Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 419 Posts

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... ok, so maybe it's not that bad, but it's not exactly a fighter either. But guess what? Here comes a thread anyway....you can't stop me! :D

So, I went shopping for an XR650L. Turns out, they're pricey in my area and my butt is much more comfy on the wide seat of the KLR...oh, and it was cheap!

So I picked up a 2003 KLR 650.

CL ad pic. Check out that trunk! Who could turn that down?!

De-trunked and skully'd up.

Ok, so I actually dumped the bike doing doughnuts in the hayfield( the tires are abysmal ) and busted the trunk :oops: I was glad to see it die a painful death.

Alright. So, I originally planned for a fork swap/ brake upgrade for the whole bike, but it's not needed. And no, it's not getting sumo'd. The rear brake is great, but front is not. The front suspension is actually pretty darn nice, but the rear shock is meh.

To do list:

- 'Fighter the front brake
- 'Fighter the rear shock
- Restore the plastics ( buy new?...pfft...that's no fun)
- Knobbies
- Kill the vac petcock ( srsly, why?)
- Racks
- Fix junk that the PO's neglected
- Crash bars ( homemade)
- More power? ( No Mike, no turbo :nuts:)
Most importantly
- Wear out lots of tires :letsride:

Yo, Robbo! :kawasaki: :fish4rep:

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
Re: If John Deere built a motorcycle...

I almost bought one last weekend at Mid-Ohio. Talked myself out of it because I have the Duke and I'm trying to save for a house.

When I was down south last week I couldn't believe how great the views were even when I wasn't in the mountains. I think I need to find a place down there.

·
V four honda whore
12,487 Posts

paint it john deere green then

Reactions: oldrider

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

That fits u much better!

Too bad it's not a Honda

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
It really does fit. You know, what you said when you were here really stuck in my head.

The XR has so much more torque down low. It was hard not to hold out for one. The KLR ergos fit me better, though.

Fork service scheduled for this evening. $15 for a quart of 10w? Geez...

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts

In before the farkle....

:D

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

The little sink killed me!! 😂

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk
It's even got the kitchen sink! :D

Robbo, will have at it when i get in tomorrow.

Round 1 of de-po'ing. Cost: $100 because my buddy hooks me up. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Ok, so I actually dumped the bike doing doughnuts in the hayfield( the tires are abysmal ) and busted the trunk :oops:

Remember that part? Turns out, KLR's are particularly unfond ( is that a word? ) of being dropped on their left side (where the rad is). Who knew? It's easy to pinch the fan surround in to the blade. Resulting in this:

The fan motor keeps trucking along while the blade is pinched and will melt the hub.

A new fan runs about $75. I found out that some Ninja fans should work,too. But I turned this up for free. :thumbsup:

A certain alarmist on this forum mentioned concern that my set screw would cause vibrations. Some people....

Oh, someone put these pegs on. They sit a little lower than stock and your feet don't slip off like the slippery stock ones will allow.

I don't understand why this primary sprocket cover is vented (and plastic), so I wanna close it up. Anyone think of a reason why it should be left open?

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

PO's do weird things.

Someone drilled the door to the air filter box. I'm sure they figured it was worth a BUNCH of hp!

Probably weren't too smart to drill those holes on the side of the airbox that shares real estate under the same side cover as the muffler. :oops:

So I patched those holes up. If you think about it, it's basically like I invented a cold-air kit. I think the camera did something weird in this pic. It looks like plain ol' duct tape, but I swear that's actually carbon fiber. :truestory:

Apparently mice must think neglected air filters taste like cheese.

So to prevent any further gnawing I installed a watermelon flavored one. :)

Drained the mud outta the forks.

I couldn't seem to find where my schrader valve screwdriver tool thingy walked off to so I could drain the forks, but this worked ok. A lot of my tools seem to be in hiding these days...

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts

I don't understand why this primary sprocket cover is vented (and plastic), so I wanna close it up. Anyone think of a reason why it should be left open?

Weight savings, breh.

1 - 20 of 419 Posts