Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
V four honda whore
12,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i while ago i got really into track riding and wanted to do come racing aswell. but shallow pockets and shit skills made it imposibru for big bikes, VFR had no reasonable class to ride in too. So i eventually found a class for bikes up to two cylinders, 500cc and made up to 2003 (last year it was 2000)
As some of you might know i am all about :honda: plus i wanted bike to be with V engine layout, and i wanted bike to have mono shock.

so...
i introduce you to the project "pikachu" since bike will be yellow and why not(no relations to pokemon go boom that goes around now)

PS: waited for frame for about three or four months. searched for it since autumn

GENUINE JDM SHIT HERE

here's the engine i bought in april, no carbs tho(seller pic)

i also have cbr400rr tail and swingarm, as for front end i still have rc24 front end i took off vfr.

so idea is to assemble the bike with no big rush, but so i can ride it next years season

to do list is impressive:
  • fit engine
  • engine needs clutch
  • carbs (thinking about using half of vfr)
  • find a fuel tank that fits
  • fabricate subframe
  • CDI, a friend of mine said he can solder adjustable one
  • put suspension out, but for that i need decide what kind of rims i should use
  • exhaust
  • wiring
  • controls
  • paint it yellow. i'm also tempted to use 929rr fairing i have, not sure of size
  • i'm pretty sure i'm missing something, but that's the part of the adventure right?

i will try to mock something together during next week. but i have to share my happyness
:rock::rock::rock:

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
Re: Another bad financial decission named Pikachu

What is it? Only suitable Honda V twin I can think of would be bros 400, but that's pretty lacking on power even compared to a gpz500 or cb500 etc. Can you use any 650 parts to boost the CC?

·
V four honda whore
12,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

it is a bros 400 indeed :) well first aim is to lower the weight to the maximum. and possibly bigger bore. yes it is possible to use transalp and bigger hawk/bros parts.

but races are held on relatively small gokart tracks. so torque is the key factor here

Reactions: CK 187

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts

Bros rear wheels look heavy for a start, which vfr wheels could work?

I suspect the swing arm will restrict how big you can go on the rear sprocket.

I'm definitely interested, I always did like the Bros but as I had a CB-1 the 400 seemed a bit underwhelming.

Ps a quick google suggests vt500 pistons might be useful. First ever bros 500 would be cool.

·
V four honda whore
12,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

vt500 pistons are impossible to find, even used ones.

i dont plan to use SSSA, since that shit is heavy :) so any wheel will do. leaning towards latter ninja, they are lightest from OEM, but it depends on price. would like to put only honda stuff or custom on it. as for rear, i might end up using 150 or 160, since 160 is easyer to buy.

cant remember what kind of setup for bore and stroke it was, but it was possible to do 484cc or 494cc, that would be a cool displacement to have

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,029 Posts

VT 500 pistons

VT500 is 71x62mm.

The Bros 400 uses a smaller piston pin / conrod small end bearing size compared to the 650, so this is another thing to check together with piston pin to deck height.

Other stuff;

The 400 has the softest stock cams in the 52deg engine series, something could be gained easily here together with some slightly larger carbs from a 600 with pods and an open exhaust. Maybe up the compression ratio a little by skimming the heads. Maybe fit 650 heads for larger valves (if they are, haven't checked...)

But the 400 engine is even weaker than the 650, so tuning might be futile. Eg. the piston pin size..

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,029 Posts

Swingarm pivot widths. Just some food for thought

Honda Hawk GT650 - 235mm
Honda RC30 - 235mm
Suzuki TL1000S - 232mm
Kawasaki Z650/Z750 - 230mm
2004-2005 Suzuki GSXR750 - 230mm (without washers on ends)
2008 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R - 235mm
1999-2002 Suzuki SV650 - 235mm
2003-2009 Suzuki SV650 - 240mm
1998-2007 Yamaha YZF600R - 240mm

·
V four honda whore
12,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

i know about differences in pistons. so far the most reasonable thing is to just look up for place to order them made.

about cams, yep. africa twin has the best cams for the job. what else? heads are almost the same, few minor differences, where i dont see the point of buying ones, knowing that i have set of barrels and pistons of 400cc anyway :D

basically the whole idea is to have bike that's cheap to run and has enough power not to scare me, so i can push the limits of bike. therefore more fun to ride

·
V four honda whore
12,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

CK, are you a bros fan?

Reactions: CK 187

·
Is my bike ok?
15,001 Posts

so i can push the limits of bike. therefore more fun to ride

I like this train of thought. :rock:

Will any parts from this VF500 I've got do you any good? I've never heard of a Bros before now, but it's a nice looking engine for sure. I'd just as soon mail you bits of this bike than to continue banging my head against the wall with CL idiots. I have no idea what shipping would be like, but we can figure it out if you like. I have a pair of 3 spoke Honda rims here with Rossi tires on them. I think the rear is a 140 though. Yours for the shipping if you want them.

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts

Bros 650 was called a hawk gt in the states. Kind of a cult bike still.

·
V four honda whore
12,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Have to think about it Eric. All i know now i have to focus on rc36 to be done by end of tomorrow. Then this bike

1 - 20 of 184 Posts