Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
the water cooled engine is wider because of water passages in the the head and associated pump parts. The watercooled frame and oil cooled frame have different mounting points for the engine, so those will need to be modified pretty extensively.

I've seen the projects being on forums but never a finished product

·
If in Doubt Flat Out
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not looking for anyone to hold my hand just money for my project is scarce and really want to have all the facts and figures before I fork out for a new engine. Racing geek I seen your thread before I put this post up its kinda what made me think I better see what's involved. Been looking at what's involved with using rf900 internals on my current engine as a backup but would love to have an oil cooled engine as I think they look a lot better on a naked bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
I would definitely be prepared for a lot of unexpected issues. Like where the chain runs. Make sure it of course lines up with the swinger/wheel setup. Hell you might as well buy an oil cooled frame, and engine then swap swinger forks and wheels. Much easier and a lot more straight forward.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
If in Doubt Flat Out
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would definitely be prepared for a lot of unexpected issues. Like where the chain runs. Make sure it of course lines up with the swinger/wheel setup. Hell you might as well buy an oil cooled frame, and engine then swap swinger forks and wheels. Much easier and a lot more straight forward.

I was actually thinking that mate lol. If I had known what I know now I wouldn't have bought the bike ;)

·
If in Doubt Flat Out
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hahahaha yeah sometimes that's just how it is. So is there something wrong with your current engine? Or just looking for a bigger power plant?

Just wanted an oil cooled and thought if I was gonna go to the trouble I might as well have the biggest one. I'm liking the idea off the rf900 with my 750 head now though some decent power hikes to be had

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
Chain run on the 600's I'm dealing with is similar but not exactly the same. Also I found out tonight the motor mounts I measured for are not exactly right. I also did hours and hours of searching for someone who already did the swap and documented it and have come up with nothing. The only way to know is to just do it like ultimate fighter said. Otherwise you're just pissing into the wind.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
I dont know how late I am to the party or if my opinion is worth a shit here but if it were me and I had a watercooled frame and was looking for an engine, I would be looking for a much newer watercooled engine rather than an oil cooled one. Otherwise I'd just get an oil cooled frame, sell the WC'd frame to recoup the cost of the OC frame and go from there.

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
It's better to use a water cooled frame because they are a lot stiffer due to changes in the castings used and the kind of tube used. Also, even though Suzuki switched to water cooling the cylinders weren't tipped forward yet like just about every newer watercooled engine so sticking a newer i4 in the frame would be more difficult then putting a oil boiler in there. A similar vintage engine like the older Kawi GPZ might not be too difficult of a swap but still probably more involved then a oil boiler.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts