Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been working on my third bike build on a 1974 Kawasaki S3, and I just finished widening the frame to fit a Bandit 600 swingarm:

I did all my research on the XJ forum with the guy who swapped the bandit swingarm, and I have all the stock spacers from the 2000+ swingarm, but my rear wheel seems to be shifted to the right by a few millimeters. I haven't yet confirmed this relative to the front wheel, but relative to the frame on each side, it seems off center by around 5mm.

I widened the swingarm mounts equally on both sides, so that the pivot is centered in the frame. Everything seems to make sense, but I can't seem to figure out why the wheel is off center. Is it possible the pivot is supposed to sit off-center between the frame, such that the mounts have to be more to the left side? Maybe I still have the wrong spacers somehow.

Here's the bike with the swingarm, and the mods:

Installing plates on each side to widen:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I put it on a lift, and after all that, the wheel looks like it's not too bad. It might just have been an optical illusion. I'll try to take more measurements at some point, but it seems like everything is where it should be.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The wheel is off center from the factory. Now is a good time to correct this annoying but harmless issue!

Jon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There seems to be some side to side play in the swingarm pivot. There aren't any dust seals either in the stock swingarm. Does anyone have experience with these? Do I have to put a shim in on one side to make sure it can't move from side to side?

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,269 Posts
There seems to be some side to side play in the swingarm pivot. There aren't any dust seals either in the stock swingarm. Does anyone have experience with these? Do I have to put a shim in on one side to make sure it can't move from side to side?
I would look at shimming it or making some end caps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts