Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
UnicycleMode
7,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I've gotten zero info from google, talking to turbo Bandit owners, and I can't just call up the company I bought the kit from (I don't speak the language) I am at a loss for where in the hell everyone is running the oil drain line from the turbo to the sump.

Are you guys using a hard line to the oil pickup itself? Just a fitting somewhere on the oil pan? I'm at a loss having never built a turbo bike before and worse yet having bought a pre-fab kit, so I can't adjust much of this without throwing the rest way off.

Help. It's all that is left to do before I can fire this bike up! Best info possible would be a simple picture or two of the sump and fitting location. Even better would be if someone can explain to me if there is, or isn't a line run to the oil pickup through the fitting on the sump on most of the bikes I have seen with a line disappearing under the front of the engine??

Should I just swap to a 1100 sump? If so how to defeat the low oil light that I keep reading about happening after said swap?

:doh:

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
most bikes just use a fitting on the pan anywhere above the oil line.

·
UnicycleMode
7,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uh... yeah... that doesn't help solve WHERE to tap the oil pan and where the oil level is at to begin with. The bike upright not running you can see oil in the sight glass on the clutch side. When running the oil level drops, but to where? Can I run the bloody line back to the pan through a banjo fitting? Should it be a strait one??

I need specific answers here.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
you want it above the static oil line. sense your using a scavenge pump anyway I would just stick it at the highest point on the pan that you can. I have seen lots of guys use a 90 degree AN fitting at the pan so it shouldn't matter. unsure about using a banjo though. never seen that before.

·
UnicycleMode
7,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No scavenge pump. That's the whole problem is the oil boiler would kill one pretty quick, not to mention other issues Motohorho brought up about using one. I'm at a loss here. Nobody can just answer the question so I'm about to put the cover back over it and do other things until I either burn out on this and sell it off like I do most things that end up at this point, or I finish it when I finally get someone knowledgeable on the subject to answer the question I've been asking for over a month now.

·
UnicycleMode
7,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fuck it, going this route since I finally found a pic of what I've been thinking is the solution all along.

·
UnicycleMode
7,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Checked the B12, still no way to go about it without the line being long as hell. I really wish someone who knew what they were talking about would answer this question. Of all the turbo Bandits out there nobody seems to say if they used the 1100 sump, or if they tapped the B12 sump...

Bueller.................. Bueller....................

·
UnicycleMode
7,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Problem with the translation thing is that English to Finnish comes out like it went through a blender and then an industrial press, and then through a paper shredder, and then the remains burned to an ashy crisp. And I'm unsure they deal with Bandits as much as they do GSXR1100's, and that is what the example pics on the CD were showing, was a 1100 sump, nothing to do with a Bandit on the whole disk.

·
UnicycleMode
7,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats the exact issue I've been running into, not one pic of the mysterious pump everyone says they convert over, and a leading authority in turbocharging these engines made mention they will kill an oil scavenge pump pretty fast due to heat, and also said that there is no need for a scavenge pump, but never made any indication of how the hell this even works. I'm at a loss here. About to just give up and put the cover over it until something is figured out.

·
Basement Fighterer
420 Posts
I've seen a few on youtube that go to a remote sump with a scavenge pump. That doesn't help you though does it?

EDIT: I read Moto's post a little closer. I don't think he's saying not to use a scavenge pump, he's just saying to make sure whatever you get works with whatever oil temps it will see because he has had some fail.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
So I did a bunch of searching and reading threw dif bandit turbo builds from other sites and just about every one I found they all just used a scavenge pump and pumped back to the oil pan either via a fitting into the pan or back into the oil fill hole.

·
UnicycleMode
7,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quoted from the Bandit thread just for the sake of having a reference on hand for turbo oil drain location for a turbocharged Bandit 1200 engine with stock sump. rep this guy if you happen to visit the thread and see his post! The picture was worth everything in this situation. ;)

Hi there.Been reading this for a while.Awesome project.Guy on the bandit forum fitted a proboost kit to his bandit.Here is a pic of what he did for his oil return.Hope this helps.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j43/Suitzait/Mp kuvat/Bandit 1216cc turbo projekti/IMG_1334.jpg
Good luck with getting the final details sorted.

It appears the stock pump creates a slight scavenge effect on the turbo drain (and on the 1100 from what I was seeing) getting rid of the need for an expensive and often times more complicated scavenge pump setup. I now understand why ProBoost and Motohorho were telling me there isn't a need for a pump externally. I get it now, just without an example it wasn't too easy to understand it all as it is specific to the particular application of a Suzuki air/oil engine. This whole blow through boosted Bandit thing is still a rather new concept to me. Had the draw through guys around me all my life.

·
UnicycleMode
7,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess I really should have PM'd you, but don't really want to bother you with all the help I've gotten already. Thank you though, I'm back on track with the build. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts