Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a lot of the European bikes with different types of bottles used for their over flow tanks. Can you buy these or how would you go about making one. I'm currently turning a 2000 zx7 r into a streetfighter and the right side of the bike looks like sh*t with all of the coolant hoses, etc. I was going to try and hide it but I can't seem to make it fit anywhere. If anyone could offer up some advice that would be great. Thanks in advance.

·
Buy all my shit!
6,042 Posts
You can make it out of anything.. a can, plastic bottle (nothin too thin or soft that could melt from hot fluid).

I used my stock overflow, I just cut the top off and used epoxy and part of a oil container to patch the opening and epoxy'd the filler neck and the cap back on. Now you cant barely even see it on the bike.

What kinda bike do you have.. maybe we can figure somethin out

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
post a pic, to show us what ur workin with. :D

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 2000 ZX7R. I'm in the very beginning stages. I'm trying to clean everything up. Wiring is already hidden and now I'm looking at the coolant system. But I'm a little stuck. Here's a pic for reference.

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
I, as a short term solution, just used a Jolt Cola can with a screw on top. It works, but it's not heat tested etc. I'd like to eventually use a more solid aluminum canister, mounted in the same way. I cut an aluminum rod into three pieces for structural support and hose clamped it to the subframe. For the bottom, I simply punched a hole in the can, and put a brass fitting in, and snugged it down with the proper nut. Then I sealed it with silicone. Now it's waterproof and has worked fine thus far!

Attachments

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I notice that your solution as well as Spyders both have only one inlet into the reservoir. My stock reservoir has two...one in the bottom and one in the top. Is it necessary to have the second over flow outlet?

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
I have an overflow on the back...and Spyders appears to have an overflow next to the filler. Not a hose, but just a hole, but it works.

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
Took mine off, fuck it, I'll check it every week or two ???

·
Buy all my shit!
6,042 Posts
endo said:
I have an overflow on the back...and Spyders appears to have an overflow next to the filler. Not a hose, but just a hole, but it works.
Yeah that hole next to the filler hole on mine is suposed to have a hose comming out of in incase the bike tip's over. But since I moved it to a different spot on the bike a hose doesnt wanna stay in there.. no big deal I just try to drop it on the left side anyways so i dont fuck my exhaust up

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
mbe you could just paint your stock container black... until you come up with a better solution at least it would be less visible.

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I did think about doing that. However, I have all winter to work on it and I only like doing things once. I know that will probably not be the case for this bike(I would like to try anyway) But my preference is for it to be either hidden or some kind of custom aluminum bottle. At this point I like the idea of cutting it in half and epoxying it back together....the only thing stopping me is I have very little experience with epoxy. Most things mechanical I can do but epoxy, fiberglass, plastic weld, etc. is not my strong suit.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
trav72 said:
Yeah I did think about doing that. However, I have all winter to work on it and I only like doing things once. I know that will probably not be the case for this bike(I would like to try anyway) But my preference is for it to be either hidden or some kind of custom aluminum bottle. At this point I like the idea of cutting it in half and epoxying it back together....the only thing stopping me is I have very little experience with epoxy. Most things mechanical I can do but epoxy, fiberglass, plastic weld, etc. is not my strong suit.

well if your going to go that route...go to a salvage yard. buy a couple dif. bottles off some old bones...and practice practice practice. that way when it comes time for yours, you'll be a pro!

·
313 Posts
catman said:
Took mine off, fuck it, I'll check it every week or two ???
You will hurt your cooling system :(
It is there to allow the fluid underpressure due to the heat a place to go and needs to go back in when it is cooler or you get air in the system.

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
MsHap said:
You will hurt your cooling system :(
It is there to allow the fluid underpressure due to the heat a place to go and needs to go back in when it is cooler or you get air in the system.
Holy thread diggin MsHap !! :confused:

Thank you verry much, Good lookin out !! I will reinstall it. It doesn't seem to loose any. , but I realy didn't know any better :mad:

It gives me another part to make myself on my buildoff.

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"Holy thread diggin" is right! I haven't even addressed that part of my build yet anyway. Still not sure what I'm going to do.

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rob said:
hi i make coolant bottles in uk check out ebay item 260094440187.cheers rob
It looks to me that you just cell the aluminum bottle with it wrapped in the various drinks. They don't come with the inlets already installed so why wouldn't I just make one myself instead of ordering something from across the pond?

·
r6rob
49 Posts
these bottles come with top quality graphics laquered over the top.not some wrapper off a bottle ,dont come with inlet pipes and overflow because different bikes have different set up,some have a dip tube etc.(this is a pipe that sits in the bottom of the coolent).only trying to help but then you could always go back to butchering your old bottle

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
rob said:
these bottles come with top quality graphics laquered over the top.not some wrapper off a bottle ,dont come with inlet pipes and overflow because different bikes have different set up,some have a dip tube etc.(this is a pipe that sits in the bottom of the coolent).only trying to help but then you could always go back to butchering your old bottle
So your saying we should buy yours so we can "butcher" your bottle? Whatever. Instead of trying to get some free advertising why don't you become a site sponsor on here and customize the bottles per order from the members here?

·
r6rob
49 Posts
:LolLolLolLol: too busy peeling labels off beer tins.by the way can i put you on my buddies list.like i said only trying to help you out. if youd been polite would have sent you one over completed

1 - 20 of 32 Posts