Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bargain Bin Blade - 2001 CBR929RE

Well picked up a CBR929RR in pieces today for a really good price. At this point, I don't know if I want to part it / sell it and make a little money, or try to piece it back together slowly. I don't have a lot of funds at the moment but I've got a functioning bike so this one doesn't have to go fast.

Would love to hear your thoughts and advice - everything looks pretty decent on the bike (I'll get better pictures of everything Sunday)

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I would keep it and slowly build your dream bike. Do everything you've ever wanted to it do some engine work sssa swap whatever you have wanted to do on bike do it. Slowly enjoy it.

Or part that fucker out but a 929 is a great bike

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
stunt bike :rock:

atleast put it together and ride it before u decide to sell it (doubt youll want to sell it after the 1st ride tho)

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
ok awesome. ill see you soon

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what she originally looked like:

well i'm really on the fence about this one boys. turns out i don't have the pistons, connecting rods, or the crankshaft from the guy... i hate being lied to. I just found it out tonight when I started getting all the motor components out and found them missing. if i can't get them from him I'll be parting this out... I'll update you soon

·
always a work in progress
472 Posts
I've built a few 954 motors... They are expensive to do. What does the bore look like? If that has a ton of scoring or is egg shaped (a common problem with the 929/954) - I'd get rid of it. You'd have to re-plate and bore it and at the very least, you're talking $800-900 for plating and new rings. And even then, your pistons are probably done too if the bore is really bad.... so... all of a sudden, it'll turn into a money pit.

I have a 954 crank laying around - IIRC - it's a direct swap for the 929. I know the stroke is the same, the engine cases are essentially the same (minus bore obviously). I don't have any rods though.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,373 Posts
Re: Bargain Bin Blade - 2001 CBR929RE

I'd keep it if a running motor can be sourced. Hell, I'd keep it without a motor too.

Did I mention I'd keep it? One of my favorite looking frames when polished.

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I've built a few 954 motors... They are expensive to do. What does the bore look like? If that has a ton of scoring or is egg shaped (a common problem with the 929/954) - I'd get rid of it. You'd have to re-plate and bore it and at the very least, you're talking $800-900 for plating and new rings. And even then, your pistons are probably done too if the bore is really bad.... so... all of a sudden, it'll turn into a money pit.

I have a 954 crank laying around - IIRC - it's a direct swap for the 929. I know the stroke is the same, the engine cases are essentially the same (minus bore obviously). I don't have any rods though.
Thanks for the offer man. I'm gonna keep on this guy to see if I can get the mated crank, rods, and pistons. The cylinders don't look bad at all - not polished but no pitting or scoring that I can see. I haven't busted out the calipers yet to see if the cylinders are concentric.

I'd keep it if a running motor can be sourced. Hell, I'd keep it without a motor too.

Did I mention I'd keep it? One of my favorite looking frames when polished.
I want to man, but rebuilt / running motors for this thing run $700-$1000... i might keep it just to tease you though.

·
364 Posts
what she originally looked like:

well i'm really on the fence about this one boys. turns out i don't have the pistons, connecting rods, or the crankshaft from the guy... i hate being lied to. I just found it out tonight when I started getting all the motor components out and found them missing. if i can't get them from him I'll be parting this out... I'll update you soon

had one of them from new
and 6 months later it got trashed
by a truck....with me on it......

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well everywhere I turn there's another missing part, this time it's the airbox. I'm going to be a pesky son of a bitch to this guy - i've left 3 voicemails so far, I'm gonna leave a couple every day until he finally answers.

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Was it listed as "all there"?
Yeah, he said it 3 or 4 times in his craigslist ad... "all there"... "all you have to do is put it together"... "complete bike"... had it in boxes and i saw airbox boots in one of the boxes so I figured it was hidden and the engine looked complete in the bin. I asked him "is it all here?" and he said yes...

motherfucker. this is a headache now. maybe she shall find her way to ebay soon. gonna do a little cleaning first me thinks.

If I do decide to put it up for sale, I'll do a FS thread here with every single part I have before I send it to ebay.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts