Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a standard gel battery to replace my knackered Motobatt agm battery. I followed the instructions and emptied the acid into the battery and sealed it. I was under the impression that three batteries did not need an initial charge, but when I checked it with my multimeter it showed zero voltage. I am pretty sure the metert is OK as it read the voltage on my old battery OK, even though it was only 1.something volts.

I have tried connecting the battery to two different chargers although I had to use the same permanent connection lead for both chargers. I checked the inline fuse on the lead and that looked OK. However, both chargers behaved as if they weren't even connected to a battery. Both chargers are supposed to indicate a badly discharged battery, but they don't even do that!!!!!

I can't believe I have been unlucky enough to buy a duff battery as they are pretty simple things. Is there any other test i can do as it will be a right pain in the are to have to send it back and wait for a replacement!!!!!

·
Registered
740 Posts
I thought the gel batteries only came as sealed units- the only kind you actually add acid to were the traditional plate style.

It should show voltage immediately upon adding acid. Ideally, you add the acid, wait about 1hr, put the caps on, then put it on a battery tender until it comes up green, or trickle charge at 1 amp for about 6 hrs. Factory sealed batteries (AGM, gel, lithium, ect) do not need an initial charge and can be installed right away.

If you're sure the meter is OK, I guess you got a defective battery. Must have a break under one of the terminals to read zero voltage. To be honest I have never heard of that happening, but it's certainly possible. Dropped or damaged in shipping possibly? Or just a flat out defect in manufacturing.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
I thought the gel batteries only came as sealed units- the only kind you actually add acid to were the traditional plate style.
You can get sealed batteries that you add the acid to yourself. They are AGM as the glass mat is what absorbs the acid helping prevent it from sloshing around. All my sealed agm batteries I have to add the acid myself. Better shelf life that way.

But totally agree on everything else. Definitely sounds like a bad terminal. That's the only way I can imagine an open circuit in a battery.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always thought agm batteries like the motobatt one I had before came factory sealed. I thought the gel batteries that needed filling were a step below. Anyhoo, looks like a got a duff battery. Now I need to sort out who pays postage for the return as now the acid has gelled the battery is lot heavierr. Also not sure if I can post it now that I have filled the battery.

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
wasstha manufacturer or make mate , let us al be aware.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The battery was made by Qtech. I am happy that the battery is dead as I have tried everything including wiring a bulb across the two terminals. I have ordered a replacement elsewhere and will be sorting out returning this battery on Monday.

Second time lucky!!!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts