Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
NinJudSon
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done a Ninja 300 yet? Help with headlights!

I've got a 300. Had it for a few years. I really want to give it a streetfighter/cafe racer feel to it, but I've never done anything like that before. I've taken the fairings off and removed the headlight assembly completely, then put it all back together - I guess just to see what I will be working with. My main concern is with the headlights. I want to do a 7" or 8" diameter single light, but the stock light assembly has high beams and low beams and more than one connector. Do I need to purchase a light that has the same amount of wires/connectors? Or can I retro fit it somehow. I work in a metal fabrication shop (mostly sheet metal), but I have absolutely zero electrical experience, and I don't want to fudge anything up. Any help or tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
The friendly Ghost.
13,172 Posts
Two H7s are very easily converted to an H4 set up.

H7s should be the stock bulb in your headlights with two prongs each. One power and one switched. An H4, which is typical in 7" round headlights is a three prong bulb with one power and two switched. In order to convert them, you need to take one of the power lines and both switched lines to their respective prongs. H4 plugs are cheap and easy to get one that has a pig tail (short wire lines already attached, ready to solder into your stock harness) or learning to pin plugs yourself isn't hard.

Does that answer your question?

The major difference between the low beam and high beam headlights are the shape of the reflective lense, in the case of the dual H7s, these are unique to the high and low beams with the same bulbs. In the case of the 7" round, the reflective lense is the same and the H4 bulb has two locations of where it produces the light, this provides a different reflection and a different light pattern.

One issue with going to a 7" round is the light quality. You really need to spend a bit of money on your lights if you are going to ride at night. A cheaper 7" round won't throw light as well as your stock H7 lights and that will cause an issue down the road if you ride at night.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts