Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Strassenkämpfer for life
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question I deal with for a certain time. Don't take it personal :surrender:

Why are so many (not all) are riding such a small (displacement) bike.
I'm for over a decade in this fighter thing and saw the biggest portion of rides are at least 900cc or 7/11 swaps and such.
This is pretty interesting for me to know as I see this trend basically in north America.

I guess it has to do with the insurance or speed linit or so but I might be wrong.

ups: wrong forum - can we move this to the general discussion - please

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
i love my sv 1000. i had a gsxr600/1000. i loved it with both engines. all the bikes on here are street bikes. go to a track site and youll see big displacement. smaller bikes have cheaper insurance,better gas mileage, and the new ones are just as fast as any 7/11 with stock internals.

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
I'm going to say it's a matter of cost and experience.

600's are both cheap to purchase and also cheap to insure.

But also there has been a huge surge in motorcycling over the past 5 years or so. I would speculate the majority of guys on 600's are relativly newer riders.

As a side. Most of the newer 600's are just as fast, if not faster, then the older liter bikes. So the power thing realy isn't as big an issue as it once was. When a modern 600 puts down 100hp and weighs in around the 350lbs mark, there's not much to bitch about.

I prefer the torque of a liter bike though, so I'll stick to my old liter bikes.

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
How about this for a question?

Why the hell do you NEED 1000CC on the street?

I know a lot of liter bike owners. I also can only think of 2 out of about 40 that I know that are good enough to even use the upper third of that powerband without hurting themselves.

Really, it's unnecessary.

Put a good rider on a R6 and he/she will outride 99% of the liter bikes on the street. ;)

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
Oh, and FWIW I'm buying a new bike in a few months, and am seriously considering a Buell XB12Scg.

Why? 80+ ft. lbs. at 6K RPMs. 103hp.

It's over a liter... but it's nice to have power you CAN use in a jam that you don't need to see 11K to find. haha

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
cuz it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
For me, it was cost. I was trying for ages to find a big bore crashed bike to fighter and this 600 came at the right price at the right time. I'd LOVE to build a big bore fighter at some piece, but it's cost prohibitive at the moment. I'd much prefer a big bore....torque rules.

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
You just answered your own question.....
Hardly, you show me how often you use the whole powerband on a liter bike city riding.... and I'll show you how many MORE times I can use the powerband of a high torque/low rev twin.

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
A twin doesn't count the same. I have an Scg and it is not nearly as fast over 70+ as a modern 600.
Well, it's what you want in the end I guess. An Scg will do well over 100mph, will get there as fast as it needs to, etc. But really, it's all irrelevant, because anyone who's doing triple digits on the street is a fucking squid anyhow.

My requirements for a bike:

-Low maintainance.

-Relatively quick.

-Comfortable.

-Good for transport.

-USABLE powerband.

Modern japanese sportbikes aren't good for day to day transport, aren't exactly comfortable, and have a high rev powerband... A.K.A. not a city bike. Japanese bikes have become more and more homologated in the last 5 years.

So, I'd either choose a Buell (because it's got a short band with ample torque) or a Triumph Daytona 675.

(Keep in mind this is for my daily rider. I've got the KZ/GSXR for days I'm feeling antsy. haha)

·
GURU
445 Posts
Honestly, you have no choice but to use the whole thing on a low rev v-twin. It only goes to like 6500. I'm bouncing off the rev limiter all day long. Plus the fact that the bikes refuse to run smooth anywhere under 2000 rpm.

·
GURU
445 Posts
I was between a 675 and the buell and its obvious what I chose. My buddy went with the 675. I wouldn't trade him if he paid me. For all the buell bashing, I still love it. It is more comfortable and whatnot. I don't agree however with the streetability side. I had a z1k before and it was much more (engine wise) capable on the street. The buell sucks ass in traffic. It is burning hot, I have holes in all my pants to prove it. Plus it won't idle down the road, you seriously need to be over 2k or on the clutch.

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
to the original question. here in the states there are alot of cops. not alot of stretches to even open up a 1000.

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
I was between a 675 and the buell and its obvious what I chose. My buddy went with the 675. I wouldn't trade him if he paid me. For all the buell bashing, I still love it. It is more comfortable and whatnot. I don't agree however with the streetability side. I had a z1k before and it was much more (engine wise) capable on the street. The buell sucks ass in traffic. It is burning hot, I have holes in all my pants to prove it. Plus it won't idle down the road, you seriously need to be over 2k or on the clutch.
See, I looked at a Z1000 and I dunno... I think the new ones are kinda wonky.

Seems nice, maybe I should ride one before I drop 10.5 on a buell, as the Z1K is 8.5.

Just seems like the buell would be a great daily driver.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,433 Posts
I ride a 600 because I want the engine power to have less of an impact on my laptimes.

I wanted a bike that would have as much handling capability as possible with very little acceleration capable, to force me to corner more efficiently in order to lower my times around the race tracks I frequent.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts