Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just rebuilt a fork with one, it was faced the right way, spring side out, as was the oem seal. Drove it all the way to the washer then some using old seal. It was completely flush and seated. The bushing looked fine, no wear, no copper showing. Fork legs looked fine, completely smooth. Riding around I'm getting this weeping from the fork, just a tiny bit. It's not leaking down the fork leg even the amount is so little, almost like its just leaving rings of residual oil from when I installed the fork but it's been at least 150 miles since rebuild.

What the fahk?!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I used all balls on a set I rebuilt. They were in the right way all driven all the way down and one fork leaked like a son of a bitch. I took it back apart redid it and it was fine.

Did you put to much oil in it? Maybe there's to much and it's forcing out the excess when it compresses?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went 10mm more than fac spec (out of several folks recommendation). I'll give it another shot with some new seals, they're dirt cheap which is nice.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, no scratches or gouges, I polished it with some wet 1000 grit just to be on the safe side even. Damn fork

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tube was similar to this here, this is a bent tube that I had replaced on the other fork. It had fine swirl marks but nothing that I could catch a fingernail on. I did notice something though, the tube slid right out; far from being a slide hammer action.

·
escape from prison planet
2,296 Posts
ive never heard of the allballs seals being worth a shit. ive personally never used them. i really would like to, though, because the price is great! but ive always heard they suck.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I don't know where I went wrong, maybe a fluke? I think I'm gonna go with oem though for the next time; I've got all balls wheel bearings in my wheels, and steering bearing. They've done me good so far but I guess all my balls ran out with the fork seals.

It's leaking all the way around the tube as far as I can tell so it seems to be a matter of the seal not fitting great. I put it in there right as I've ever done any forks, never had folks come back and complain about leaking.

·
moron with a hammer
119 Posts
All Balls bearings are good. Their fork seals are not. The newer black ones are supposed to be better than the old red ones, but I see no reason to find out. The red ones were terrible.

OEM seals are usually about twice as much, but worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts