Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
www.gearingcommander.com

You can play around with all sorts of different ratios, and it shows sprocket center length differences, approximate chain link count, etc. IMO -1F/+2R from stock has been a reasonably good "rule of thumb" recommendation for gearing for easier wheelies. Stock for the B6 is 15F/47R, and the B12 is 15/45. I've run 15/45, 14/45, and 14/47 on my B12, and I prefer 14/45.

The whole point of that is you probably don't want to go more than 10% shorter gearing than stock if you're trying to maintain street manners. Divide old rear tooth count (oR) by the front (oF), then multiply by 1.1 for your target ratio (T). Pick your new front tooth count (F), multiply that by the target ratio, and round down to the nearest whole number for the rear tooth count (R).

T=1.1*(oR/oF)
R=T*F

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
www.gearingcommander.com

You can play around with all sorts of different ratios, and it shows sprocket center length differences, approximate chain link count, etc. IMO -1F/+2R from stock has been a reasonably good "rule of thumb" recommendation for gearing for easier wheelies. Stock for the B6 is 15F/47R, and the B12 is 15/45. I've run 15/45, 14/45, and 14/47 on my B12, and I prefer 14/45.

The whole point of that is you probably don't want to go more than 10% shorter gearing than stock if you're trying to maintain street manners. Divide old rear tooth count (oR) by the front (oF), then multiply by 1.1 for your target ratio (T). Pick your new front tooth count (F), multiply that by the target ratio, and round down to the nearest whole number for the rear tooth count (R).

T=1.1*(oR/oF)
R=T*F
thanks for taking the time to do that for me :rock:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts