Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
OLD GUY's RULE
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's the dilemma.
I found a 95 or something GSXR1100 that is crashed hard.
It is a dismantle only bike. And the frame is stresed at the head mount.
But not cracked.
But the guy said he has a 750 watercooled frame somewhere.
So now the question is will an 110 watercooler fit into a 750 watercooler frame without a lot of BS'n around?
Or I could buy the crashed bike and the frame and NOT swap it out and hope if I get stoped they don't check it.
Which in my case, with MY History is unlikely. So will it go in like an oilboiler 7/11 swap.
Can't find anything on it in Old School.
Any help?

·
Dumpster Diver
1,461 Posts
Gixxer.com has frame swap info. Please don't ride it less proper paperwork and inspect. That just hurts everyone else.

Reactions: goon73 and Pariah

·
OLD GUY's RULE
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gixxer.com has frame swap info. Please don't ride it less proper paperwork and inspect. That just hurts everyone else.
Yup I wanna do It right.
But the Frame is realy not hurt.
It took a fuck of a hit and there is just a bit of hazing on the aluminum where the head mount bracket is welded to the frame.
And on that they trashed the frame.
I have some pics but I need a thingy connector so I can load em from my phone.

·
******* Dumbass
5,796 Posts
Don't bet your life on the frame being good! Worst case is you find a frame off the interwebs and do it that way.

·
OLD GUY's RULE
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guy that has the crashed bike is a salvage shop and he said he has a 750 frame.
So need to know if it gonna go in.
This is a water cooler.
Just never heard of a 7/11 watercooler.

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Pm skrooze or sven

·
Strassenkämpfer for life
1,813 Posts
it is a straight drop in, I did it a couple years ago for a couple of friends and know several other guys who did it
but depending on the year there are a couple things you need to take care of but nothing major

what wiring harness and CDI you gonna use? there are a couple differences between 750 and 1100 wiring regarding ignition lock, fuel sensor, gear sensor and so on

what year frame is it? last two years 750 have slightly different motor mounts you may have to take off or bend a little

and of course the 750 header won't fit anymore
and the 1100 clutch is hydraulic not cable driven

that's pretty much it

EDIT: forgot about the oil/water interchange, the 750 don't have an external oil cooler but a oil/water interchange right where the oil filter sits
you may take it off the 750 and put in on the 1100 and spare the oil cooler as long as the motor isn't 'hot'
I wouldn't recommend to do so on a fully faired bike but on a fighter it isn't a problem to do so

·
fighter'n the good fight
1,092 Posts
ive been looking at doing a 7/11 water cooler myself and every thing iv ever read said its pretty much a straight swap. you have to do a little change in the electrical but thats all. sven will know for sure. ive found some info at http://forum.oldskoolsuzuki.info/ but not alot

·
688 Posts
Guy that has the crashed bike is a salvage shop and he said he has a 750 frame.
So need to know if it gonna go in.
This is a water cooler.
Just never heard of a 7/11 watercooler.
I'm pretty sure the 1100W will fit in the 750W frame. My 1100W motor is apart right now, but the bottom end bolts right up to my 750W frame.

·
Whomadethatmanagunner?
3,288 Posts
it is a straight drop in, I did it a couple years ago for a couple of friends and know several other guys who did it
but depending on the year there are a couple things you need to take care of but nothing major

what wiring harness and CDI you gonna use? there are a couple differences between 750 and 1100 wiring regarding ignition lock, fuel sensor, gear sensor and so on

what year frame is it? last two years 750 have slightly different motor mounts you may have to take off or bend a little

and of course the 750 header won't fit anymore
and the 1100 clutch is hydraulic not cable driven

that's pretty much it

EDIT: forgot about the oil/water interchange, the 750 don't have an external oil cooler but a oil/water interchange right where the oil filter sits
you may take it off the 750 and put in on the 1100 and spare the oil cooler as long as the motor isn't 'hot'
I wouldn't recommend to do so on a fully faired bike but on a fighter it isn't a problem to do so
god damn wealth of knowledge

·
OLD GUY's RULE
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok gonna go back and look at the 750 frame. See what year it is and all that.
He has it at another location and if the deal falls through I'm an asshat for wasting his time.
So just wanna make sure it's gonna go together first.
And since I got no skills to speak of I have to find someone to do the swap.
If I get it the motor wiring rad etc is going on the 750 frame.
The rear is in good shape, so could just swap the swinger too.
It only needs a front end to be a roller.
The other one he has is an older R1 with no fairings and one clipon busted off.
Front end is good on it. It belongs to a guy that wants $1500 for it.

·
Strassenkämpfer for life
1,813 Posts
...And since I got no skills to speak of I have to find someone to do the swap....
ahhh come on, it is not that hard ;)
it is a little easier with a buddy on hand but you can do it alone also

I did a little write up for you what to do to swap that thing around

MOTOR PULL OUT
- Secure the motor with a jack or something else
- Loose the 6 bolts that hold the motor in place. 2 bolts in front, 2 bolts below and 2 bolts behind the motor but keep the nuts on and the bolts in place for now
- Take off the right side frame brace
- Then take off the bolts from the right side. While pulling the motor out of the frame take off the bolts from the left side when needed

MOTOR DROP IN
- twist and angle the 1100 motor into the frame and slide in the bolts behind the motor first
- secure the motor with a jack or something else again
- then secure the left side bolts, reinstall the right side frame brace and secure the right side bolts
- tight down the bolts to proper specs

ELECTRICAL
-in case you want/have to mix GSX-R750W/1100W wiring harness, CDI and ignition lock check for a orange/yellow wire which connects to the CDI
solder a 100ohm-150ohm resistor between the orange/yellow wire and ground
in case you can't find that wire don't worry about it, you're good to go then

-there is a pink wire coming from the transmission heatshrinked with the neutral wire
this wire isn't in any diagrams and is for a the gear sensor to retard the ignition under certain circumstances
it connects to the left plug into the CDI, just leave the wire alone and insulate it in some way

-in case you have a GSX-R1100W gas tank and wiring harness you can reconnect/reuse the fuel level sensor
the GSX-R750W doesn't have the sensor nor the wiring for it

MISCELLANEOUS
-in case it is a '94-'95 frame, you will have the additional motor mounts above the engine
there are two brackets inside the frame under the gas tank and you'll need to either file them a little off to the inside or you just take the rear one off completely
otherwise the GSX-R1100W carbs won't clear - have a look at catman's build off bike, the things where the steering damper bolts onto

-you'll need either a hydraulic clutch master cylinder, a 14mm is good enough
or you convert the clutch to cable driven but that is a pain in the butt

-the 750's don't have external oil coolers but a oil/water interchange right where the oil filter sits
you may take it off the 750 and put in on the 1100 and spare the oil cooler as long as the motor isn't 'hot/tuned'

-the GSX-R750W header is to short to clear the motor/frame, a GSX-R1100W is necessary here

hope that helps a little and I haven't forgotten any essential steps :fingers_crossed:
it is not to much and can be done easily during a afternoon operation :rock:

·
OLD GUY's RULE
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I see some guys don't use the Head Mount from the top of the frame.
Can I get away with not using that motor mount on a 7/11?

·
Strassenkämpfer for life
1,813 Posts
you won't need the motor mounts and the earlier models 750 (92/93) / 1100 (93/94) like mine didn't even had them

oh and you get this swap even legally without the mounts in Germany with all their über-tough TÜV regulations

·
OLD GUY's RULE
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just need to see what title the 750 frame comes with.
And can i stuff a Busa swinger in that frame without to much machining and stuff?

·
Strassenkämpfer for life
1,813 Posts
It is not really a lot of work in the end but decide your self if it's worth it.

The Hayabusa swinger itself will fit with only new sleeves made for the bearings.
The swinger is way wider than the stock one and you'll need spacers for the rearsets and the chain slider doesn't fit anymore.
A spacer plate is necessary for the upper shock mount, I think it was a 4mm but I have it written down somewhere and can double check on that.
Then you have to figure a cushion lever, you either build something your self or you use the ZXR750 93/94 for it.
And you'll need to make some dogbones, either modify the ZXR ones or make complete new ones.
Then you'll have to decide what rearwheel you gonna use to see if the Hayabusa rear axle fits or not.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts