Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been working on this for a year. It still needs detailing so suggestions are welcome.
Most mods are done but I got to the point I just wanted to start riding the thing.
I must admit to being a learner on this bike because its 5 years since I last rode and this is a rocket compaired to the xs650 I had.
I will attempt to load pictures of before and after but as I said, pipe in, it is still a work in progress.
I look forward learning from you all and sharing what I am doing, Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,667 Posts
Welcome in mate, like the bike nice and clean! Bit on the slow side here ATM, good to get some new blood in!

·
BLACK BELT
7,090 Posts
Looks like you've done quite a bit already.

Not a lot of suggestions atm, but a steering damper might be a good idea.

Welcome from SoCal. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like you've done quite a bit already.

Not a lot of suggestions atm, but a steering damper might be a good idea.

Welcome from SoCal. :thumbsup:
thanks, thinking of chopping the tank to give a better line with the seat, show off the motor rear cyl and maybe drop some more weight.
what do you think?

·
BLACK BELT
7,090 Posts
thanks, thinking of chopping the tank to give a better line with the seat, show off the motor rear cyl and maybe drop some more weight.
what do you think?
I think it's a cool idea.

To do it well isn't easy, but you can do it.

If you're motivated, and do work, the good people here will let you know when you go wrong. :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Touching base. Lately I have fitted a Black widow gen3 system to the gen1. The rear end has been restored to standard height with custom dog bones to allow for the shorter shock. And now I am in the process of fitting a custom intake with a single throttle body. and then I will start the custom tank.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Auto part Fuel line Engine Vehicle Carburetor

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Touching base. Lately I have fitted a Black widow gen3 system to the gen1. The rear end has been restored to standard height with custom dog bones to allow for the shorter shock. And now I am in the process of fitting a custom intake with a single throttle body. and then I will start the custom tank.
View attachment 148452 View attachment 148453
My air filter just arrived and I am booked in for dyno tuning 14 Jan 21.
It took a bit to find a dyno operator willing to try something a bit different. some wont look at anything that is not EFI.
I have worked out the throttle linkages but havn't fitted them on yet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
An update
I notched out the metering pickup,(to reduce the minimum fuel flow rate) but due to tight tolerances not much was gained.
I may have to live with a hi idle but the exhaust noise is way louder.(too loud a real surprise)
I will do some more fine adjustments and test rides tomorrow. but dyno tuning still won't happen till mid January)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some interesting reading. Full History – Minnowfish Carb History
I have spoken to Bob Henderson the author in Scotland via phone, Who up to a couple of years ago produced minnow fish carburettors (the euro version for small cars) and custom setup cars on a dyno nearly everyday for years.
And David Visard a famous tuner loved using the Reece fish counterfeit version for euro cars

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok. Time for an update,
If idle speed is correct too much fuel is being delivered thru out the whole range. If I adjust for a 3500 rpm Idle I can get it all good.
So I am going to try a 2nd spray bar I have for the 100 hp version which has smaller holes I am not sure of compatibility with this larger TB but it's the best bet at this time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I through myself a curve for a couple of days by not pressing to rear of the manifold all the way home. but I should be back on track now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had my first dyno session and the results were good It;s still a work in progress
My single throttle body made slightly better torque mid range and only hp down max power , compared to the figures in the manual.
I don't know if the published figures are crankshaft power or wheel hp. My results are whp on a dynojet dyno.
Despite good result Idle is way rich and at wide open the throttle was not fully open.
So I am hopeful of even better results soon plus I have some hi lift factory cams from a later model to try

·
Registered
116 Posts
Welcome In,
Sv are a nice torquey motor but I've never seen one cafe racer stile before. Nice one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Next stage. on my sv650 cafe racer all mixtures seem ok (will dyno again before cam swap.)
Getting really frustrated by intermittent fuel cutting out. when I have previously checked the vac fuel pump it has looked ok but today it did it again and the pump was not working.
I believe a new vac pump should work reliably on my custom intake system but, I have an electric pump so despite wanting to retain the standard pump that's the job at hand.
So the pump I have fits well, I have made a cross shaped bracket which mounts where the stock pump bolted to the frame using the stock rubbers and bolts.
The pump runs inside the right frame in the standard place.
Next the bit I dreaded finding 12v to run the pump.
After sliding back the rubber boot on the harness I found an unused 2 wire connector one wire black/white -earth and orange/yellow + 12v ign switched
Looks like its for carby heating not used here, Perfect

So tomorrow it should be done and I will post how it goes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fuel pumps all good. It seems to be a bit rich 3-5k rpm light load but I think I will wait for next dyno session.

Cold air intake?
I was thinking of fitting a baffle to separate hot air from the radiator but if I go to that much effort I feel I may as well make a cold air intake.

So, I don't have the standard air cleaner but if I use the original air box shape around the seam as a starting point.
Once I have a neat fit to the inside shape of the tank some foam will seal it off.

Now to get air in, race cold air intakes twist down to the small gap between the radiator an the frame.
After scratching my head a while I decided a scoop on the top of the tank didn't do it for me. But standing back and looking, it appears the natural place is to make the handlebar dents into scoops. I think they are already in some positive air flow and won't be obvious. The dents will go through to the air cleaner.

So as usual I am interested in what ideas others have before starting.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 54 Posts