Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Macaque
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my 900rr build hit a financial dead end, I was looking for a new project. I found a 1996 Zx9r :kawasaki:

Here's are some pics from the day I picked it up:

A little treat came with the bike, full akra

Dirty dirty

·
Macaque
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The bike was stored outside and hadn't run in a while. Goal #1, get it running/idling

Once cleaned, the bike ran and idled. TIME FOR DISASSEMBLY!!!

·
Macaque
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The filth continued

I began de-greasing everything for paint. Only got the swinger and wheels done today...

·
Macaque
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tires on the wheels aren't in the best shape. They have at least 2 plugs each and the rear leaks, so I ordered some new rubber.

I know, not sportbike rubber, but sport touring. Z rated and at $165 shipped, I'm happy. Mr. UPS left them here this morning :)

·
I Like Kittens
659 Posts
Fook yes, another Kawi!

·
Macaque
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there a trick to removing a chain master link? I need to split the chain, (not break it, I am re-using it. It's dirty but newish) to clean the engine case.

It seems like grinding off the rivet heads and then pushing the master out should do it? right?

·
Macaque
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
flat head or a chain break tool would do fine ....sweet find akro pipe is a good thing..
Great! Thanks

Anyone have a preference for masters? Clip or rivet style?

·
jamal avatar #1
3,443 Posts
no clue what that full akra goes for on a zx9, but if you can get a decent dime for it, consider selling it. probably not enough to sell it tho, not the most popular bike.

good plans so far. those old 9s, and boilers are real definition fighters. old school.

·
Macaque
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no clue what that full akra goes for on a zx9, but if you can get a decent dime for it, consider selling it. probably not enough to sell it tho, not the most popular bike.

good plans so far. those old 9s, and boilers are real definition fighters. old school.
It's probably worth more than I paid for the bike, but I'm keeping it.

AND I WON'T BE CHOPPING IT! :D

·
Macaque
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Macaque
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No new pics BUT, paint is done on the frame, the swinger and the bottom of the forks.
I've drilled the triple for my risers and ground off the extra mounting tabs on there that I won't be using.
I don't feel great about drilling into cast aluminum, so I'm welding some extra ribs underneath to add stiffness.

...Still degreasing/cleaning the engine and wheels.

Next: Get the tires of the wheels, get the wheels painted, then new rubber mounted and get a rolling chassis going next week!

I also got the master link off, cleaned the chain with a shit ton of WD-40, then let it soak in oil for a few days, looks brand new!

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
nice. i just picked up a kawi zx11 for my next build.

·
breaking stuff since 1978
1,530 Posts
Sorry i missed this

Welcome, good to see another B on here, there are a few now im counting 5 bs in the last little while.

MUST Things to do on a zx9b

Do a compression test, they have a habit of blowing head gaskets. It can be hard to pick up on.

when its going give it a good trash and make sure it is not jumping out of gear, mainly 2nd but other gears as well. shift forks. It also helps to pull the shift mech, cover off and give every thing a clean and grease up.

did you get the ram tubes?? if not make sure you do the fuel bowl intake pressure mod or it wont rev past 9000rpm.

that shock is not factory by the way. the spring should be yellow. post a pick and i will tell you if a factory shock or of another bike.

Factory settings on the carbs is 1 1/4--1 1/2 turns on the pilot. but with the aka and a filter it will be more. some guys go as high as 3 with a pipe, 4deg, and K&N

also the clutch shafts wear. pull the slave and pull the shaft out and check for wear. not to much of a issue till it leaks, but if you have a oil leak in the output shaft area check this 1st!

good luck if you need any help ask away.

·
Macaque
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FTW right there.

Thank you for the input.

I'll do a comp test when the engine is back in the frame. I'd be steamed if the tranny has issues, but that'll be a bridge to cross if/when I get there.

I'm free this weekend so I'll do some cereal work and post pics of the shock.

Speaking of jetting, the bike has a k&n, and the full akra, the mains are stock at 195. I'm planning on riding it first obviously to see if its oober lean, but will likely need to either get bigger mains or just go for a stage 1 kit. Are zx9s sensitive to piping/air changes?

1 - 20 of 188 Posts