Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Frankenbike builder
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am saving up for a TIG right now, and it looks to be the most cost effective machine for bikes and such- anyone here have one?

·
Frankenbike builder
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice to hear- it is not water cooled, correct? Did you get everything you needed in one kit or did you order things like foot pedals seperate? I am going down to my local Airgas store this week and see what they want for it, and determine if is better to order online and have it shipped or pay for it in a store here. I have the Millermatic 145 MIG machine already.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
It isn't water cooled. I'd imagine it would increase the cost significantly. It came with everything except tungsten. I can't remember if it came with the pedal but I highly recommend getting it. The finger control on the torch is a bitch. I upgraded to a gas lens kit but I can't tell the difference. It took a lot of getting used to. Best advice I could give is to sit down while TIGing. I have a Miller MIG 175 that is very forgiving but the TIG requires much more control.

·
0.o i didn't do it
1,892 Posts
Definitely clean the spot if you stick the tungsten. Mike mentioned a gas lense set-up, those are good for winder conditions as they create a stronger n bigger gas field with a swirl effect instead of a standard cup which is a straight blow through. Foot pedals are nice for aluminum more then anything. I'm used to scratch start setups that just have a gas knob and the heat is set at the machine, that's what we use in the field onsite

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Frankenbike builder
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya, I got my certification on a really expensive commercial set up, it would cost me 6k just to get set up on that machine, much less the power source LOL

So I am pretty good at tig welding, got cert in all position stainless, aluminum and steel. Now I just need a machine to do work!

·
Fight it till it's right
607 Posts
Same here got the 165, but if you can, I would get the 180.
165 is fine, but the small headroom of 180 is nice - Plus the 180 can tig on regular 110v (not max amp but still) and that can be quite handy.
I had to install a dedicated 220v outlet for this little 165 and wish I would've read a bit more carefully on it (ie no 110v) :[

·
Frankenbike builder
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If your going to be doing anything more than hobby welding, I would consider a larger machine. That duty cycle is going to limit you bad, especially if your on aluminum. You should be able to pick up a used Syncrowave 250 or Precision Tig 275 for the same price.
Oh gawd I wish- I am on the outer island as it is, and I have scoured the state for a reasonable deal on a syncrowave, but fugataboutit! Looks like I am going to need to get a new machine, or go to work for the local scrap metal yard if I want to do any tig work LOL. I do have another iron in the fire in another direction that would put me in the direction of everything I covet for a bike shop again, but it is still pretty sketchy.

So, for now, I think I will start saving for the 180, so I can be a bit more portable and do some residential work here and there to fund the fun stuff LOL

·
Fight it till it's right
607 Posts

·
Frankenbike builder
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Since money is an issue, I would consider the Everlast PowerTig 185 - Great little machine that can be had for cheap:
http://www.amazon.com/Everlast-Powertig-Micro-Welder-Inverter/dp/B0081BEOD4
complete used kit here:
http://shreveport.craigslist.org/tls/3804340565.html

This guy knows his stuff and had a pretty good review of it:
Miller Diversion 180 and Everlast PowerTig 185 micro - YouTube

Sub $1k can't really go wrong.
Thanks- never heard of the everlast before now- will have to look at vid once I get home. no youtube at work LOL

·
Frankenbike builder
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since money is an issue, I would consider the Everlast PowerTig 185 - Great little machine that can be had for cheap:
http://www.amazon.com/Everlast-Powertig-Micro-Welder-Inverter/dp/B0081BEOD4
complete used kit here:
http://shreveport.craigslist.org/tls/3804340565.html

This guy knows his stuff and had a pretty good review of it:
Miller Diversion 180 and Everlast PowerTig 185 micro - YouTube

Sub $1k can't really go wrong.
Wow- I can't thank you enough for showing me that machine- quite frankly, I guess I was out of the loop and had no idea that a TIG machine like that even existed! I know with a TIG machine here, I can pick up enough odd jobs to pay for itself in a week- I would give you rep on this, but a personal thanks is what I really want to convey. Thanks Bro!:shocker:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts