Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may remember i had that long agonizing thread about trying to get my carbs to work with open filters and jetting. And basically it ended with me needing to see a professional for diagnosis and tuning which i never did and so now the bike has been sitting for a whole 2 years now. I'm a disgrace i know. BUT...

I'm about to sell off my car as i have aquired a vehicle as a gift from a family member.

whichever one I decide to sell off (about $3k we're working with) i intend to blow the cash on either another affordable fun toy (tl100s, slingshot, already nicely done bandit...) and part mine out. Or employ the help of some friends both on here and locally (Because I'm not the tool collecting type :D). And redo my own.

The thing is it needs suspension reworked or replaced. needs a fuel tank. needs chain and sprockets. Brakes completely replaced probably at this point...Needs a bunch of things that are not an arm and a leg on their own but they add up. Whereas i could just find a tastefully done low mileage used bike and forget about it. BUT. I'm wondering if i could take care of the essential stuff cheap enough to STILL be able to do some fun things like cams and mechanical slide carbs and maybe even high compression kit. all within ~3k.

Does this sound reasonable? Feasible? Plausible? I'm kinda leaning toward the easy route and just piece her apart. But i do have some friends with tool caves that could help me build something...

It really does seem a toss up at this point. Which is more a worth in performance? Considering the time that would be invested and the uncertainty and the headaches with rebuilding stuff not to mention tuning. Or realistically would my 3k just be better spent on a better running bike with actual suspension already on it? Then part mine out to fund even further accessorizing that one.

This seems like the logical choice. Though it's sad of course because i would love that snarling bastard child bandit we all want. I'm just unsure of how much of a pain in the ass it will be for me. And whether i have enough money or will it only get me half way there?

Thank you for hearing me ramble. Thoughts are appreciated. Help with estimates. Which would you go?

Sincerely.
frenchfries

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
And if you're wondering why i was attempting open filters and a jet kit while my bike had shit suspension, shit brakes and oil leaking everywhere...

'murica

Or you could look at it my way, and see that if it doesn't run right and pull strong what the hell would be the point of dumping money into something that could potentially turn out to be a waste of money in the first place? There is logic there, you just have to squint really hard to see it. :D

(I'm building the turbo bikes engine before it even gets brake pads! :thumbsup:)

The first place I would start is getting the engine running sweet. Sure, it could be a task, but I imagine that if you invested some time into pulling the carbs off, checking all your settings from the pilot jets to the idle mixture screws, then put a good balance on them, tune and re-tune.... that first pull that you get on the street where it comes to life and only has a slight flat spot to work out, you are going to remember why you started this project all that time ago! Can't rush greatness. ;)

With 3k you could blow $600 on a complete Busa front, then hunt down a rear wheel swap, Busa shock, new fatty bars with risers fitted to the Busa triple, 5* ignition advancer, hunt ebay for a nice header, maybe some cams, the list goes on and on to replace all the parts that are worn or not worth pissing on in stock form. I have (what is fast approaching) the $10k mark into my Bandit and it's not so much as seen a dyno roller yet. There is ALOT missing from my build thread at this point, but that will come to light as soon as the bike is getting closer to finnished.

Could just buy some pistons and a block gasket and hunt down a Mikuni HSR and Rayjay combo.... if you know what those are for... :excellent:

If you need any specifics feel free to PM me, I know a bit about the Bandits at this point and I'm dead sure I could point you to someone who knows far more if I don't have a clue where to start. ;)

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Or you ditch the 600 motor sell it as a whole or part it out and buy a b12 motor to slap in that hoe. Look for deals to upgrade the suspension front and rear build a nice subframe a get/make a nice tail and do little bits here and there you can stay around the 2k mark between what you buy and everything you take off throw it on eBay to make a couple bucks back.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is already a 12. sorry i didnt specify that. And it ran decent enough before i tried the open filters and the jets. Which i just ordered exact size jets from carb jet websites as per fast larry specs rather than order a kit which i should have done... But Now im just thinking fuck these carbs anyway. And the bike basically needs halfway restored like i said. f i keep this bike that is still the first thing that should go :D. Straight to the scrapyard with these piece of shit carbs. I mightve fucked up the floats and overtightened jets and probably at this point bad orings throughout. The carbs have been off the bike (with duct tape over the motor holes of course). the float bowls are all hairline cracked probably from banging them around and having them fall off tables and shit... over the years...

fml

Even if i just happened to need a new float assy or 2 that could've been a decent chunk of change towards good carbs and then go from there.

I'm pretty sure my motor is ok. but i would wanna have a good look anyway at this point. And then the suspensions and Im lazy I just dont know.

I could get help but lets be honest what i really want is somebody to DO most of that stuff for me at a considerable discount :D. Like i cant just send 'er off to Dale Walker... He'd probably just send it right back entirely.

Anyways i'll have a look at that link. Spend some time thinking about this

I guess no TL because they dont like long wheelies... fuck

That leaves my bike or another already decent bandit or my dream bike the slingshot. I'm hoping i can get some kind of insurance discount because those are over 20 years old now... I thought i heard something about being able to do that.

If thats just a dream well then unfortunately I'm not down with paying the entire worth of the damn bike in a year or 2.

Which leaves... the bandit. or another clean bandit with more power and actual suspension and brakes.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you able to do the work yourself? If not, may I recommend http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67002
I suppose i could swap in a new tail easily enough. Gixxers have bolt in subframes dont they...

But as it sits that one's honestly not for me. For the price. Which i dont have anyway... No offence to the seller. And not that it's a bad price per se. But there's more that i would like to have done performance wise and less to be valued in... aesthetics. Which you can tell are not really to my liking anyway.

And somebody please explain to me the open velocity stacks with no filters thing. Do people just go down the road with no filters and think it's ok because the stacks are facing backward? Or are there little filters in there that i just dont see?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts