Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at a friend-of-a-friends bike this weekend, an 89 FZR600. He had just had a slightly unfortunate incident involving a curve and a gaurdrail. The guy was ok, but the bike was pretty junked.

They had it stripped down and my friend was asking me about a "goo" on the front discs. I took a look, and it was blatantly obvious his fork seals were shot (cracked dust gaurds and oil/gunk all up the forks), and there was also NO brake fluid visible in his front resivour window! My friend said the guy was commenting about having weak front brakes... I wonder why! hardly and brake fluid, and discs covered in fork oil! I wonder if thats why he couldnt slow down going into that curve...

Anybody with old bikes, do your maintenance. This guy was lucky he cleared the gaurdrail and didn't crunch into it like his bike.

On another note I rode a friends YZF600R, fun bike, though he needs to stiffen up the rear suspension a bit.

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
Wow....he's lucky he wasn't seriously hurt because of mechanical failure. On another note, I pulled a complete "newb rider" the other day....took my back out for it's first test run.....forgot to completely tighten my front caliper bolts. Everytime I hit the bracks I heard a clunking noise.....I had a "I'm retarded :wtf: moment."

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
trav72 said:
Wow....he's lucky he wasn't seriously hurt because of mechanical failure. On another note, I pulled a complete "newb rider" the other day....took my back out for it's first test run.....forgot to completely tighten my front caliper bolts. Everytime I hit the bracks I heard a clunking noise.....I had a "I'm retarded :wtf: moment."

Doing all the work myself i check and recheck bolts daily !!

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
I really thought I had checked those bolts. Oh well, lesson learned...If I'm not sure I'll check anyway from this point forward. You Can never be to careful.

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to put on my rear brakes one time on my 2fiddy and the pedal went straight "to the floor" One of the caliper mounting bolts had rattled out and it had pivoted out on the other one. I hadnt even done any maintenance on the rear brakes at that point! A zip-tie later I was on my way home - very carefull to use only the front brake.

I always carry zipties with me :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts