·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dont think harbor freight exist in the UK! il definitely be using it on a bench not a stand only options are this one or a machine mart one for the same price really :/

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,518 Posts
I don't think that one would be good for yah at all. It comes with a 6tpi blade, and other features that seem aimed at woodworking. That means the bade speed will be much to high for cutting metal. I've also never had any luck cutting metal on a band saw that has a skinny ass blade like that - the blade flexes and jams.

I agree with other Seb's recomendation. The Harbor Fright dry metal bandsaw is a good deal, is probably much closer to what you really want than any 'table top' bandsaw.

But, don't expect 'perfect cuts' from such a tool. If the blade is at all worn, it tends to deflect a bit in the cut, giving non-square cuts even with a perfect clamp up. If you want precisely square cuts every time, a spinning blade is the way to go. Those Evolution Rage blades go through steel just fine (if you avoid stupid shit like chopping small diameter rod) and can be put on almost any woodworking saw, which means you have setup options you'd have to build a jig for if using normal metal cutting tools. When I cut stuff on our band saw (which is the big water cooled brother of the HF saw) I always need to square the cut up on the mill if I care what the angle on the end of the cut is, but either of our chop saws (Rage & abrasive) will do a decent miter cut.

Also, don't under-estimate the (cost and quality) effectiveness of a good vice, a hack saw, a bottle of Gatorade, and some patience. It might be most cost effective to get a really sturdy mounting point and a solid vice. Our shop doesn't have such a setup, and I often am annoyed by the lack.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
seeing as its unanimous il knock that one off the list then :p will try shopping around but harbor freight doesnt do UK so will see if theres a UK equivalent :)

·
V4's FTW
10,496 Posts
seeing as its unanimous il knock that one off the list then :p will try shopping around but harbor freight doesnt do UK so will see if theres a UK equivalent :)
There must be, so many brands are all made under the same roof in China these days.

I believe my Enco = Harbor Freight = Grizzly.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
V4's FTW
10,496 Posts
To add a bit... I have both. I probably use the bandsaw 2x a week and the chop saw 2x per year. If I had to choose, I would take the bandsaw. With a bandsaw and a combo belt/disc sander, you can cover all chop saw tasks plus so much more. Those 2 tools are hands down the most used and versatile in my shop...

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,518 Posts
Only reason I prefer the bandsaw is it makes (much) less noise, and can handle bigger cuts. Other than required cleanup, I think the chop saw gives a more accurate cut. I use the bandsaw (a lot) but can never trust it.

Then again, my perception may be skewed by all the abuse both tools get. It may be that chops saws aren't more precise, and just tolerate abuse without loosing the ability to hold a line. I imagine in a one man shop, or just in the absence of general don't-give-a-fuckeness, a bandsaw might give good results on a regular basis, instead of just when you get lucky to find it with a fresh blade. When I occasionally get on the band saw with a fresh un-chipped blade, its a thing of joy.

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,373 Posts
Only reason I like a chop saw is for doing cheater mitre cuts for coping joints. Takes longer on a band saw

However a band saw is the shit for doing the detail work

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
Only reason I like a chop saw is for doing cheater mitre cuts for coping joints. Takes longer on a band saw

However a band saw is the shit for doing the detail work
This is exactly how I feel about them.

I've used the higher end model of the Rage chop saw Yantosh linked to and I liked it. Probably should have bought one since I could have had a deal on the demo model from the place a friend works at. Still kicking myself every time I have to dig out the abrasive chop saw.

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
+1 for evolution saws.

I have an old Ellis bandsaw too. Can be horizontal or vertical. Very useful, but both need mods to cut severe angles.

·
CB350Cafe first build
393 Posts
Saw this post (pun intended) and thought of a thread I started about my bandsaw...

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94298

I added a nice weatherproof electrical box, conduit, built a motor mount, and even added a couple outlets/recepticles to the stand. I would like to redo the transmission on it for easier speed changes. Thats for some time later.

Reactions: MikeGyver
1 - 17 of 17 Posts