Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Australian 2002 sv650 cafe racer/fighter

8K views 59 replies 7 participants last post by  gt alex 
#1 ·
Hi, I have been working on this for a year. It still needs detailing so suggestions are welcome.
Most mods are done but I got to the point I just wanted to start riding the thing.
I must admit to being a learner on this bike because its 5 years since I last rode and this is a rocket compaired to the xs650 I had.
I will attempt to load pictures of before and after but as I said, pipe in, it is still a work in progress.
I look forward learning from you all and sharing what I am doing, Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome in mate, like the bike nice and clean! Bit on the slow side here ATM, good to get some new blood in!

#8 ·
Touching base. Lately I have fitted a Black widow gen3 system to the gen1. The rear end has been restored to standard height with custom dog bones to allow for the shorter shock. And now I am in the process of fitting a custom intake with a single throttle body. and then I will start the custom tank.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Alloy wheel
Auto part Fuel line Engine Vehicle Carburetor

#9 ·
My air filter just arrived and I am booked in for dyno tuning 14 Jan 21.
It took a bit to find a dyno operator willing to try something a bit different. some wont look at anything that is not EFI.
I have worked out the throttle linkages but havn't fitted them on yet.

#11 ·
An update
I notched out the metering pickup,(to reduce the minimum fuel flow rate) but due to tight tolerances not much was gained.
I may have to live with a hi idle but the exhaust noise is way louder.(too loud a real surprise)
I will do some more fine adjustments and test rides tomorrow. but dyno tuning still won't happen till mid January)

#12 ·
Some interesting reading. Full History – Minnowfish Carb History
I have spoken to Bob Henderson the author in Scotland via phone, Who up to a couple of years ago produced minnow fish carburettors (the euro version for small cars) and custom setup cars on a dyno nearly everyday for years.
And David Visard a famous tuner loved using the Reece fish counterfeit version for euro cars

#13 ·
Ok. Time for an update,
If idle speed is correct too much fuel is being delivered thru out the whole range. If I adjust for a 3500 rpm Idle I can get it all good.
So I am going to try a 2nd spray bar I have for the 100 hp version which has smaller holes I am not sure of compatibility with this larger TB but it's the best bet at this time.

#16 ·
I had my first dyno session and the results were good It;s still a work in progress
My single throttle body made slightly better torque mid range and only hp down max power , compared to the figures in the manual.
I don't know if the published figures are crankshaft power or wheel hp. My results are whp on a dynojet dyno.
Despite good result Idle is way rich and at wide open the throttle was not fully open.
So I am hopeful of even better results soon plus I have some hi lift factory cams from a later model to try

#19 ·
Next stage. on my sv650 cafe racer all mixtures seem ok (will dyno again before cam swap.)
Getting really frustrated by intermittent fuel cutting out. when I have previously checked the vac fuel pump it has looked ok but today it did it again and the pump was not working.
I believe a new vac pump should work reliably on my custom intake system but, I have an electric pump so despite wanting to retain the standard pump that's the job at hand.
So the pump I have fits well, I have made a cross shaped bracket which mounts where the stock pump bolted to the frame using the stock rubbers and bolts.
The pump runs inside the right frame in the standard place.
Next the bit I dreaded finding 12v to run the pump.
After sliding back the rubber boot on the harness I found an unused 2 wire connector one wire black/white -earth and orange/yellow + 12v ign switched
Looks like its for carby heating not used here, Perfect

So tomorrow it should be done and I will post how it goes.

#20 ·
Fuel pumps all good. It seems to be a bit rich 3-5k rpm light load but I think I will wait for next dyno session.

Cold air intake?
I was thinking of fitting a baffle to separate hot air from the radiator but if I go to that much effort I feel I may as well make a cold air intake.

So, I don't have the standard air cleaner but if I use the original air box shape around the seam as a starting point.
Once I have a neat fit to the inside shape of the tank some foam will seal it off.

Now to get air in, race cold air intakes twist down to the small gap between the radiator an the frame.
After scratching my head a while I decided a scoop on the top of the tank didn't do it for me. But standing back and looking, it appears the natural place is to make the handlebar dents into scoops. I think they are already in some positive air flow and won't be obvious. The dents will go through to the air cleaner.

So as usual I am interested in what ideas others have before starting.
Thanks

#22 ·
Hopefully I will get some more dyno time 24/6.
The bike "seems" to be riding really well so incase not much tuning is needed I am making a list of things to test back to back e.g. air filter on and off, Plasma ignition leads on and off, balance tube and no balance tube.
All tests have been done so far with the TPS wound to full throttle position ...connect or leave as is.
Also the intake runs really cold maybe I could try it wrapped and not wrapped.

Are there other tests anyone can think of that may help?
Should I ask for results in Din HP or some other?

#23 ·
The weather was very average this morning so rather than ride 1/2 hr to the dyno in rain I have rescheduled the test session and spent about 6hrs, making, fitting and wiring the TPS. Since the cdi was designed to work with the tps, I think it's the thing to do.

#25 ·
Cold is good for an intake but despite running well once started, the weather here has gone single digits on the Celsius scale.
The result is wet plugs that won't fire up.
So I am going to wrap the centre of the manifold with silicone tape holding a wire wound resister against the manifold to heat it a bit on start up.
I've never done this before so comments are welcome.
And if it needs it, I will run a pipe from between the heads for warning once running.
Also I have ordered a 10mm Colortune kit to help get bottom end mixtures better, so I am looking forward to that arriving.

#26 ·
I made a heater from some resistors and fitted it to a test pipe with silicon tape.
Result heater quickly heated to 40 deg C and was47 after 10 minutes the pipe temp increased 3 deg C after 10mins.
So 15 Minutes Should work well on my Intake.
Now I need sort how to fit it neatly to the Bike and turn in on and off without Ignition on.

#27 ·
I bought some quick release pins to make it easer the flip the tank up.
I drilled out the threads with a 6mm drill, the pins measured 5.9 mm and across the locking balls is 6.9.
The pins are heaver construction than I expected. and the shank is 35mm long, 5mm longer than needed.
My plan was to shim the extra length but despite measuring the required length I have ended up 11mm oversize and the top triple hits them on lock.
So new plan, order 2 more with 25mm shank. 10mm shorter

#29 ·
Got a Colortune today, it is magic.
I only used it on the rear cylinder the front is too awkward.
Its a spark plug with a window so you can see the colour of the combustion and check the mixture.
I put it on and idle was correct (not surprising there is a air corrector to get idle correct) from idle to 5000 was rich then from 5000 up was good all checked free revving on a stand.
So I adjusted the higher revs to be richer and then leaned the whole range to be correct.
Its such a good feeling when You can see the combustion colour as you build revs and it is all good.
The bike had been running well but I knew it needed tweaking and the Color tune made it so easy. Adjustment took only 15 minutes.

#30 ·
I was trying to source advice from the man that had the world patent (except us) and was the only legitimate manufacturer outside the U.S. Bob Henderson in Scotland.
I was saying, once I have this sorted best I can, I would like to try dual fish on the sv,
This is a extract of the relevant part of his reply,, Just thought I would share it as it may shed some light on why I am starting with the single throttle body.

"As to using "twins" there would have to be a VERY exceptional reason for doing so!
Rememer all our racing car successes and Championshiups were always on a "single".(from Nurberg Ring to Le Mans)
Most of the conventional reasons for using "twins" do not usually apply when using the "Fish" principle. Including some very awkward aero "set ups"."

P.S.
I got the correct quick release pins for my tank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.