] Straighten, align, torque, brakes, axle, triples
[] Drain, fill, bleed brakes

Rear end
[] Seat, staple up my old Corbin, or whats left of it
[] Fit plastics, mod bits that need modding to fit
[] Check friction points for brake line, speed sensor wiring, etc
[] Adjust chain slack
[] TORQUE PINCH BOLT UNLIKE THAT ONE TIME
[] Torque rear wheel

Other
[] Coolant reservoir (need some brass fittings, a stopper/cap, a way to mount it)
[] Coolant flush and fill
[] Oil+Filter change
[..] Spark plug check
[] Finish the 4ga ground strap
Few bits to add to the list after a few quick rides.
[..] Tune [Runs rich... my vin/engine number indicate that it is an early 98 before they changed the cam(s). I think I'm running the late 98 tune...]
[..] Airbox [boots keep coming off the throttle bodies. When the bike was new there was a bracket at the front of the airbox that fixed it in place over the valve cover. Mine apparently broke off at some point. I'm guessing by some asshat that just yanked the airbox off rather than fish an extension under it to remove the screw. I'm betting with that bracket in place the tank would push the airbox down sufficiently to keep the seal.]
[..] Front fender [Shits rubbing real bad but the gap looks sufficient... maybe I left some tube taped under it when I was test fitting things...]
[..] Throttle tube [The r6 throttle is way too twitchy for me. Swapping the stock one back. I really don't need WOT anyway, I hardly ever ride on the highway]

401 - 417 of 417 Posts