Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well. I havent touched a bike in quite a while unfortunately working tons, and now winters hit and its bitterly fucking cold in the mitten. Whilst trying to figure out a heating situation for the garage, Ive decided to start this thread now to keep track of the ever growing hole in my wallet due to insomnia and ebay motors.

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1576714#post1576714
Discussion thread here.

Frame is a bandit 400 frame thats in desperate need of a paintjob...dont have a picture of it at present and its cold. previous owner spraybombed without masking

The powerplant k1-k3 gsxr 600 motor pretty sure its an 03.

Front end will be from a tl1000s with a tlr top triple. TLS brakes. Cool little preload adjuster thingys from ebay made by asian children (for some reason ive always wanted these...). Awesome clip ons from DTOX
thanks bud

GSR headlight...to be decided....may sell it.

I lost the other pair of the signals...-_-...may have to buy more lol

Here are some superbars I got....Gonna chop em in half soon when i find my pipe cutter

Here are the wheels...of which my rotors dont match...fack. And they will need a definite change in color.

Rear wheel...never had a 180 rear tire before :D

Currently waiting for some time to go try to remove my bearing race on the gsxr steering stem via welding...

Cost:
Titled Frame - 200
Gsxr 600 Engine - 300
TLS Forks and lower triple - 150
TlS Brakes - 48
TLR top triple - 8
Preload Adjusters - 8
Front Axle TLS - 7
Wheels - 200
180 tire without a pincture - Free thanks mista m and kind stranger.

Rear end...220mm between the frame

Anyone got ideas for a swinger? debating a k6-k7 swinger.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Medis formerly a bandit 400 build

Today starts off in the basement hanging out with my helper

So out to the garage...lets take a look around first

heres my transplant engine...

This is engine bay that is to be violated by insertion of foreign objects
Paint wise i dont know what the previous owner was thinking...

the gifted non punctured tire rep to mista m

Anways on to dw.
First things first i found my good tube cutter so my superbike bars went from these....

to being promply cut in half.

Next on the agenda....the old stubborn ass steering bearing seat/race
After much swearing, 2 cheap ass diamond dremel wheels, butchering of a race...eventually just used a thick ass grinding disc on my hf grinder and about 3 beers i has success!

then ya slip the bars into the clip ons...

Also added my bar ends

and the completed front forks, wheel is lurking in the garage somewhere

Here is where I am stalled for the day...Dont have a big enough socket. and adjustables dont fit in between the risers lol
Fack.

Bought this a while ago to go with the new swinger.

Also the spending continues...this came today

The work that needs to be done here....
my bandit has 220 mm between both sides of the frame
this swinger is 227mm before the collars. Lots of meat to take off but.. the pivot axle diameter is an issue.
06-07 gsxr 600/750 pivot bolt is 23mm
bandit 400 is 20mm

Im going to need a machinist soon for a 20mm id x 23 mm od x 220mm long sleeve
dont know how much thatll cost but i bet i wont be pleased

but if you are in the trade feel free to shoot me a pm with a price quote out of the blue...

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Chrismas was meh, but i did get myself some presents.

Oh and merry christmas and shit.

welllactually i already had the r6 seat...but yeah

But the problem is the r6 seat makes this duc seat have kind of a butthole

and here is the little damage on it in which made me able to buy this thing in the first place

And I can start planning my subframe and mounts...or buy an 848 subframe...idk yet.

OH BIGGEST NEWS

Im buying a gas fed mig tomorrow! no more flux core! im excited havent had welds i didnt have to clean since welding school

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Front end fitted and boy do i like that tail on there...

the bearing race up top wouldnt come out easily...nor did the new one go in easily

fortunately like most of lifes problems it can be solved with a hammer

CFs very own Mista M comin out to give me a hand

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

FUCK JUST spent 30 minutes on an update post and tried to go advanced....lost it all.

Tank came in..

with dents and a dumb ass vinyl logo of...idunno their riding group or something?

some pounding with a ball peen and some elbow grease later...
EFI tanks have this lovely pump mount hole that allows great access to work the inside for dents.
"
These bearings wont come out... gotta get a puller still

Neat little handlebar mirror holders...too bad theyre a diff blue anodizing than my fork cap adjusters....and machined terribly.

Some other parts came in

and I dont know if you guys realize this but Gixxer1100 is a packaging genius

Headlight choices...

just for shits and giggles

So about the swingarm...heres where i stand.

Measured instead of relied on research and found my axle is 20mm and my id of my stock spacers is 22mm instead of 23mm. This is listed wrong on gsxr.com so heres some correct axle info for a 06-07 gsxr 600-750 swingarm.

so gotta get those spacers or tophats made still...need the bearing puller to take out the middle spacer and cut it down then knock bearings in and cut. gonna need to replace em too.
1mm thick...annoying...

and heres the comp i had to up/down/side-grade and slightly fighter to fix
my old powersupply fried my mobo so both had to be replaced...had a sweet dual vid card motherboard but down to a single now.

Old vs new cpu cooler lol

also put in a 1tb hdd.
traced a mysterious whirring to my video card fan going out...said fuck...nother 70 bucks to spend for something half decent. But with the cf mentality i took apart an old one with a similar sized fan and drilled new mount holes nad out it on the vid cards heatsink. had to cut down screws and retap them...via force...

dying fan

had to swap connectors too

and there we have a newly silent pretty badass 8 core system.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Well i havent posted in this for over a month. I suck

Bearings still stuck, gonna try harder tomorrow most of my garage/tools are moved over now

not much has been done to the bike but money keeps disapearing and boxes keep showing up for this and the cage project

What yall think of this tail and exhaust combo?

The butthole of the r6 seat problem...its a problem. but it looks so good from every other angle

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

So relaxwarrior came to hang out and have a few brews and kick the shit, and i drooled over his triple tree setup for a while, and welded up some stuff for his katana
cool to meet another person from the cf crew

i got around to mocking some stuff up on my bike as well... gonna do a custom trellis bracket to attach the fz6 light to the triple tree instead of using fork clamps. Oh and i stole the fender from my (other) bandit 400 build.

Seat in the pic is from an r6, gonna create a custom seat from scratch. Searching for good cheap keyword cheap, and did i mention cheap seat foam, so if any of you know a source...

I think im going to chop off the subframe and make it modular so i want to switch tails with just a few bolts.
and I think my dream of a custom swingarm is coming into fruition...getting ready to chop apart a vintage ass frame for some of that oem steel :D

no more pivot bolt issues to worry about, and finally get some sexy sexy billet. mmmmm billet....

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

So that mock ups seat lines suck, heres a redo.

Without zee light

and with...

That subframe definitely will have to move up the frame like an inch and be adjustable. time to buy some Heim joints i guess

yay more spending.

and the way this light looks with the tank and tail. god i love it.

Also debating on chopping up the zx undertail exhaust or creating a muffler from scratch...

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

alright so this came

So this subframe had to go. chop chop

I really love how these frames look stock and it took a bit of will to just start attacking it with a grinder.

no turnin back now...

So this is the triangle i intend to build to mimic a stock ducati setup.

and get rid of the former center rail and scrap ends.

And thats how we leave it for the day.

They are Pretty close to symetrical.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

So starting off with the cross bar, I chopped up a vintage gt250 frame for the metal lol

Forgot to take pics of doing the lower one being made and welded into place.
and zee top

my Welding isnt its best on this project, All the cross bars there make it incredibly hard to actually see what you're welding....Plus im going kinda easy on the gas to conserve so im at about 10-15cfm so its lookin pretty dirty and i dont intend to clean it all til its all done

Oh and the shock fits...like just barely. I have to put it in from the right to get it into the top mount lol

SO YAY ONTO MAKING SUBFRAME MOUNT TABS

Wow this sucks. I hate filing things...-_-

Lets just use zipties.

So angle choices...

A

B

Whatcha think?

Heres some preemptively excited bodywork mockups

So for the subframe mounts I want to use 1/8 plate and box it in similar to ducati stock style here

Should be plenty strong right? 2up is definitely happening

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Just cause I want to show off and im always down for welding tips and input...

on Relaxwarriors bike

anyways my summary for the beginning part of my day today...Holy crap do i need a Drill Press

Excuse the Lapse of progress in pictures I was pretty into it today.

As to sideshow bobs reccomendation I gave it a few more degrees and I think it looks awesome

during a break i found a rabbits nest and a bunch of these little guys! picture shy.

Now its back to rounding out more subframe tabs...

Although I am starting to get pretty good at this...

finished drilling lower mounts

more missing progress pictures cause in da zone.

mockups

So all in all pretty glad I got most of the subframe done. not sure the zx6r muffler is gonna work out...I feel like Im gonna have to build my own muffler...

Next comes:
Tank bracket
and the actual engine swap.
Maybe the custom swinger will come first idk yet.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

just small stuff today i think, i could use a little break between this and stuff around the house.

Here are my super precise uniformly rounded off subframe tabs...not...
Also welded a piece of flat bar accross the top for a tank mount platform and to box in the top subframe mounts.

And i cleaned off the leftofver weld for those brackets on the subframe mount rails

This fat ass weld was also probably completely unnecessary but i happen to really really like to melt shit together.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

finished the tank mount today

two 1/8inch steel plates welded in place, and...looking for a good tube to weld into place to keep it spread apart

Front of the tank area il have to give some thought to but I think im going to start on the engine swap and or swingarm first. that can be one of those tasks for the last wave of tidying up

This is my first bike of which i can open the tank like a hood!

I can finally sit on it and its steady! and no blocks of wood required!

Another shot of that because im excited...deal with it...

Seat gap, gonna have to mod this 848 seat

need reccomendations of a gel/foam material to make seats from (wonder if ballistic gel would work...)

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

So Yeah, I started cutting things, heres a better pic of the above that i meant to upload

Lost of progression pics lost due to being excited to keep cutting and foreign metal objects in my eye. (still in the lefty i think)

How the frames lookin at the end of the day

And rep to Relaxwarrior32 for drilling out my top triple for my actual bandit 400 build

heres a teaser

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

You know those updates that have a lot of pictures that looks like nothings been done? my threads full of em and this post is no exception

so I has clearance issues.

So I really wish i had a gsxr to compare this too mount and clearance wise

But i think i have the position close to where i can make mounts and Hopefully I can get away without cutting and welding a notch in the main rails...or hammering a small spot

by the way its not as bad as that pic makes it seem

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Decided since engine fits for the most part im going to return this to a nearly rolling chassis so I have some measurements to finish the custom swingarm

bummed i didnt finish on time but work and life get in the way.

nice seein all the effort everyone else put in this year too! cant wait for next winters buildoff

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

this visitor left, garage feels a bit more empty now but new projects to come

now onto this build...still crackin away at it post build off

just some cleanup of remaining tabs

more updates later today

also could a mod merge the build and discussion topic and move it to members section for me?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts