Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys I am about to start a build on a modern KLR650 cafe racer/supermoto/tracker/streetfighter hybrid bike. I'm looking for some inspiration. Anyone on here with a dual sport bike converted over?

My main goal right now is to figure out what to do with the tank. I'm thinking maybe an older KX400 or XL250/XR250 tank. Anyone know of cool smaller new tanks that have a channel for the frame to run through the center?

Also looking for headlight ideas. I normally rock the 7" round headlight but I'm wanting to change it up this time with something a little more modern

Thanks,
Spencer

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Number plate headlight? Check Yantosh's FOTY Kawasaki.

What tail are you going to run? Stock? Lots of dirt bike tanks have tunnels. Old RD tanks look nice. XS tanks look the part too, and they'll actually be steel.The little CB's had cool little tanks( 350, 360, 400, 500 & 550), but you'll pay top dollar for XS and CB tanks due to current fads. Lots of dirt bikes, even vintage ones, have plastic tanks. Which is supposed to be a no-no if you want one inspected for street duty.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Kinda like this?

Dues dr650, was going to take my DR down a similar path.... Take time on the tank, it matters a lot on this style of bike... IMO obviously...

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh and here. If you haven't already found this site there is a shit ton of inspiration for that type of style...

http://crossedpurpose.lincolnblack.com/
That page is actually what made me want to build a bike like that, thanks for the link.

Any idea what kind of tank that is on the DR650?

Shinyribs, thanks for the ideas. How are most people mounting the front of them. I doubt the original front mounts would fit over most modern bikes mounts. Maybe weld some tabs to the bottom and drill/tap some holes/weld tabs to the frame?The back mount will be super easy to fix.

Thanks,
Spencer

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Tank mounts will vary between tanks. Sorry I cant help more, but that's about it. CB's will have rubbers mounted on the frame and cups on the tank that sit on the rubbers. XS is exact opposite. Rubbers sit on nubs on the tank and fit into cups on the frame. Welding makes it easy, but if welding isn't available to you in sure you could get creative and work around it.

I always liked the look of belts. Leather belts, buckles and all. I think BMW might have mounted some tank with belts back in the day.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Luckily I do have access to a welder. I sold mine a few years ago but my buddy has one at his shop I can go out and use any time I need

I will get some pictures posted up this weekend of what I am working with so far.

Thanks,
Spencer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts