Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I just bought me my first Ducati. It is a 2005 Monster S2r. When I bought it the chain was tight, I think to tight . Anyways I rode it for a few days and now it seems way to loose. So I do the natural thing and look up some how to's on tightening the chain. I watched this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1x7znPCY3E That is when I start looking and notice there is no "Eccentric chain tensioner".

So my question is do I need that eccentric tensioner to adjust my chain and if so where can I buy one.

Bonus. I attached pics of what I am looking at.

Thank you in advance for help.

·
UnicycleMode
7,578 Posts
Not a Ducati aficionado, but is that a single sided swingarm? If so, there is a very easy procedure to adjust it and the "eccentric adjuster" is part of the drive system itself in the swingarm. Between the brake and the wheel.

That nut is what you would be looking for, as well as a spanner wrench, if you are working with a single sided swingarm. ;)

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
Your eccentric is fucked.

Your cush drives probably backed out and ground down the adjuster teeth and possibly some of the swingarm. The cush drives are the bolts with rubber around them in that sprocket. It is a somewhat common problem.

A normal eccentric looks like this

You'll need to buy a new or used eccentric. You may also need new cush drives. I'd recommend getting an aftermarket quick change sprocket carrier that has tabs to prevent the cush drives from backing out.

You may also need a custom spacer to make up the difference for any material ground off the swingarm.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Sorry bro but from the pics you posted it appears your hub is fooked beyond repair.
Their should be a giant eccentric "sprocket" on the end of that hub. Yours seems to have been worn completely off. It apparently does happen unfortunately.
Your hub end in the pic should look like this....

But as the cush drive wears n backs off it actually can wear into the eccentric part of the hub like this...

You can see how thin this one is and is basically useless at this point. It appears yours has actually worn completely away which ive never seen but cant seem to find any other explanation.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Your eccentric is fucked.

Your cush drives probably backed out and ground down the adjuster teeth and possibly some of the swingarm. The cush drives are the bolts with rubber around them in that sprocket. It is a somewhat common problem.

A normal eccentric looks like this

You'll need to buy a new or used eccentric. You may also need new cush drives. I'd recommend getting an aftermarket quick change sprocket carrier that has tabs to prevent the cush drives from backing out.

You may also need a custom spacer to make up the difference for any material ground off the swingarm.

ah shit, beat me too it, im a slow typer lol.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
And not to make things even worse but when your shopping just remember that yours is a 2005, while technically an sr2 it is slightly different than the regular 06 and later sr2's or so ive been told. Just so ya know.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info brothers. I understand now that the eccentric is fucked. I will order a new one. Where can I get me one of theses aftermarket quick change sprocket carriers?

·
UnicycleMode
7,578 Posts
Whoa, no wonder it looked so odd. Never seen an eccentric wear out that badly before. :nuts:

·
30,379 Posts
Where can I get me one of theses aftermarket quick change sprocket carriers?
Ebay. Get a AFAM or Renthal since they have the most cross capatability options. I have at least one spare, but I think it is FBF which only accepts their own sprockets. I'll look tonight and give you a good price if you are interested. I believe it has the built in cush retainers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh nice, I like that retainer. I will have to find one that fits my bike. It just seems like it only makes sense to have those tabs.

·
30,379 Posts
Yup, my extra one is FBF. They are known to rebadge other peoples stuff so there is probably another sprocket mfg that will fit. It has the retainers.

$45 to your door if you want it.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Time for some updates. The eccentric was totally done for. I do not know how anyone could be so boneheaded to not know this was a major issue that needed to be addressed. On the bright side I got my swing-arm back from the machine shop today.

@MikeGyver I would be interested in that retainer if it is still available.

Here is the old eccentric hub followed by what I got back from the machine shop.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry for the long delay. So for an update I have everything back on the bike and its working like a champ. Well at least the everything on the swingarm is all good. I have found some more issues with the bike. It has the expanded gas tank which turns out is a common issue. It also seems to have an issue with the fuel pump which during some research I have found its a bad harness inside the tank. Oh the joys of owning a new used bike. Hopefully after this next summer all the kinks will be worked out. Then maybe I can love my bike again. Right shes just being a bitch. :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts