Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 704 Posts

·
old fart
Joined
·
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for anyone following my builds, this one is the combination build of my two other bikes,
just thought i would give it a new thread instead of trying to fit info into two other threads, the reason
for the build is that i had a track Hornet that i recently fitted with a CBR900RR 893cc motor but then made the decision
to give up track days.
I also have a highly modified 6oo hornet that i call CB600RR which after three engine rebuilds still drinks oil.
i then got the idea to combine the two and make the CB893RR.
it will mean taking all the trick bits off the 600 and fitting them to the 893 bike

the two bikes in question before work started




So here we go....................

Went to work on changing the SSSA over tonight, got it done :)
changed the shock, rear sets, swing arm mounting plates and some small bits. needed to modify some of the bits
but they went on with surprising ease.
had to remove the exhaust can as i couldn't mount the wheel with it still in place :eek
found that the connector between the stater and the Reg/rec had started to burn out!!! so removed it and soldered the wires and
shrink wrapped the joints.




 

·
GURU of da poo poo
Joined
·
5,717 Posts
For those of us who didn't follow your builds, this is a 599 hornet with a first gen cbr900rr motor in it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,653 Posts
Cb893 repsol is going to look tits
 

·
old fart
Joined
·
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Changed the clutch cable routing last night, it has been on my list since putting the engine in! but
to get the cable to run inboard the same as the hornet i would need to remove the OEM cam chain tensioner
and fit a much smaller manual CCT as the OEM one stuck out into the intended path of the cable.
As i have a manual CCT on the 600 engine, i was able to remove it from there and fit it onto the blade engine,
along with the bracket that holds the clutch cable next to the clutch actuater arm on the clutch cover.
as i was doing the cable i also changed the seal for the actuating arm that was weeping a small amount of oil onto my right foot
at speed.
last job of the night was to re fit the number plate bracket, on arival at my house on my return from work, i found the No plate just hanging from the indicator wires!! bracket had snapped clean through.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,653 Posts
That sucks did you find it or you just getting a new 1
 

·
old fart
Joined
·
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
did a bit more last night,
removed the CBR curved radiator and re placed it with the stock hornet rad, this is to give the required
fork/rad clearance, if i left the curved rad on with the USD forks that are going to be fitted, i would end up with clearance problems and also
very reduced steering circle. the steering lock is already limited so dont want to make it worse!
dont think it will lead to cooling problems, as the bike will now only be used at "road" speeds, and wont require the extra cooling that was required
for continued high RPM on track use, time will tell.
to change rads i needed to make some new mounting plates & change the hose lengths, didnt take long.
also swapped the tanks over, so now have the Repsol tank fitted with the breather in place.
 

·
old fart
Joined
·
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
got some brackets ruffed out at work this morning, so might be able to get the sub frame on and
test fitted during the long w/end, that will give me the rest of the weekend to clean up and cut the bracing pieces to
get welded on to the brackets once i know it is all going to work.
if that goes to plan then i should be able to swap out the forks for the USD's.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,339 Posts
see i told you that ypou would find more shit to do haha...

ps definatly subed!!
 

·
old fart
Joined
·
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
chopped sub frame off, so no going back now!
measured up and drilled and fitted top bracket, then test fitted CBR sub frame.




then drilled the lower brackets, also trimmed off some unwanted metal.
did a test fit of them.




once i am happy with the fitment i will bolt the lower brackets in place, i will get them welded once i am
100% happy with everything. i will be changing the seat fitment slightly from how it was on the 600 as the
tank has had to be moved slightly, which means the seat/sub frame needs to move so the plastics will line up
with their mountings.
 

·
The Honda Guy
Joined
·
468 Posts
about 1 inch (2.5 cm) aprox
Thanks! I've been wanting to do that conversion since I first saw yours, now I have an excuse. I've got hip trouble, getting me a little more space between the seat & pegs will make things much more comfortable. There was no way I was going to sacrifice cornering clearance for comfort, though.

I like the brackets this time around, Looks like you got them a little more simple. I can't wait to see it with the side covers, seat & tank on!
 

·
old fart
Joined
·
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like the brackets this time around, Looks like you got them a little more simple. I can't wait to see it with the side covers, seat & tank on!
well here ya go :thumbsup:

quick trial with the plastics on and it wasnt a long way out, so happy with that, just
need to finish off the lower brackets and can then get on with the re build :D



 
1 - 20 of 704 Posts
Top