Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I am a motherfucker
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2002 TL project is collecting dust with a set of brand new tires... my 2002 B12 is a couple of months away from needing new shoes... so I figure a wheel swap is in order...

B12 has a 5.5" rear, TL has a 6" rear. I believe the fronts are identical (rotors and all that, not so sure), but not sure on spacing for the rear... I'm sure it's been done before, but I'm search-retarded and couldn't find anything.

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
I know I've seen 6" rims in B12's but I don't know all the specifics.

Here's what I do know: The rims are the same style but not the same. The B12 front rim is a bit narrower through the hub which is why it uses the offset rotors. I think that the TL rear rim's overall width is wider than the B12. You may have to thin the cush drive and have chain alignment issues. You're going to have to perform a bearing swap at least for both rims.

Later, Doug

G

·
B12 uses 20mm axles while the tl uses 25mm so its bearing swaps at the least as stated above, the front rim on the B12 & TL are the same size but its the hubs that are different (thicker on the TL) you can get the rear TL rim in but you may need to mess with the spacing for the brake hanger or swap it, chain run will be tight to the tyre so some messing is needed there with sprocket carriers etc

hope it helps

·
I am a motherfucker
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
B12 uses 20mm axles while the tl uses 25mm so its bearing swaps at the least as stated above, the front rim on the B12 & TL are the same size but its the hubs that are different (thicker on the TL) you can get the rear TL rim in but you may need to mess with the spacing for the brake hanger or swap it, chain run will be tight to the tyre so some messing is needed there with sprocket carriers etc

hope it helps
Helps a lot, thank you. I was hoping it would be more straight forward.

·
I am a motherfucker
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why not take the tires off of the wheels and swap the tires?
5.5" rear vs 6" rear... I know a lot of guys run wider than recommended tires without issue, but I'm pretty sure the engineers put those limits on for a reason.

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
What's the tire size currently on the TL rear: a 180, 190, or 200?

Later, Doug

G

·

No good on a 5.5 rim, seen it done a few times & the tyre is pulled out of shape

i guess some bright sparks thought its only 10mm differrance but forgot a 60 profile on a 180 & a 60 profile on a 190 will be a different size , dont sound a lot but combined with that 10mm or so pulls the tyre out of shape

1 - 10 of 10 Posts