Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I plan to convert my '02 Mille into a naked over the winter. I will have to get the Tuono bits (to make the bike look decent).

But apart from that there's another thing which is bugging me.

80 % of the time I ride with passenger and I find the Mille to have a pretty high position for the pillion. Seat is way high & the footpegs are too close to the rear fairing (resulting in a cramped position for the passenger).

I am curious if I want to swap my rear sub-frame with one from a different bike, which bikes can be compatible (if any of you know).

And if so, does changing the rear subframe, affect handling in anyway?

I believe it shouldn't be affected because the rearshock/shock linkage will remain untouched. Only the pillion position will change a bit (lower a bit, i think).

any input in this matter would be greatly appreciated

& Also if there are any topics here about modded Tuonos or RSV, let me know (i wasn't able to find any).

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
I wouldn't change the rear frame etc. unless you want to do that job. It's not worth it for improving passenger comfort, unless you want to fit the rear off of, oh say, a Goldwing... anything that looks good isn't going to have a comfortable rear seat.

What I'd do is fit these and a non-slip Triboseat cover.

I don't understand why a high pillion is an issue, but if you can get over it, just have the rear seat built up by 1-2" with a comfortable foam, and a non-slip cover. This gives more comfort, straighter knees, and a non-slip cover, releasing tension from the passenger's legs. This will also be cheaper and look more finished, if you have it done professionally.

Your woman will stop complaining soon after, either way you go.

Or you could do what I did and get a BMW GS to take the missus out on. I got a 650 and damn it's slow, but what's more fun than actually using your bike and arriving at your destination fresh - and carrying 3 boxes to load your gear into?!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't change the rear frame etc. unless you want to do that job. It's not worth it for improving passenger comfort, unless you want to fit the rear off of, oh say, a Goldwing... anything that looks good isn't going to have a comfortable rear seat.

What I'd do is fit these and a non-slip Triboseat cover.

I don't understand why a high pillion is an issue, but if you can get over it, just have the rear seat built up by 1-2" with a comfortable foam, and a non-slip cover. This gives more comfort, straighter knees, and a non-slip cover, releasing tension from the passenger's legs. This will also be cheaper and look more finished, if you have it done professionally.

Your woman will stop complaining soon after, either way you go.

Or you could do what I did and get a BMW GS to take the missus out on. I got a 650 and damn it's slow, but what's more fun than actually using your bike and arriving at your destination fresh - and carrying 3 boxes to load your gear into?!

Very well put mate... I'll scrap the idea..

the thing i complain mostly is not the saddle itself, rather the fact she doesn't have anything to hold on tight without fatigue...

i've seen some cool stuff on the web, some sort of clip ons that attach with a vacuum thing on the tank. now THAT I would like...

Other than that, I would like though to make the bike a naked one....All modifications would be reversible..

just need to get rid of: front fairing + windshield + headlight + mirrors + front fairing stay, side fairings,belly pan, ram air ducts

and get the Tuono ram air ducts, tuono side panels, tuono bellypan and install a round headlight (also keep all the RSV controls,switches, clip-ons etc etc..

I need to work on a new small frame to hold the dash (i'd like to keep the original dash)
and some brackets to fit the forks to hold the round headlight...

I've HAD an SV 650 N so I know all about the pain with the wind @ high speed :)

·
Registered
4,653 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
trade it in for a tuono and save yourself a lot of grief
To trade it for a Tuono would mean attempt to sell mine and then add MORE money to pay for the Tuono, which I am NOT gonna do.

RSV is selling for sh*t money here, so I don't wanna sell the bike for 1500-1600 eur and then put 4-500 eur and pay 2000 -2100 eur for a Tuono (that's about the price for a Tuono). Even though they are both IDENTICAL BIKES.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They make tank grab bars for the passenger. Someone else put one like this on his 900rr and said nothing but good things about it.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=221035799813
They don't inspire too much confidence (since the passenger holds onto the rider directly).

Did anybody see / order this?

http://www.cyclehandles.com/

they see the BEST solution.

The only concern I have is putting too much pressure/movement on the tank (tank fixing bolts),since every move the passenger makes gets transferred directly to the tank (hence the bolts which fit the tank onto the chassis).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.