Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
It's my first post but I've been reading here for quite a while!

I currently own a 1999 Aprilia RS 50, running the Minarelli AM6 engine.

I've seen several street fighter conversion threads for RS 50's on here but I always have questions and I've tried to do the research and can never find the answers!

Question 1: Digital Dash!
I understand there are many universal digital dashboards compatible with the 2006+ RS 50 but I can't find a reasonably priced one that has the features of the stock analog one for the 1999 model! Can anyone help me find one? Preferably within the UK for less than £100.

Question 2: Forks & Risers!
I see many people using twin set forks with risers and Renthals on their RS 50's with very little modification.
Could somebody please enlighten me as to what forks they're using, how they're fitting the risers and exactly what modification is required to fit the stock wheel, disc and caliper?

Question 3: Headlights!
I've found the Dominator headlights to be to my sort of taste and I can pick up some on eBay with brackets for approximately £60, what electrical modification would I require to fit them to the bike?

Question 4: Fairings!
So many people seem to have side panels that fit directly on to the frame with absolutely no modification to the frame or bike what so ever.
What panels from what bikes are compatible with the 1999 RS 50.
I'm only interested in nose cones and left and right side panels as I want to leave the rest of the bike stock looking and the stock tank is quite sexy IMO.

Sorry for being new and asking four rather vague questions but I have to start somewhere!

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Regards,
David

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Hi there. Thats a badass little bike Sir. I honestly haven't seen any of those being done here. Maybe they're all in the minis section. Ill try to answerthese for the one at a time the best I can.

Hello everyone,
It's my first post but I've been reading here for quite a while!

I currently own a 1999 Aprilia RS 50, running the Minarelli AM6 engine.

I've seen several street fighter conversion threads for RS 50's on here but I always have questions and I've tried to do the research and can never find the answers!

Question 1: Digital Dash!
I understand there are many universal digital dashboards compatible with the 2006+ RS 50 but I can't find a reasonably priced one that has the features of the stock analog one for the 1999 model! Can anyone help me find one? Preferably within the UK for less than £100.

If youre looking for digital gauges, try the trailtech brand. Theyre very economical. Theres also a thread or two on this forum on the Ebay Koso knockoffs fro China for around $60. Tons of features and they seem to hold up well.
Question 2: Forks & Risers!
I see many people using twin set forks with risers and Renthals on their RS 50's with very little modification.
Could somebody please enlighten me as to what forks they're using, how they're fitting the risers and exactly what modification is required to fit the stock wheel, disc and caliper?
I've actually got nothing on fork swaps for these, sorry.

Question 3: Headlights!
I've found the Dominator headlights to be to my sort of taste and I can pick up some on eBay with brackets for approximately £60, what electrical modification would I require to fit them to the bike?
This really depends on the way your wiring is now but to be honest with you I've run dominators and the output sucks. There's also a thread in the DIY section here on MAKING your own headlight brackets out of aluminum flat stock for less than $10. I've done this and it works very well. I suggest doing that and putting the money you saved elsewhere.

Question 4: Fairings!
So many people seem to have side panels that fit directly on to the frame with absolutely no modification to the frame or bike what so ever.
What panels from what bikes are compatible with the 1999 RS 50.
I'm only interested in nose cones and left and right side panels as I want to leave the rest of the bike stock looking and the stock tank is quite sexy IMO.

Again Im of no help here sorry.

Sorry for being new and asking four rather vague questions but I have to start somewhere!

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Regards,
David
Hope that helps man and don't apologize. We all gotta start somewhere. Just search the forums here as hard as you can for things like the dominator headlight wiring and DIY headlight brackets as well as those Chinese Ebay Koso knockoffs. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information, I'll have a look into the digital dash boards and see how it goes.

FYI: Here's a post of an RS 50 street fighter I found previously on these forums, http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58065&page=1

As is the case most of the time though when I find posts of these projects, everything is explained, fuel tanks, custom brackets, lights and electrics however in most cases you'll see a picture of the bike with original forks and then suddenly in the next picture it has new forks, bars and risers and nobody ever says what parts they've used. Links they've left to parts are usually dead too!

Must be a trade secret!

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Forks - try something similar but naked? Really light bikes usually just use one leg with the spring and one with the damping, there's no need for two springs there. So maybe forks off of a Cagiva Planet, or 125 Tuono *might* fit? more likely the tuono since both are aprilias. You'd have to cross reference the bearing sizes and hope the stems fit for length (same as everyone else!) because not many folk are working on tiddlers like yours.

I hate to be a bastard but... 50cc streetfighter? Rly? What's it going to fight? You'll lose to a tuned 50cc twist and go. Are you at least going to fit an 80cc kit?

I think you should definitely bite this guy's hands off, then sit patiently for the rest of the parts you'll need:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APRILIA-T...pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item1c368b2dc9

The least you'll need is the matching year(s) tuono top yoke, a straight bar, the relevant (size) disc and either the tuono wheel or spacers to adapt your wheel to fit the axle and disc. Then I suppose a suitable headlight and some brackets, and a way to mount your new clocks.

And thus a (really slow) project is born!

I'd be asking what other motors (can be made to) fit, myself. Like matey in your thread link did. Does the 125 go anywhere near? Then you're talking, they have 30+hp without too much work and weigh naff all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts