Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right so heres my first bike project been wanting to do this ever since i got this bandit a few months ago my bikes a 1999 suzuki gsf 600 bandit i got it for £1100 with 23k miles and has a half decent scorpian exaust all in all good condition apart from i came off about a month ago on a muddy road. but not much damage slight scratch and a small dent in the tank and the right light smashed opend so i converted into a single light like the genious i am lol ;) but thats it really. i decided to start the project now as winter is coming and i dont want any more accidents so this is the perfect excuse to not ride in the snow and ice :p ive already posted on the forum about a custom oil cooler ive had made to fit so thats one thing of the endless list of things to do but here it is ill go straight into some pics and what i plan to do and what i will need help with :p

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i promise the pics will get better lol.... the first thing ive been working on is the oil cooler which i got some help with on the forum if you wanna read that heres the link
http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76586

but basically i got a cheap aftermarket oil cooler with braided lines which i had a welder do some work on and it turned out pretty good i jus need to give it a polish and it will look cool

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
heres a question for all of you guys what do you think of the tail placment?. i like the look of the tail in this position but my brother sais it sits over the rear wheel to much but i wanna know what you guys think? ...plus if we pick to have it sit there i dont have to get somone to do any welding ill just have to cut some bits :D????

Attachments

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
It doesn't look all that bad there...

I think that the front seat pad would look really big though. Seems like there is a lot of area to cover starting at the back of the tank going to the end of the drivers area on the tail. It may look a little funky with the small tail and the huge seat pad.

Is the width of the plastic on the tail the problem with moving closer to the tank? It seems like it tapers in a little at the back of the subframe....

·
2,779 Posts
heres a question for all of you guys what do you think of the tail placment?. i like the look of the tail in this position but my brother sais it sits over the rear wheel to much but i wanna know what you guys think? ...plus if we pick to have it sit there i dont have to get somone to do any welding ill just have to cut some bits :D????
I agree with your brother & think its to far back

Admitedly it don't look too bad there. but, & this is the old personal preference thing, I'm not a fan of tailpieces extending past the rear wheel.
O.K. It'll be a lot less pissing around to mount it there but would look so much better moved forward:rock:

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Chop the subframe and bring it closer

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yer im gonna chop the frame i think i was getting over excited thinking i wouldnt have to do much to get it to look right but now i definitely want it more forward after looking at some pictures on the forum. im going to get angle grinder on friday as thats when i get payed and get cutting. ive got the day of tommorow so im gonna see if theres anything i can do to the bike while im waiting for friday maybe mark out were i want to cut it down too.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Draw up some ideas get everything preped. That way when you get it you chop fit bolt ride

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i had a quick mess around on photoshop this morning and this is what i think i would like it to look. i want the tail to be in line with the rear wheel or jus slightly more in. im now going to go in the garage and do a few mesurments and tape what im gonna be cutting. thanks for the drawing suggestion gives a good idea of what it could look like :)

Attachments

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Are you still trying keep two up riding capability, or are you going to be solo only?

·
Registered
466 Posts
i had a quick mess around on photoshop this morning and this is what i think i would like it to look. i want the tail to be in line with the rear wheel or jus slightly more in. im now going to go in the garage and do a few mesurments and tape what im gonna be cutting. thanks for the drawing suggestion gives a good idea of what it could look like :)
where will all the wires and battery be hidden?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well to get it how i want it to look on photoshop im gonna try fitting it all in the rear fairing which might be a tight fit. if thats not doable ill make some side fairing and put the battery were it originaly went and all the wires shouldnt be to messy hopefully :p

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just a quick update ive just put the origional rear fairing back on the bike as doing the rear tail swap is going to take a bit more research and probally involve getting a whole new subframe to fit the honda 1000rr fairing. if anyone knows a very detailed thread about doing a tail swap could you please leave a link for me as i really need to learn abit more. in the mean time ive jus got a new headlight and a digital speedo that i will be hooking up while researching about the tail swap those parts should be here this week ill take some pics when i get them...

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
then all you need to do is cu off the original subframe and fill the holes in

Then when you get the new sub weld in some mounting tabs for it ..
I know I made it sound easy but with the steel frame it isn't that hard.

The hardest thing for you is going to be mounting the sub with the right angle

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yer it does sound simple enough but when your like me and cant weld and don't know anyone that does good welding at a fair price. its a case of deciding whether its cheaper to buy a bolt on or if its cheaper to get it welded. :) really annoying now but im gonna keep looking to see if theres any fighters near me to give a hand...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts