Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my Girlfriends dad as a gift is giving me his old industrial arc welder as I have been wanting to learn to weld for a while now!

cant really afford to buy a proper welding setup etc

It seems to be everyone says arc welding is shit and mig/tig is the way to go but surely it cant be that shit since people use it?

what advantages does it have and what could it be used for? mile steel subframes etc

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
One huge advantage to stick welding is welding outdoors where there may be a breeze. Sticks are fluxed so they do fine, whereas others shielding gas can be blown away. Nothing at all wrong with stick welding, it just takes more skill to strike an arc. MIG was simply invented for mass production where wire feed was needed to improve speed/ reduce lost material.

With the rods available, you can weld any type of material with a stick, some just take more practice.

Congrats dude. Have fun with it!

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Nothing wrong with a stick welder. They can lay down beads just as well as a MIG with some practice.

Hopefully it's DC. Old AC stick welders can be a real pain to get the arc going. One nice thing is you are never going to run out of gas when you want to weld something and the welding supply store is closed.

I've read about guys converting stick welders to run buzz boxes for tig welding. In that case you would need to run a gas setup. It's old school but maybe it would be something to look into. I'm sure for the majority of your welding stick will be just fine.

You can even weld aluminum with a DC welder running a positive ground.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Out of curiosity since it's been so long since I heard about this I did some searching on using a tig setup on a arc welder. You don't need to use a buzz box unless it's an AC welder.

DC is a lot simpler and all you need is a regulator/argon tank and a torch with a manual gas valve. This is scratch start without a foot pedal so it's at a constant voltage while welding.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,518 Posts
My experience with stick welding was it was hard to do thin material. But, they have awesome penetration. If yer doing structural welding, they rock. For body / exhaust work, not so much. Could have been the box I had though; it ran 70-300 amps.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
awesome thanks guys :) will 'borrow' it off him hopefully next weekend and get practicing! got loads of tubing and offcuts of metal lying around from my CBR subframe that my mates welding for me so will have lots of bits to practice with

·
Cmon' Kitty!
777 Posts
Spend the money on a nice helmet (NOT HARBOR FREIGHT). I like the flip down lenses because I'm old.

Don't let the naysayers get you-I just patched the truck's exhaust with the arc welder, running it off a generator.

If you want to cheat when starting an arc you can drag the rod, it just takes practice.

Oh yeah, be sure to chip the slag off your welds before making a second pass or painting.

·
GOOROO of da POO POO
3,701 Posts
Big Arc welders are awesome. I'd chose them over a lot of the smaller economy inverter welders of current. You can do a lot with an arc welder, and you can do it pretty if you get good at it.

Also, you can buy an air cooled/ scratch start TIG torch with a little on/off knob for the argon... You'd be surprised how many people use scratch-start setups. There are nuances of challenge in the process, but once you work your way through them, you'll be good.

Things get a bit more complicated when it comes to aluminum, but for ferrous welding and braising, you'll be happy.

·
Cmon' Kitty!
777 Posts
Oh yeah, the big 4:
#1-Good mask
#2-Clean bare metal spot for your ground.
#3-Bare metal where you want to weld
#4-Heat=penetration when it needs to be structural. Remember, you're welding not laying on hot glue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts