Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I found one of my fork tubes bent when changing my fork oil and seals the other night. I'm looking for suggestions as to what I should do. Is there a front end I could upgrade to by using? What kind of forks would you guys reccomend? I've got a cbr600 smokin joe's edition which im streetfightering.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
it's possible to straighten fork legs with a press and some v-blocks. as long as the tube isn't dented or kinked, they're usually fine.

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
You can straighten legs, general rule is 10 degrees out is fixable. That said, it is no longer allowed in Canada, any shop caught doing so can have their license revoked. Think about it...bend metal one way, then bend it back, you are severely weakening the strength of the metal. Like said, it can be done, and has been done for a long time, but personally, I wouldn't do it.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,697 Posts
upgrade to somthing with USD forks. 929, 954, 1000rr, 05+ 600rr.

·
Bush pilot
591 Posts
I've done it in a press about 4 times now without any trouble at all, it's usually ok. But I can't tell you to do the same. Let your concience / wallet do the talking. It's not that important, shit, it just holds the front wheel on the bike......I suppose you could say that there's another one to do backup if the weak one craps out. I had an 8" over springer collaps on a Norton chopper a couple years ago with my old lady on the back. Luckily we were only goin about 50 mph.............FUN STUFF.

.....G.....:eek: :vshock: :stars:

:cfcartman:

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Because I'm curious how it will turn out... I'm gonna do my best to straighten it. If everything turns out ok, and if I can find a replacement, I'll save these as a back up. I'd like to look into puting something else on the bike. What makes USD forks an upgrade? How are they different internally?

·
Bush pilot
591 Posts
Russian019 said:
Because I'm curious how it will turn out... I'm gonna do my best to straighten it. If everything turns out ok, and if I can find a replacement, I'll save these as a back up. I'd like to look into puting something else on the bike. What makes USD forks an upgrade? How are they different internally?

The arguement went on for years in motocross circles, the Suzuki RM's returned to "right side up" forks with excellent results from 1996 - 1998, KTM also ran them until 1999. Both companies admitted that the change to upside down forks was not done for improved performance, but rather consumer demand, and their tests the following year showed a marked decrease in performance.
For sportbikes the improvement comes mostly in the form of rigidity and stability. For most of us who will admit it (very few), the switch offers little more than a "higher tech" or "more modern" look with more adjustability and modern cartridge style internals (that only 15% of owners know how to properly set up). Blindfolded most of us wouldn't notice the difference, but rest assured your wallet will.
In closing, If I could afford USD's I'd have-em too and I intend too some day instal them just so people will stop saying how "cool" it would be if my bike had them...........Fuckin' peer pressure.....

.....G.....
:cfrocks:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,697 Posts
:cfrocks: GREAT POST HAHA.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.