Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this winter im planning on doing a full tear down of my cbr and either getting my frame and tank professionally powder-coated or painted and i am leaning towards powdercoating. more than a couple people on here have powdercoated parts at home so i want to know if getting it done professionally is really worth the money. it seems like it is way easier to do a professional at home powdercoating job than a at home paintjob. i would have to build some sort of large brick oven do to my frame but since my stepdad is even more in to building bikes than i am im sure he would be hyped for me to build one.

i would still have to outsource for sandblasting and stuff.

basically how much money would i save if i did it myself and what are my chances of fucking it up entirely.

·
ThumpaMonsta
213 Posts
It'll probably be more expensive if you do it just the one time. I think people here who have a powder cabin did so because they do more than one bike or PC for friend so it brings the cost down. Kinda like setting up a home brewery... Your first beer is gonna be expensive as fuck but it'll only get cheaper from there on.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought a cheap HF kit and powder from prismatic powders and did a few of my own parts. Well worth it seeing as I probably had <$100 into it for all these parts. If you decide to do it, prep is key.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
I bought a cheap HF kit and powder from prismatic powders and did a few of my own parts. Well worth it seeing as I probably had <$100 into it for all these parts. If you decide to do it, prep is key.

Post pics of the setup.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

that coil is beautiful, is HF the brand? and i just found myself a sandblaster i can use so il be able to do the prep work proper

EDIT: HF=harbor freight, im retarded

·
Registered
23 Posts
As jelly said post the setup. Also, you did the rim? How challenging was that?
Sorry no photos taken of the setup. I did them at work where we have an oven i could use to bake the items. The setup was always mobile and consisted of a refrigerator cardboard box with a metal rod through it that i hooked to the system, kind of a make-shift paint booth. The most time consuming and difficult part of the rims was the prep, sand-blasting, pre-baking then cleaning with acetone. Shooting the powder is the easy part, then its the waiting game and see how it came out!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts