Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Rollin hard in Wiscompton
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Love the soundof the cb engine. Nothing else quiet like it.
This one so far has had 3 different sounds to it. Smooth but quiet baffled exhaust (and this is already not a stock exhaust). 4 open pipes (obviously I had to hear it when I had the mufflers off). And smooth but loud and angry baffles removed exhaust.

Third one sounds very, VERY race bike. Not sure the neighborhood agreed.

·
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Alright alright alright! So MarksAC got back from Ratfighters with my modified swingarm. He clearanced the driveshaft tube, and then had to make a small modification to the stay arm for the brakes due to the arm rubbing the larger tire.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Road surface Fender

Shoe Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Wood Tread

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

The following picture doesn't do the tire clearance justice. It clears pretty well, no rubbing from flexing, etc. Took it out for a hard rip, not a thing.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Automotive lighting

So I got the back end all back together, new pads installed on the rear, still need to flush the brakes though.
After all that, I moved forward, got the holes marked and drilled to install the new switches (original holes for the nubs that keep the pods from spinning in place were in different places than these aftermarket units), remounted the clutch and brakes, got everything settled.

Of course, I managed to absolutely fuck up where the holes went, so now the pods don't align with each other, and honestly i'm not entirely sure which one I want to move. I don't know if I want the left one to turn up or the right one to turn down. I need to play around with the location of the bars some, make sure I have them at the angle I want too. Should be able to better figure out the switches after that.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

But it is damn nice to have these newer switches compared to the ancient ones it used to have.
You can also see that I /REALLY/ need to do some trimming on the Vetter lower fairing pieces. These came off a Suzuki, so they need trimming to properly sit around the engine casings on the Honda.

But all in all here is the end of everything today.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

So onward and forward!

The list is dwindling down piece by piece.

·
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I /REALLY/ need to start recording material of my build. Had a perfect chance to get some footage today of doing maintenance at work after hours, not a damn thing.

Anyway. Did a cold drain and fill of the diffrential and hi/low box. What came out wasn't pretty. Can't wait to see what the oil looks like O_O

I think I figured out what brand the current exhaust is though. Found a baffle on ebay that matches the baffles I have now, it was listed as a MAC baffle. Did a search for MAC CB900C and sure enough, found the exhaust I have.

Filled the tank Sunday. Rode to work the last 2 days. Filled up this morning on the way to work. Between shitty winter gas and running without baffles, I'm down to 30mpg. That's from a high point of 38 before winter.

Can also feel the difference in how it runs without the baffles. They're definitely going back in.

Might swap them for some perf core style baffles though. Would love to still have a more aggressive sound, but don't need it this aggressive lol

·
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ok, pile of parts are incoming!

New brake master and fork seals are already here, shift shaft seal, Progressive fork springs, shorter rear shocks, new throttle, and anything else I needed are on their way. Should be able to get everything prepped this weekend, and then do my swaps by next weekend when I'm off work again. I can't wait.

With the weather getting warmer too, I'm hoping to get all the parts installed by next Saturday, because I have a nice scenic route I like to ride, and would love to go ride it next Sunday!

·
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well, pretty much everything is here, but I've hit a snag. Bike is gonna be down for a while.

Plus side, it's nothing to do with any of my parts swaps.
Downside, it's motor.

Last couple rides been really hearing some internal noise, sounding like loose chains. Also been noticing a reduced rev limit (related? dunno). Did the tensioner adjustments, noise went away after startup, but a good ride and back to the house, and it was back like it never went away.

I'm gonna try to do the adjustments one more time, and see where it goes from there, but I expect I'm gonna be pulling it apart to replace the guides.

On the other hand, it's a good excuse to throw more upgrades at it, like the updated shift star, a new clutch, and swap the exhaust, and get better access to install the new throttle cable. And replace as many seals as possible.

·
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ok, so major update!

Front end swap is done. Progressive springs, Honda fluid, All Balls seals, K&L seal kits for all the brake parts, seems to ride good. Little hard to tell since the ATV shocks I put on the back are nothing more than decorative bricks. Fuck it's hard to tell how it's really riding with that locked up rear lol

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

So, had to do a couple minor mods for it to work. Had to cut the steering stop off the lower triple, the stop that was riveted to the neck on the frame, cut the studs and drill new holes in the gauge cluster mounting plate to match the mounting ears on the GL1200 upper triple, and topped it off with using a GL1500 speedo cable. Speedo is only about 1 mph off at 60. I can live with that!

Need to iron out a couple wrinkles, but overall happy with it.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts