1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
any of the older craftsman/atlas lathes seem to hold their value and hold up well over the years. ive also seen a lot of stuff about making parts, add ons, and accessories for them

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very true I'm going to ask for a video as I don't know how to use one yet. He's an older guy who was a machinest and said its true and comes with all chucks tools pictured. Like I said its a good 2-2 1/2 hours away so I'm kinda going on faith. Most older guys in the south are honest good men. He seems like one of those.

If I drive down there next weekend and see it what should I do to test it to make sure I'm not throwing $500 at hunk of junk

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And I brought up price he didn't want budge

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
I'm looking at this on my phone so I can't really see the pics that well. It looks like a pretty short bed. Doesn't seem the have a lot of tooling there. Will it cut metric threads?

I picked up an older lathe a while back that had a pile of tooling with it. Buckets full. Its a 10" machine with a 48" bed for $875.

I picked up one of the harbor freight 6" lathes a while back for $200. Sold it that day for $400.

That's not a horrible price or a bad machine IMO. But a little patience and another $200-300 you could probably land something bigger, stronger and better equipped. Just a thought. Id offer $375 and shoot for $425-450 .

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any Lathe that's anywhere within 5 hours is huge commercial grade shit that goes for 3k and up. I've been looking for months and this is the best I came up with. So you guys think I should just pass? Idk now im torn

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And I'm trying to stay in the $500 area so not much quality out there for that but this seems quality and pretty good but once again you guys are making me question it

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Lathes around here go for a lot more than that, but that lathe does look small. It would be good for smaller pieces. I bought a 10x18 thinking it would be big enough, but I find it small for some things. I know what it's like to want one of these but patience will pay off I the long run. You have to factor your time and fuel into the equation too. Pass, you'll be happy you did

·
Rable Rable Rable
8,319 Posts
Agree with the guys who don't like the bed length. For one that short I'd need what I believe is called a pass-through head, that allows you to feed material from beyond the head through the chuck. Being able to true the ends of tube is a big deal to me.

I'd be at about $300 on that machine depending on the quality of the motor he's supplying. That style of power drive is hillbilly deluxe.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So pass it is. Damn I hate you guys for killing my hopes but I'll thank you in the long run when I have a better one

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,518 Posts
Hack Factory has one almost exactly like that (looks same in all respects, think its a Craftsman). Its OK for small stuff and softer metals, but damn near useless for doing stuff like steel spacers. Also gets out of adjustment easy.

The price that guy is charging, he's selling it as a collectors item. We got ours free from the local university as a donation.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like the old school style and as long as I can make all types of spacers from aluminum or steel and maybe a steering stem or a sleeve for an axle or pivot bolt I'd be happy. Do you guys think this one is to small to meet my simple needs?

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,518 Posts
This may be true; my setup skills aren't that good, no training, and the lathe often has some parts out of whack (wiggle in the cross table motion). So yeah.... more accurate to say it takes some more skill to use to do steel, and I've never seen anybody do so successfully. Very easy to end up with chatter.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Yeah, the size of the machine has nothing to do with the cutting tool being setup right or not.

External motors are very common.

Its not a bad model at all, and it could very well do everything you'd ever want it to (especially for bikes) , I just thought the price was a little steep.

It tools me literally years before I found a good deal on a machine. And it was 6 hours away. Seems all the deals on lathes and mills are either in North Carolina or Pennsylvania. Haha

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The guy says it had an 18in work space.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts