Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here we are, couldn't help but get involved.

My dad picked up a 1974 honda gl1000 barn find from a friend. No title, not running or rolling. Had to put it in the trailer with a tractor/back ho thing.

It's disassembled at this point. The motor is free, but we've never had it running or cranking.

The name is in regards to how much boost we'll be running and how much it weighs(give or take).

Pics:

Plans -

-Hayabusa USD front end - Thanks Drjellyfingers!
-1800 goldwing single sided swing arm and car wheel(hayabusa spring)
-Supercharger(7-10lbs)/carb set up/wide band o2
-Modern lights/guages
-Handmade body work/subframe

Lots of crazy builds this year, honestly I don't think we'll get done, my dad doesn't do well with time frames so we'll see. Too cold to ride so gotta do something crazy!

Nate

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
Re: Ammadien's gl1000 - "8lbs 40 stone" - Discussion!

We need to get together with these build off bikes at mwff if it happens again. I'm really looking forward to putting on some miles with the Triumph and GSXR next year. Only put ~5k miles on the Triumph this year since I had no one to ride with and didn't want to ride to Barber alone.

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ right?! If Justin is having it again I'll definitely be out there with at least one street bike.

Pumped!!

Nate

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts

its happening, hopefully at my new house if things work as planned. It's 15 minutes closer to the curves down sunset boulevard and bristol

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts

I'll be able to make it next year. I have a lot to make up for.

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

You don't have shit to make up for Steve. But, it would be awesome to get you northerners down this way.

its happening, hopefully at my new house if things work as planned. It's 15 minutes closer to the curves down sunset boulevard and bristol
Awesome.

Nate

·
2bonnes
39 Posts

I'm Nate's dad Tom, ya we got the front end and wheel Thursday. Everything looks good. Good packing job. Thanks alot.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts

I'm Nate's dad Tom, ya we got the front end and wheel Thursday. Everything looks good. Good packing job. Thanks alot.
awesome, glad to hear ur happy with it. and excited to see what u guys do with the bike.

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Parts came in. The old man gets things sorted faster than I do lol.

modern gl swingarm/busa shock

busa front end

Couple problems/opportunities -

The stock stems are welded into the triples - really? lol so might have to make a new stem, or hopefully some sort of bearing swap will work.

Swinger is 2 inches wider than the frame, 6 inches longer than stock, and the drive shaft is 2 inches longer. So pivot hole relocation will need to happen. Gonna have to make some pieces to weld to the frame. We will see.

Long, low, need to have the horsepower to justify it not being able to turn.

Nate

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts

im really digging this. ive been around wings my whole life and this will turnout to be one of the best ones ive seen.

how are you guys gonna go about getting title ?

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

The frame is a second frame with title. So we really got a parts barn bike, then bought a frame that had a title.

Before in michigan if the bike was old and worth little then it was super easy to get a new title, but not anymore. Bunch of hoops to jump through.

Nate

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts

thats why i keep frames that have good titles

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Front end is on. +1 for allsballz racing bearing conversion kits.

Swinger comparison -

Questions for the front end - Can you use a single lock nut with some sweet locktite instead of two lock nuts? Otherwise we would need to mill the lock nuts a little each to make the stem fit - issa wee bit short. Thoughts?

Taking it apart then cutting it's ass off next.

Bolt pattern is weird on the swinger - so custom wheel or stock...meh, unless someone has a slick plan to adapter plate to a 4x100 or the like.

Nate

·
3 Posts

Bike's looking good! Just a thought on the rear wheel... the new VFR 1200 wheel is a 5 bolt pattern, not sure about other specifics though.

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Ya I'll throw some locktite on it and check torque/play every so often. If it loosens I can machine the nuts to fit.

Rearwheel is up in the air. Stock gl1800 wheel is a 16(sport tires a concern?!), so seeing if its worth it to buy a custom wheel($$), machine adapter for a popular lug pattern with lots of offsets(complicated?!), or do an adapter for a older duc wheel(possibly complicated/offset issues).

I need to find a blower.

Nate

1 - 20 of 75 Posts