Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
This is my first fighter project but I've been a long time lurker admiring all of the builds on here.

I bought this bike yesterday in the hopes of making it cool.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1468865811.791506.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1468865835.410571.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1468865851.446867.jpg

Came with a couple buckets of parts, a donor bike/engine (katana), two more motors and two rusty/dented tanks.

It's a 92 model and current plans are...actually nothing is set in stone yet. So I'll keep updating as it progresses. I'll be working on teardown and inventory in the next few weeks and have a better idea of where this stands afterwards.

Balls

Registered
Subbed.. got a 91 that I'm trying to fighter but due to work I have nearly no free time.. won't stop me trying though 馃槈

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

Registered
These and the bigger version are pretty much the only gsxr's i like, mostly the frame and tank on them. Subbed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it's not the end of the world but I was able to get the vin decoded on the katana donor and it's a 600. Crap. I guess I assumed that the "straight swap" that the seller mentioned referred to putting the same size motor into the bike.

So, if the other two engines aren't usable, do I source another 750, try to run this 600 (assuming it can be fixed) or try to swap in a completely different motor?

Registered
1100. Nuff said

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay then. I'll figure out what is wrong with the 750s first.
However, instead of tearing into the motors, I tore into the bike to clean it up. Got most of the rear end cleaned up but couldn't get two bolts out. One was the left rear set bolt and it just rounded off so it and the other bolt are bathing in some pb blaster. I'll get pics of the whole thing once the entire bike is clean of unwanted distractions. I have work early tomorrow or I would be working on it still.

Attachments

CAPTAIN AWESOME庐
So it's not the end of the world but I was able to get the vin decoded on the katana donor and it's a 600. Crap. I guess I assumed that the "straight swap" that the seller mentioned referred to putting the same size motor into the bike.

So, if the other two engines aren't usable, do I source another 750, try to run this 600 (assuming it can be fixed) or try to swap in a completely different motor?
1100. Nuff said

1200 Bandit. Probably easier and cheaper to source

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still no photos.
In one of those "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" situations.
None of those motors are 750s. I assumed too much on this purchase and he gave me three 600 motors. But I'm fine with getting a replacement motor and swapping in something different. Last night, while trying to disassemble it, I was getting more pissed at the bike than I thought I would. Ruined one screw extractor but managed to get the screw removed and I managed to find 5/6 of the engine "cradle" bolts and tried to reinstall it since it came detached. That pos does not want to go on. Frame looks like it's in good shape with no obvious damage but it appears twisted enough that the piece does not want to go on.
For the people that own one of these, does it usually go on very easily or does it take a little force? The holes don't want to line up.

I'll try to get a pic in a little bit
Thanks

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bike as it sits now.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1469112363.001620.jpg
right side frame piece ImageUploadedByMO Free1469112398.968147.jpg
Bottom frame holes
ImageUploadedByMO Free1469112460.098676.jpg
Left side frame holes
ImageUploadedByMO Free1469112484.873445.jpg

All three bolts that I was able to install are just placed in the holes without nuts at the moment. I didn't want to tighten them up until all were in but the rest don't want to go. I'll try some more tonight.

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is just a speed bump and shouldn't stop my build completely. Found possible reasons why the frame won't go together correctly. Found this
ImageUploadedByMO Free1469315987.339098.jpg
and this
ImageUploadedByMO Free1469316016.640988.jpg
The first one was on the left side one the down tube coming from the head tube and the second one is only about a 6 inches above where the frame is supposed to attach. So whatever tweaked this frame cracked it up top. I may have found another 750 frame or an 1100 frame and can't decide. The 750 has the removable upper shock mount which seems ideally suited to swing arm swaps or at least multiple swaps depending upon when I find the right one. I like the idea of a slim swing arm so that the wheel is more visible and I may just stick with the stocker. A newer GSXR swing arm wouldn't be a bad choice either and I may have a line on one with shock and linkage attached. Anyways, the 1100 frame I found also has the removable subframe and mounts though so I guess it's a toss up. I'll let you know how it goes.

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a mig but no spool gun and I have a tig but I suck at aluminum. But like you said, I can't make sure it's straight. I think that a "new" 750 frame is in order. For now, I'll be using it to do some mockups. Pics tonight.

Is my bike ok?
You don't need a spool gun to weld aluminum with a MIG. You may pick up trace amounts of "other" filter wire material that has been through your welding hose in the past, and those will most likely cause little rust tits in your weld bead. Whether that's acceptable in your situation will be up your judgement.

Spool guns are simply a way to keep your wire clean. Come to think of it, a second hose would likely cost less ( and would definitely be easier to use!) than a spool gun.

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Huh I always thought the spool gun was specifically for aluminum and so it was required. So can I just use the same argon bottle or does it need to be a mix? I've got some more reading to do. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts