Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying one. It's $20 at the local everything-you-need, anytime-you-needit store. Supposedly the iron heats up instantly and cools off instantly.

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
Here's the deal:
it's a good tool to add to your toolbox, but not as a replacement to a good ole fashioned soldering iron...

they do work well for some things, but in narrow spaces, they are too big to work with

also... the tips are SUPER fragile... and they are $10 a piece...

think of it like the razor industry... they'll sell you the razor for cheap, but the replacement heads are where they kill you.

Same goes for the tips of these things...

Oh yea, they suck at de-soldering too.

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
As long as you have enough room to work with, they work great for simple jobs like that, and will save you a lot of time (and burns on your hands lol).

Just BE GENTLE with the tips, and buy a couple extra just in case...

But... if you need to desolder the wiring already in place... this may not be the tool for the job... you will DEFINITELY need a soldering wick, and even still people can rarely get the cold heat irons to melt enough of the solder to wick it away properly.

If you have a regular soldering iron... I'd say try the cold heat first for desoldering, but if it doesn't work well, go with regular iron, then when you put it back together, use the cold heat.

Like I said, it's definitely not a replacement for the soldering iron, but there are times where it can really shine as well. If you have a ton of small simple connections to make, it can save a lot of time and frustration.

·
Naked from the waste down
1,334 Posts
Yeah, he summed it up. I bought it. It's the biggest piece of shit compaired to a real soldering gun. I used mine once and I'll never use it again.

I've honestly had better luck wrapping two wires together with solder wire, then heat up with a lighter.

·
aka crash test
756 Posts
this thing is the hugest hunk of shit ever man dont even wast your money go get a cheap soldering iron a high wattage one heats up faster and makes a solder in miliseconds one they use for stain glass windows

·
British Bloke in Canada
2,146 Posts
Yeah I found that they arnt much good for doing wiring, your better off with one of those cigerette Lighter powered soldering irons, they work the best, they are refuelable and there allso good as a torchering device if you catch a bastad trying to steel your bike you can tie them to a chair and burn there nipples clean off....:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts