Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
not a hugger
159 Posts
last year a guy took some perfect condition bike and did a couple cosmetic things over a couple weeks then said he was done. I think he was hoping to win if nobody finished there builds. But the work is the main concern. The sick end result is only as important as what was put in. And the more you do your self, or with help rather than just outsourcing every thing to someone, is taken into consideration.

·
we are 138
6,063 Posts
last year a guy took some perfect condition bike and did a couple cosmetic things over a couple weeks then said he was done. I think he was hoping to win if nobody finished there builds. But the work is the main concern. The sick end result is only as important as what was put in. And the more you do your self, or with help rather than just outsourcing every thing to someone, is taken into consideration.
Thats my plan. Start with an already nice bike and tweak a few things and im done. Dont want to give much away till i start a build thread. Quite a bit of "making it fit" various "upgrades" some "motorwork" and some "glasswork". Nothing that cutting edge, but you guys have finally convinced me to try something i currently dont know how to do. Im excited.
Props to everyone starting with pieces, thats just out of my league.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,671 Posts
Still I dont see how you haven't started on a build already. If you started with a frame and some parts I would agree that you started with parts and went from there. BUT !!! If you started with a frame that was cut up and planned to be something else then I would say that you have started already. AGAIN, I understand that many people start from different places but if you are trying to achieve FOTY from this project then I would say start from scratch like everyone else. Not from parts and an already put in motion plan.

also, ROB_OT Mine dont run neither! (TEXAS ACCENT)
Who are you?

Maybe start here: Noobville

:thumbsup:

·
"Fuck yo couch" -Socrates
1,017 Posts
Thats my plan. Start with an already nice bike and tweak a few things and im done. Dont want to give much away till i start a build thread. Quite a bit of "making it fit" various "upgrades" some "motorwork" and some "glasswork". Nothing that cutting edge, but you guys have finally convinced me to try something i currently dont know how to do. Im excited.
Props to everyone starting with pieces, thats just out of my league.

Maybe I'll powder coat the headlight bucket on my triumph and enter it too.........

No offense dude but the majority of us who entered poured countless hours of blood, sweat, and maybe some tears from those mamby pamby bitches lol into our builds. If I put a shit load of hard work into a build couldn't finish and lost to some dude who slapped an airfilter/exhaust and some shocks and just painted some shit I'd be a little pissed off.

Try and actually modify or build something. It's worth the effort just for the experience alone even if you don't finish, and will win you a lot more respect here.

Just one asshole's opinion though:D

·
we are 138
6,063 Posts
Maybe I'll powder coat the headlight bucket on my triumph and enter it too.........

No offense dude but the majority of us who entered poured countless hours of blood, sweat, and maybe some tears from those mamby pamby bitches lol into our builds. If I put a shit load of hard work into a build couldn't finish and lost to some dude who slapped an airfilter/exhaust and some shocks and just painted some shit I'd be a little pissed off.

Try and actually modify or build something. It's worth the effort just for the experience alone even if you don't finish, and will win you a lot more respect here.

Just one asshole's opinion though:D
How about an 08' zx6r swinger swap (on a 2003 z1000) 05' 636 forks and brakes
Zx9r cam upgrade zx10r throttlebodies and pods ignition module
Before i forget The cams have to be modified ,simple machinework. Only thing under the seat will be air, everything else will be moved.
The airfilter and exhaust was last week. Im steppin it up. :rock:
I do plan on doing a little more than just powdercoating a headlight. And the decade of working in a machineshop helps when trying to "modify" things.
But ya i know i cant compare myself to anyone around here. But im not going to let anyone deter me from doing what i want. You do you and ill do me.

·
builder in training
1,178 Posts
Before i forget The cams have to be modified ,simple machinework. Only thing under the seat will be air, everything else will be moved.
I do plan on doing a little more than just powdercoating a headlight. And the decade of working in a machineshop helps when trying to "modify" things.
But ya i know i cant compare myself to anyone around here. But im not going to let anyone deter me from doing what i want. You do you and ill do me.
sounds like you have a plan! i am looking forward to seeing what you end up doing. and it is always fun to see a machinist at work. what kind of machines do you run?

there are some crusty old bastards on here no doubt(no offense yall!), but those crusty old bastards have helped me out in more ways than i can count in advise and actual physical help. Nobody is going to deter you from doing work, but people tend to be really sensitive about what a "custom fighter" is, and dont want to see the name cheapened. (or at least that is what i pick up)

so it doesnt sound like there is any risk of that here. looking forward to your build!
~Chris

·
builder in training
1,178 Posts
Currently i babysit a couple cnc's and a gearshaper. But i did a lot of jobshop stuff with my last employer.
Started getting into buying stuff that doesnt bolt on ever since i found this place.
That sounds awesome. I work in a job shop on a couple old CBC lathes and a nice new five axis lathe. I am looking forward to what you come up with
Cheers
Chris

·
"Fuck yo couch" -Socrates
1,017 Posts

Well now, that's a whole lot more specific now isn't it lol. Sounds like I'll be eating my words watching your build :doh: which is good as that means it will likely be sweet and bad ass.

Did I mention I'm an asshole? haha

edit: Side note, someone has expressed interest in buying the monstrosity I built last build off, so if that pans out I might be looking for something too. Absolutely no idea what though, but I'd really like an XS650

·
☢
5,596 Posts
...Nobody is going to deter you from doing work, but people tend to be really sensitive about what a "custom fighter" is, and dont want to see the name cheapened. (or at least that is what i pick up)

so it doesnt sound like there is any risk of that here. looking forward to your build!
~Chris
Some people just need to try and make themselves feel superior to others.

And we shouldn't mistake hours of hard work with hours of good work :)

·
we are 138
6,063 Posts
No worries bro. Swingarm should be here by the second. Cams any day now. I have a feeling ill he making substantial purchases every two weeks till i have everything in hand. Really hope im not the one eating my words in may.
Its going to be fun :rock:

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
I WAS gonna go to a bike swap meet on sunday, seems like this fucking frankenstorm will dick things*up though. May take me even longer to find shit now...

·
1wheelfelons
273 Posts
i havent did any work yet at (job)been surfing the net and buying a few things the last couple days..:oops: if one the wife knew what I have been spending looks like ill get a month late start unless I can get my project to KC at the house. Hoping to leave Cali end of Nov

Each is their own when it comes to building a bike. their are some bikes that have turned out cool as shit with bolt on stuff. Like my self im outsourcing a lot of stuff just to get that 1of a kind look Im still starting with a frame and engine

Wish I had a cnc machine dam yoks ganna cost a shit load the way I want designed

·
GOOROO of da POO POO
3,701 Posts
The Warhorse... Goal is supercharger by end of build off...

XL600R, modernized suspension, frame, carbon fiber, Sport bike wheels...

quite honestly I'm at a loss on what route I want to go with the enduro engine... cafe... sumo...

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
I guess ill throw some bikes at this piece.

Finish the super bike and get the Kat punched out and boosted, custom single side with a car wheel :fu:
Nice, blow through or EFI?

61 - 80 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.