Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys been here awhile reading. Greetings from Croatia.Currently i am building a CBR900 bobbed fighter, beginner style.

Will upload pics soon, bike 75% over.

Anyway...

The powder coat i have on my yokes,chasis and so on damages really easily !

Check out the vid i uploaded

Don't know how is the lamp treated but its surface is rough like 120 grit and only minor damage when hitting it hard multiple times while my yokes peel off to easily.

Is this normal ?

Anyway i want my next bike to be treated like this lamp, wtf is that anway

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,052 Posts
If your headlight bucket is steel and the triples are aluminum, then the wash used for pretreatment could be your culprit. Some places use a phosphate rinse to clean parts prior to coating, and it acts negatively for bonding PC to aluminum. I've seen several examples that look just like your situation that were from this.

·
Kilted Rider
486 Posts
of course when you whack it with the fucking hammer and screwdriver it comes off...

but yeah, it doesnt seem that the PC on the clamps adhered properly

Reactions: CK 187

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If your headlight bucket is steel and the triples are aluminum, then the wash used for pretreatment could be your culprit. Some places use a phosphate rinse to clean parts prior to coating, and it acts negatively for bonding PC to aluminum. I've seen several examples that look just like your situation that were from this.

Yea the headlight bucket is steel but anyway the treat is awesome, i want THAT on my bike, what is that anyway :confused:

And i am changing the powder coater for sure, too bad i realized just now when bike almost over :oops:

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
of course when you whack it with the fucking hammer and screwdriver it comes off...

but yeah, it doesnt seem that the PC on the clamps adhered properly

I didnt whack it with a hammer, only lightly with a screwdriver using only hand. That is why I am concerned, imagine what will happen when the sh*t on the road starts hitting the frame :bawling:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,557 Posts
im with shift....im not sure your trips were PC'd and if so, they did a shite job. possibly didnt bake it up proper???

i was going to guess the headlight had some truck bedliner sprayed on it.

·
Administrator
50,493 Posts
That is a fuckin shame mate .You gotta go back and bitch them out to put it rite ...:shocker:

Oops I think that was the way it was when you purchased the bike?Guess bitchin aint gonna help there ...Im with the general consenus here ,bed liner paint finish or rattle can of crinkle finish Hammerite paint on the headlamp shell.

·
BLACK BELT
6,952 Posts
To me, it looks like black textured powder coat on the headlight.

I have a (lightly) textured black powdercoat on some S2000 wheels, and I've seen a heavier texture that looks just like that headlight.

Black textured powder coat should be harder than bed liner or other types of paint.

I'm pretty sure if you hit my wheels with a screwdriver, it would scratch the powder. I don't think it would come off as easily as on your triple, though. That powder coat looks very thin.

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im gonna change the powder coater for sure.

This bike was only modded for test. Next one I am gonna make its gonna be much better

·
22 Posts
sandblast the bike and then coat it whitin 10hours..when it takes longer you have to treat everything with acid before you coat it..then the shit will stay on forever...

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,052 Posts
To me, it looks like black textured powder coat on the headlight.

I have a (lightly) textured black powdercoat on some S2000 wheels, and I've seen a heavier texture that looks just like that headlight.

Black textured powder coat should be harder than bed liner or other types of paint.

I'm pretty sure if you hit my wheels with a screwdriver, it would scratch the powder. I don't think it would come off as easily as on your triple, though. That powder coat looks very thin.
I'm with Smoke. We have some texture black that we use on some military applications that is about as coarse as 60 grit sandpaper as hard as a diamond.

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm with Smoke. We have some texture black that we use on some military applications that is about as coarse as 60 grit sandpaper as hard as a diamond.
yes, as for the lamp paint i found out what it is, they call it bumper paint or something and it goes on bare sanded metal and holds like crazy.

Anyway, my stuff before powder coating wasn't treeated with acid or anything. just sanded and coated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts