Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Rollin hard in Wiscompton
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooooooooooooooo.............I'm back. With another one. Which in a way sucks, because this new forum format means nobody sees my epic project failure list in my signature anymore.........

So I've been dying to get riding again, everybodies seen my posts, seen my projects, etc. I still have the Madura, but sold the Tempter, and have had zero motivation to try to get the Madura up and running yet. Like......I for real want to ride that mythical beast, all 1200cc of angry V4 power, but I just...I got too much shit going on I need to finish, and I really dont know if I want to tear into a non-runner again.

So recently, I was finally getting my shit together. Couple hoopties in the driveway, great job, just not much time for things. Finally got to the point I could buy a "new" vehicle, and did so, so that I could have time to finish up the house, clear out the yard, prolly get rid of storage, etc, and then I'd finally have time to finish working on the hoopties.
2011 F150, great condition. Had it just over a month, then it got totaled thanks to some glowing green cdl holder who couldn't figure out how NOT to set a dumpster on a fucking hill, or how to set his fucking parking break. Long story short, child support took my settlement, so I have no cash, I have no truck, and I still owe my mom a LOT of money for a personal loan used to pay off the truck. Fuck me.

So in panic mode while waiting to hear back from insurance on what was happening with the truck, I sold off one of the hoopties, bought a running bike so that I could at least start saving gas and not drive the hoopties any more than necessary until I have time to fix them. It. Whatever.

So...I guess....introducing the next project.

1981 Honda CB900 Custom
1 eyed purple people eater

I gotta say this is one damn nice bike. I got on this thing, started riding, and it's like I never stopped. I've been riding it to work and back since I bought it, and I'm getting more and more comfortable with how it handles, how it rides, etc.

Now....that being said.....this is ME here. Y'all already know where this goes. It needs changes. Now with that being said, if I can't start it after work Friday and finish it before work Monday, it's not happening. And honestly I don't actually have too much I really feel the need to do.

Biggest change? She's too goddamn tall. This isn't too terrible when I'm by myself. I mean, yeah, I gotta haul my leg up, and almost jump over from side to side to get myself on the saddle right, but once I'm on it, my feet are reasonably on the ground. However, took my wife for a ride and fuck me running it was too much top weight. Need to bring it down.
Rear shocks are 13" long, I'm looking for 11" shocks. This will still leave some reasonable clearance between tire and fender.
Also looking to lower the front. For right now I just need to move the fuse panel out of the way, and then I can slide the forks up in the trees. Planning a solid 2 inches front and rear. Should make a MASSIVE difference in everything. Might need to shorten my side stand though.

One thing I'm greatly looking forward to, is building this as a Honda clone of my dad's old XS1100. I've talked about his bike in the past. 83? Yamaha XS1100. Slowly assembled a full Vetter kit on it. Windjammer, with lower leg shields, and radio housing, Vetter hard bags, Vetter trunk. We had a hitch on it, and towed a tiny trailer behind us. Had a 4-1 exhaust with a SuperTrapp muffler. It made great memories for me.

So the CB900 came with a Windjammer fairing already. This past weekend I sourced a matching trunk, and even better, the keys match! Went to put the trunk on my current rack and remove the trunk thats on it, just to realize someone did a pretty decent job of making a Suzuki setup work. So not this coming weekend, but next weekend I have arrangements to go pick up a set of hard bags and trunk with the full Honda bracket set to mount on my bike. It'll be nice to have the full Vetter set mounted up!

I realize not a fighter of any kind this time, but at least its something!

I've got a bunch of small stuff to do this thing ranging from ignition improvements to lighting improvements, different bars, etc. It'll be nice to share this small bit of build as it goes!

Attachments

·
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone on here super familiar with CB parts? I'm heavily eyeballing 90-91 CBR1000F front end for this thing.

Rear wheel right now is a 16x2.5, and front is 19x2.15.

Can't get much wider in rear because of the shaft drive, so I'm looking at an '82 CX500 17x2.75 rear wheel, move from 130/90-16 to 130/90-17.

In front, if I can use the CBR1000F front end, that gets me a 17x2.5, and I'd move from a 110/90-19 to a 120/90-17. It would also net me larger brakes, twin pot calipers, and move to cartridge forks instead of air assist pogo sticks.

Does anyone by chance have the measurements for the CBR1000F forks? I know they're 41mm, but I can't find a length from axle to top, or the length of the steering stem between the trees.

·
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some updates. Most what I had above for swap parts is out the window. After some discussion about the bike and front ends, with consideration to weight being added to the bike (fairing, bags, my being fatter than most riders, etc), I'm instead going to be using a GL1200 front end. GL1200 is easily a couple hundred pounds heavier than the CB900 in stock form. It'll handle the weight better.

It also comes with a 16" front wheel. Looks like instead of using the CX500 rear wheel, I'll be looking for a GL1100 wheel instead so that I can have matching (or similar) alloys front and rear. New tire sizes will be 130/90-16 rear and 120/90-16 front.

Meanwhile, I picked up a full Vetter rear luggage set from a 70's CB750. Got the bag frames mounted, bags hung in. I need to make a custom rack to mount the trunk with. I think I'm going to cut up and reuse the Suzuki rack that was on the bike, as it has quick release hardware for the trunk, and the trunk was just a generic piece modified to work with the Suzuki rack. By using the mounting hardware I can make my Vetter trunk a quick release as well for when it's just me on the bike.

Building up a HondaGlide with a Vetter Tour Pack over here lol!

New LED headlight is installed and seems pretty decent, though I need to wire up a relay set, because the damn thing dims down notically when I hit the brakes, and it's flashing with the turn signals. But as we all know, 80's bike wiring is dismal at best. I'll be running a Stinger 4channel solid state relay and a dedicated grounding block in the fairing to run the headlight and aux lights off of.

Should be picking up the GL1200 front end this weekend, and a new seat too!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts