Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I wanna start by thanking you guys for putting up with some of my "pretty simple questions" Before we started fighting the bandit she ran really well, The only thing which has been changed as such is the rocker cover has an oil catcher, and the carbs have cone filters,.... she started up and turned over fine but the slightest bit of throttle and she bogs down, It seems silly me saying this but "give me Electronic fuel injection" and I'm fine, but puzzled with old school carbs :doh:

I know they will need adjusting, air and fuel mix I assume? But I have no idea on how to go about it,.... Is rejetting a requirement,.... or can this be fixed just by adjusting the air fuel mix?....and if so has anyone got a link to a vid on how to sort it?

Cheers guys

:rock:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HAHAHA yes im seeing that,. however because of the tail section being modded, and the battery box sitting pretty much on top of the shock, means the stock airbox cant be refitted,....???? so im kinda stumped

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
as simple as that? just the cones getting too much free air?

·
escape from prison planet
2,296 Posts
If I remember right, it has to do with air moving across the throat of the carb.

But, with that said, it should run. It should run "meh". Likely there is something else you're overlooking. But overall, it will run like ass with cone filters. You will need to jump a few jet sizes, and do some real tuning.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thinking about lightly modding a groove in the original airbox and re-fitting that, as it ran fine with that in the first place,

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
I know they will need adjusting, air and fuel mix I assume? But I have no idea on how to go about it,.... Is rejetting a requirement,.... or can this be fixed just by adjusting the air fuel mix?....and if so has anyone got a link to a vid on how to sort it?

Adjusting the air/fuel mix IS done by changing the jetting and the needle position. If that sounds like a foreign language maybe you should either hop on google and search for your particular problem as it would be easier than waiting on replies here, or, take it to a shop.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Without the stock airbox the bike is running too lean. Your throttle only directly regulates air, fueling is a complicated function of the volume and velocity of that air through the venturi.

So with a lean tune/more air, when you crack the throttle it goes too lean to run and stalls.

You'll likely need larger pilot jets, larger mains, and shimming the stock needles or getting adjustables. As said a jet kit is the way to go. Holeshot or Dynojet will talk with you on the phone to figure out your setup and design a kit just for you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
or just re-fit the stock airbox.......

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PMSL would re-fit it if he hadnt of thrown it out assuming he dint need it!!!,.... great so he's now gotta buy another airbox lmao

·
escape from prison planet
2,296 Posts
PMSL would re-fit it if he hadnt of thrown it out assuming he dint need it!!!,.... great so he's now gotta buy another airbox lmao

id just build something out of some scrap, honestly. leave the bottom or back of it open if youre worried about restriction. but for sure, youll need some sort of a box and rejetting. possibly run without a box with jetting on a dyno.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He's ordered another airbox now lol,... so we will go that route

1 - 16 of 16 Posts