Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Even smaller than the last one, yes really I've cut up a 125.......
Why? Well I've been banned, not regained my full license yet and my wife to be would like to follow me around on it when I do pass my test and get another "real" bike.
I'm getting married this November so money is tight and ambitions are high.

This particular bike has had a few guises in the ten years I've owned it so lets have a quick look at some of them.

Like any other brand new bike, it starts with aftermarket exhausts and small mods, tail tidy's, better screen etc

But after an eventful trip up here

I didn't have much worth saving on the bike.
New exhaust made, very loud stumpy and some USD forks from some obscure motorcross bike, very quick coat of paint and I was back off on the road.

I rode it like that for a bit then the bug hit, balls to it lets have at least a half arsed crack at a street fighter looking bike.
So then it looked this

Then this

Rode that for a year or so then got bored of that too.
Last time I gave it a facelift it looked like this...

Not long after the cam chain tensioner gave up, and its just sat there looking miserable.
I bought a cbr600f f3 for mates rates with all intention of getting my license done.
As money goes between family things and saving for the wedding that too just sat and did nothing, so I've nicked a few bits off it, parted the rest out on ebay as things sell off ill turn my attention back to this little machine.
I've owned it ten years as a work hack, and I'm over the moon the Mrs wants to take an interest in it so I guess I better make a start on it.

First off the bike was stripped down and threw on the ramp, no point in pics of that bit.

The cbr600 forks have extra lugs I wont need so I took off two I definitely wont need and blended it in as best I could

While I had the grinder out I separated the stem from the bottom yoke
Trimmed the bottom to reduce its length, machined it down slightly to accept smaller bearings and welded it back in and gave it all a wire wheel to clean it up.

The wire wheels seemed to work really well, so I started on the fork legs too

Came up real nice, they are getting painted not polished though.

Best stop the bottom toke from going rusty before I get round to fitting it.
A good clean first, and yes I lifted dirty pots out the sink to wash bike parts then put the pots back for the Mrs ��

Some red oxide primer should hold off the brown fur

Don't have any paint yet as I haven't decided what I'm doing so what else to do?
Seems mocking up the front is a good idea, and shoving on the much wider than standard wheels. The standard cbr rear is 17/100/60.... Yes really just 100, it looks like a bicycle tyre, lets get at least a 150 on there.....

Ok first I got rid of the standard tank mount bracket

Then I put the front end just loose, not tightened up and there is no internals in the forks I'm putting all new in.

Some wheels from an rs125 where going cheap so picked them up and shoved them on, rear is now 150, cant remember front but its wider as well.

Liking the look of the bigger front end. Time to start a new post before I accidently press back on my mobile again and loose the whole post and image links.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, lets put the tank on and see how it looks, well it looked so stupid ill skip that pic... It needs a big tank, a fat tank, something my knees actually touch!

Something like the cbr600f tank

Loving the side profile, but the front....

Well ill have to get creative to make that work, there are plenty bikes with weird bits under the tank, the vmax springs to mind, ill have to fill it in somehow but well cross that bridge when we get to a rolling chassis....

Other than that everything else is not a bad fit yoke stops connect with frame

Tank just has enough clearance

Sits a bit far back bit I think it will add to the stance of the bike, all big up front

Tail is an ok fit considering, it will need chopping and infills making

Think Its safe to say clip ons are a no no on this bike, ill have to get some low risers I want the bars level with tank if possible or at least not much higher

I'll leave it here for now, ill pick up some stuff to finish fitting the wheels properly and rebuild the forks. I need the wheels on and centred before I can brace the swingarm, and possibly move the shock. I want under tail exhaust and shock is right in the way.
Well see when it progresses anyway these things always change direction as we work on them.

Just looking at the pics of the tail now its on the screen and I'm thinking bollocks to and underseat exhaust lets run out side and cut the sub frame off and just have a seat behind the tank.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To be frank, I hate the look of them, I think I want a pair of braced bars on there.
Im a bit stuck for ideas on the top yoke too, as im moving the ignition away from there because I hate having to cram a gloved hand between the bars and clocks to flick the iginition on, so it leaves a reduntant hoop at the front or the yoke.
I can cut it off and file it down etc, but it will still look a bit odd.
I will be running an all in one display on there so it may hide it, just a bit dubious to start cutting too much up yet without much real idea of whats happening

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
As an MSX-modder, it's an interesting build!

Those forks are from the era of Showa 41mm forks where they had more or less interchangeable everything.

Imagine this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-NTV...pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item3aa284a156

gives you a bar mount, two threads to mount the clocks, and there's not too much mess when you take off the lock boss either.

Or a CB-1, but it would need drilling.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB1...pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item27e65843bb

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome info there, cheers, I had seen a few yokes with the bar mounts, older vfr's mainly i think.
I was never sure if the forks would be the same distance apart, or if i'd have to mess on swapping bottom yokes and stems aswell.

Although saying that "fat bars" seem to be calling me at the moment for some strange reason....

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Always worth double checking if you can get the seller to put a ruler on it, but in general all those 90's bikes with 41mm forks shared yoke dimensions. EG you can fit an nc23/29/30/35 front wheel on most any CBR600f, vfr750f, vtr1000f, the list goes on, and the spacers are the same. Which pretty much tells you the yokes are the same.

The NTV yoke gives a drop, which would make the front of the bike taller. Don't think you need that on a 125!

A top yoke off a CB400SF or CB750f2 might be the best if you can find one.

Reactions: GavCarter

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got round to getting a little bit done today, and I do mean a little bit, I "escaped" while the mrs was doing sunday dinner, so it was soon time to retire back to the warmth of the house and a nice big chicken dinner. Id of liked to got a bit more done, but it was baltic out there today....

anyways, continuing on with mocking up the front end, i spent a while searching ebay, looking at yokes and risers, not really finding much that hasnt been done to death or that I would consider at least worth the purchase price, so I thought bugger it ive got spares, lets use them.

Photobuckets editor is the slowest thing so cock your head to the right for the first pic

First up, the risers I have, have a 2" rise. Way too much for what I want this time so I chucked in the vice and stared at it for 2 minutes. As you can guess this didnt make it any smaller and the hacksaw wasnt very appealing today

Then I had a brain wave. If I chuck the pair of them up in the "Ghetto" lathe, I dont have to hacksaw them, YEEEY!

took a quick vid to post up, I had the phone upside down though, so the video looks a little strange.....

Turning down risers

Anyway, that was still taking a while and then I had another brain fart moment, and realised I have a parting tool for the lathe.

Cock your head to the right again ;)

What a div, should have put this on first instead of trying to turn down the risers.

parting off

Anyhoos, within a couple of minutes I was left with this

It still needs facing off and is right against the chuck so I put some small allen cap bolts in them to hold them away from the chuck face and swapped back to the facing / turning tool

Not long after that I was left with this

and after a quick debur and clean up

So, lets start on the yokes, again I couldnt be bothered with hacksaw and file.
So i munched the worst of it with the finger eater ( angle grinder ) and then because I REALLY didnt fancy being stood over the bench for two hours with the file, I decided I would mill the rest. Kinda. In a fashion. It got flattened didnt it.....

After 10 minutes or so of pushing the yokes back forth in the pillar drill, I was left with a nice flat surface.
There a plenty of "machine marks" in it, but its flat and didnt take long, and I can always file them out another day.

I chopped the ignition ring off, and filed the cast lines out of the front of the yoke, and started to smooth over where id been cutting the yoke up. Still more to do, then it needs a damn good whire wheel to get it back to bare metal again.

and from above

I think I will pop that logo out and JBWeld the hole up, so it all nice and smooth.
I might, MIGHT, try and braze a bit of ally over the front where the ignition has been cut.
We'll see.

And the risers sat on the yokes, dont look too bad I think ( when painted up etc anyway )

Well thats all i got done today, was a piss poor performance, I know but....
Hoping to get something decent done soon, there is a nother set of yokes in the post, top and bottom and Im....................

Well you'll have to wait and see wont you

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
"Cock your head to the right" *and i did. :D

Nice work man. Still loving your lathe.

On the JB Weld. I've got the exact save top clamp. I JB'd my logo, sanded, then painted and it was perfect. Later, I decided I'd rather powder coat it, knowing from experience the the process won't hurt JB. Well, it shrunk slightly, revealing the faintest logo you ever did see. Just my experience on it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"Cock your head to the right" *and i did. :D

Nice work man. Still loving your lathe.

On the JB Weld. I've got the exact save top clamp. I JB'd my logo, sanded, then painted and it was perfect. Later, I decided I'd rather powder coat it, knowing from experience the the process won't hurt JB. Well, it shrunk slightly, revealing the faintest logo you ever did see. Just my experience on it.
thanks for the tip! I doubt ill get it powdercoated to be fair.
Videos should be on by now, you have to stand on your head this time!

Its really hard to see what your doing through a phone screen....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok little update today. The new ( to me - 2nd hand off ebay) triple tree arrived the other day so i thought id make a start on it.

Yup, there totally standard, same ones I already have.......
So why the hell did i buy them? Well i had a little idea.....

First the weld on the under side of the bottom yoke is sliced off and the stem hammered out

Then I took a grinder to the top and removed all the steering stops, and levelled the yoke clamps with the top of the yoke

looks a reasonable fit under the old one

Stuck it together all the way round. A gap that size should really be done in passes, but being lazy and not at all a good welder I opted to just try and fill it in one. It left a fair few inclusions and it needs grinding flat but I left here for now as it was red hot

Time to start the top yoke.
First i chopped it up like I did the last one

I put one on top of the other and the fit was, well, terrible.
I noticed the more recent one had a very thick coat of paint with big drips and blobs in so i cleaned it up to find some retard had previously installed it with a hammer

mine on the other hand was nice and smooth

but the gap was still huge

After a bit of grinding and filing of the yoke clamps the gap started to close up

I cant weld aluminum, and I dont really want to go through the hassle of paying somebody too, and posting it off and waiting etc etc, plus the point of the build is to do it yourself, not to bolt together everybody elses work, right?

So i marked out the centres of the bar risers, if you remember from page 1 they have a hole in the middle, in which I can hide a bolt head, and drilled a 7mm hole in them.

I put them both back on the stanchions to keep them lined up and used an electric drill to go through the lower top yoke, tapped it to M8 and Ive filled the gaps with some old, like really old, 20+ years 2 part epoxy I found round my dads. I have a funny feeling ill be raking it back out tomorrow when it doesn't set and re-doing it with JBWeld.

The bottom yokes will be getting the same treatment, epoxy, jbweld etc to smooth them out, then painting.

Hopefully have more tommorrow

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Lol, I like where you are going with the triple clamps! Pretty crafty...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is starting to look beefy, but f*** me I have not sweated this much for so little done in ages!
My hunch about the old mans epoxy was right, it didn't set up properly, so it was all raked off and I had a mooch about and still haven't found the hardener for the body filler .
I did however find some wood filler. On reading the tin, it is suitable for exterior use, can be stained or painted, sets rock hard, can be sanded and planed and contains elastomers and real wood fibres to maintain flexibility. Sounds ideal so I gave it a whirl. The only downside I've found is it smells a bit weird and looks like your smearing shit everywhere.

Anyway after about four hours of filing, yes filing I haven't even got to sandpaper yet they are looking like this

The top yoke has been filled in stages so it sets properly and isn't close to being flush yet, the bottom ones are almost there, there's a few pin pricks, odd little delves to get rid of but overall have took shape.

I have no idea what ill do with the hole left by the ignition yet, I dont trust a clump of filler that big to stay in.

I think some fork shrouds are on the cards though, even if they only run between the yokes, I'm going to be tight on travel as it is after adding the second yokes.

I still have to figure a way of cutting the top yoke to take the stem nut too. May have to invest in a hole saw as I HATE filing!

More when my wrists recover, hopefully tomorrow.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Slowly getting there, fingers crossed ill be able to prime the bottom yokes back up tommorow.

Cant do much with top ones yet as I have no acid etch primer for a start and I also am still stumped about this big hole in the front....

The little poo smear on the left is just to touch up a small ding

bottom yoke almost done, touched up around the left hand bolt holes, waiting for it to dry and sand, also the weird looking bit in the middle is still drying.

Around the sides look bumpy as hell but it actually isnt, the filler is different shades for some reason and looks as though it hasnt been sanded

back of the top yokes needed another full layer on - its drying at moment

any ideas on the big hole in front?

filler wont touch it, it will fall out

1 - 20 of 24 Posts