Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plant Road surface Fence Asphalt Grass

She's running like ass so I ripped the carb off and am cleaning the air filters with a recharge kit. Maybe that will help with some clean lungs and a freshly oiled mouth lol. Hopefully this fixes the dying while idling problem that just came out of nowhere. Ive literally never done this before so if I can do these 2 things and the bike runs better it will be a huge bump in my confidence that I am capable of wrenching on my bike alone.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Keep everything from each carb together in the relevant float bowl to avoid losing parts or swapping jets (sometimes inner and outer cylinders are jetted slightly differently)

You can use the float bowls as containers to soak the jets, float needle, etc. Mark the bowls and bodies with a marker so you can keep them separated.

Be gentle with the brass parts - gunsmithing screwdriver set is nice for this because the blades are not tapered and won't cam out of jets as easily as a regular old paint can opener.

Find exploded diagram early, often there's stuff in carbs that may not at first look like it comes out at all, or doesn't come out in an obvious fashion - sometimes there's a brass 'carrier' under or over the actual jet, for example. Make sure you grab carb cleaner with the red tube and spray through any and all passages you find or suspect. When you look through a clean jet at a light source, you should see a clean pinhole - if it doesn't look round, there's crap still in there. Small jets clogged with gummy or hardened crap can be poked out with something either softer than brass like a plastic bristle clipped off a broom, or with a piece of wire or etc and some care, though if your bike was running when pulled it's unlikely there's cemented in crap.

What else... inspect your float needle and seat for wear and detritus

You may also want to note down what your jetting is, what position needle clips or etc are in because concrete data is invaluable when working with motors and stuff, especially when you don't have to do a bunch of extra work to get it.
Turnip im so new to this alot of that is still kind of over my head so here is what I did. Removed carbs from the bike disconnected fuel line and throttle cable. 1 by 1 took the bowls of the carbs and scrubbed inside with parts cleaner and a tooth brush. Removed jets and made sure I could see through then made sure ill holes were clear by blowing fluid through then. Made sure ill floats were working properly. 1 jet is stripped out down inside i can't get it out. I saw gas that had obviously made its way through the gasket so a rebuild kit will be in order soon. Or just call new when taxes hit. I also clean the air filters and reoiled them as well as draining some oil cause I over filled. It ran this time without dying at idle but after I turn the idle knob to the right some. And with my luck of experience I don't know if it's idling to high?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep everything from each carb together in the relevant float bowl to avoid losing parts or swapping jets (sometimes inner and outer cylinders are jetted slightly differently)

You can use the float bowls as containers to soak the jets, float needle, etc. Mark the bowls and bodies with a marker so you can keep them separated.

Be gentle with the brass parts - gunsmithing screwdriver set is nice for this because the blades are not tapered and won't cam out of jets as easily as a regular old paint can opener.

Find exploded diagram early, often there's stuff in carbs that may not at first look like it comes out at all, or doesn't come out in an obvious fashion - sometimes there's a brass 'carrier' under or over the actual jet, for example. Make sure you grab carb cleaner with the red tube and spray through any and all passages you find or suspect. When you look through a clean jet at a light source, you should see a clean pinhole - if it doesn't look round, there's crap still in there. Small jets clogged with gummy or hardened crap can be poked out with something either softer than brass like a plastic bristle clipped off a broom, or with a piece of wire or etc and some care, though if your bike was running when pulled it's unlikely there's cemented in crap.

What else... inspect your float needle and seat for wear and detritus

You may also want to note down what your jetting is, what position needle clips or etc are in because concrete data is invaluable when working with motors and stuff, especially when you don't have to do a bunch of extra work to get it.
Also apologize for my mis placed words my spell check is fucking me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don’t know your tool situation but you should invest in a set of JIS screwdrivers. They look a lot like a Phillips but they have a slightly different tip profile. Most carb screws are JIS on Keihin and Mikuni carbs. You can tell by a small dimple on the heads. A phillips will work but eventually you’ll strip the heads that way.

Later, Doug
Gonna grab some Im noticing gas leaking out the bowls so I'm grabbing gasket material today gonna make my own gaskets for all 4 carbs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts