Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
BoObieS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured since this is my first streetfighter build... it isn't a proved fighter yet. I followed directions and posted up in the noob section... cliff notes from that post:

My name is Travis, from Chesapeake VA... and I like to build shit. This project isn't going to really take off till I finish up my CB750 frankenbike. But I thought I would go ahead and start a thread, ask some questions and put down some of my ideas for the build in writing.

I came across a guy selling off a "project" on CL. I was really interested in the USD forks for my cafe so I told the guy I would come by and "take a look"... well, a 97 bandit 1200 followed me home. Needless to say my wife was thrilled... another project.

There are CF decals on the airbox and a CF keychain. I searched through 6 pages of bandit builds and didnt see it (so let me know if you recognize it). On a positive note, in all that searching, I have learned a ton on here in the last 2 days of reading! There are a bunch of great bandits on here and I want to incorporate things from all of those bikes...

So onto the gameplan. I snatched the USD forks off and put them on my 78 cb750. It came with the stock forks which I put back on, but its missing all of the front brake parts.

-Stock forks with gaiters
-Tracker style handlebars
-It came with a Kerker K45 which I will modify
-Cafe style seat, I want to keep the seat relatively short.
-Holeshot stage 2 kit (i like pods, but how well do they work on these motors?)
-Im torn on headlight, I'm thinking dominator and bikini fairing. I have a honda grom headlight it came with.

Stock parts I need to find:
-calipers
-front wheel
-rotors
-speed sensor
-master cylinder
-some gauges

Sorry for the essay... Like I said, I figured it would be good to get all my ideas down. I'm pretty stoked on building this thing and I have a ton of ideas in my head. Any lessons learned, feedback, advice or just random razzing is appreciated. Attached are pics from the CL ad and a few of my CB.

Attachments

Reactions: ants

·
Registered
956 Posts
the USDs really suit the bandit ;) even though your CB probably means more to you so thats fair play

bandits are bulletproof, easy to work on and theres always someone who has done something similar so can help out :)

oh yeah welcome to CF too! iv got a 99 bandit 1200 as my daily atm and love it!

·
BoObieS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback! It seems like these bikes have a bit of a cult following. I have owned hondas and yamahas so this is uncharted territory for me. I love the looks of a well done fighter and this is going to be my commuter bike to work (5 miles each way).

The USD's compliment the 2010 gsxr swingarm on the CB really well... but I agree they look good on the bandit. I really like the looks of Lurch's bandit (see pic below) with the gaiters (I guess I can't shake the cafe look).

Some of the things that worry me about it. 1, The wiring is a bit of a rats nest. I found a wiring diagram, but I can't read the colors, so I am still on the hunt for a better quality wiring diagram. 2, tuning pods with these carbs. I have found some threads where guys said they have had some good luck.

I was digging through my parts bins... I have one of those all in one gauges I think I will use on this bike as opposed to the CB. But I will need to figure out that wiring. Also, I am going to mess with the grom headlight in a few and try to come up with a mount and fairing for it.

Attachments

·
BoObieS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So like I said, after swapping the USDs onto the CB750... some of the parts for the CB wouldn't work anymore. Clip ons, head light brackets, speedo. So I managed to re purpose a few parts. I took the headlight brackets and drilled them out so the Honda grom headlight would fit. I also swapped the out the H7 bulb in the headlight for an H4. I got the stock forks back on and stuck a VFR wheel I dug up on it. I bought one of those cheap amazon all in one gauges, which in hindsight would work better with this bike than the CB. I made up a quick bracket for that. I got the stock risers bolted back up. Anyone know where I can find some stock rubber handlebar cones? It was shit weather out so I didnt get any pics. But I do have one of the headlight I'm using...

Attachments

·
BoObieS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Snapped a few pics this morning...

Headlight mounted, I feel like it looks way out there. Hopefully it will look better with the gauge mounted and a small bikini fairing.

Clear clutch cover

Rearsets, I need to modify for the master cylinder or get a proper master

Tail section, I am going to cut all this off and start over, clean up the cut/weld job.

Some of the wiring I need to figure out what connects to what!

PO used "carbon fiber" tape on everything. Pulling all that off and repainting.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Dude, love the headlight choice... Needs to be about 4" closer to the forks :) but I still like it...

·
BoObieS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, the more I was looking at it, the more I didnt like how far out its mounted. I need to shorten the brackets, make a mount for the new gauge and add a fairing.

The benefit of having 2 bikes is I can work on one while I'm waiting for parts to arrive for the other!

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Top 2 pics are in my old garage lol. Crystal_skull's old bike. U got a bangin deal on that thing. He paid more for the headlight and clear clutch cover than u did on the whole bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
BoObieS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Top 2 pics are in my old garage lol. Crystal_skull's old bike. U got a bangin deal on that thing. He paid more for the headlight and clear clutch cover than u did on the whole bike.

Nice, someone who knows something about the bike! Man, I was lying in bed sick as hell and saw the thing on CL... a couple hours later it was at my house. It was a deal I couldnt pass up... at least that's what I told the Mrs.

I'm stoked on the thing, it is the polar opposite of my CB and it has a great start.

·
BoObieS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HA! The bandit makes a cameo in the first post in your "Fart Muffin" thread!

Sooo... who did I buy it from? Who has the killer beard? And if you guys come across any bandit parts (mostly the stock brakes) let me know and I'll take them off your hands.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I must admit the clear clutch cover is sick as fuk. I have always loved those on the gsxr1100/B1200

I just cant see spending $300 + on a set of window covers when I can buy more go fast or suspension parts.

+1 on the b12's being nearly indestructible, you have to really try to break em or have to buy one that's been really raped already.

I like how mechanical the old oillers sound at idle.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
HA! The bandit makes a cameo in the first post in your "Fart Muffin" thread!

Sooo... who did I buy it from? Who has the killer beard? And if you guys come across any bandit parts (mostly the stock brakes) let me know and I'll take them off your hands.

Lol that's crystal skull. I was the guy moving all the shit

·
BoObieS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It went to a good home, I have been obsessing over it since I brought it home a week ago. I find myself standing back and staring at the bikes trying to figure out how I want the final product to look. Usually beer in hand.

·
I shit awesomeness
16,625 Posts
That's how it normally goes. Luckily for me I have an exact replica of my bike sitting in front of my desk at work and I find myself looking up at it over and over trying to imagine it with all the parts I got coming in and if there's anything else I still want to do or forgetting to do. Only downside, no beer in hand while at the office :doh:

·
BoObieS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welp, I think I tracked down the brake parts I need from a fellow CF member! :rock: I also ordered a seat and came up with a color scheme for the bike. Looks like I might get rolling on this thing sooner than I thought.

·
BoObieS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A big thanks to tsukuyomi79 for hooking me up with a front wheel for this thing! :thumbsup:

·
BoObieS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All the missing brake parts are on the way along with new all balls bearings, fuel petcock and seat.

A 67 degree day in january inspired me to go ahead and order some shit to get this thing going! Im steadily collecting up parts and getting ready to thrash on this thing here soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts