Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
we are 138
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I'm looking into a new battery for the bike cause I currently don't have one. Its an 03 z1000. Since I removed the air box I bought a monster seat so I want to relocate the battery from under the seat in the battery tray ...inboard towards the motor between the frame uprights.

Does that make sense?

Anyways, to keep road grime and water/weather off the battery I'm going to need a sealed box for the battery. Here is the snag.

Does anyone make a battery box that's water/weatherproof?
Has anyone ever made a battery box that can give me some tips?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
Do you have a picture of where it is going? Sorry if you actually attached one, I can't see shit at work, not even a broken image icon.

I'm not sure why it would have to be fully sealed. A lot of bikes have the battery exposed. The Ducati 916 mounts it right next to the engine, but obviously covered by a fairing. You could probably make a fiberglass or carbon fiber box easily to hold it, a good amount of extra work would be required to make a sealed lid. Maybe tilt the battery backward so the terminals are not directly pointed up or forward to shield from water and grime.

·
we are 138
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can take a pic. I wasn't sure if it needed to be completely protected since it will end up being right next to the swingarm off the crossbar next to the upper shock mount. And it'll be very exposed.

·
we are 138
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So here what I'm talking about.

The plan is to clean out everything in the subframe. Which right now is the battery tray and fuse block along with several voodoo like electrical connections. I want the subframe to be clean cause it will be completely see open. I need to remove the battery tray to tuck the undertail exhaust.

So I was going to try to relocate everything into the stock tail under the cowl. But i really want to run the monster seat. So that won't work. So now with the air box removed I have room to move everything down. Battery and fuse block.

I figure I can fan a bracket and weld it to the frame next to the shock mount. I just need to come up with a housing right?

Sorry for the super shitty pics.

·
moron with a hammer
119 Posts
I can't recommend this, but I may have run two packs of A123 cells stuck to the bottom of a seat pan with double-sided foam tape, along with the rest of the electrics. Ran that way for a year with no issues before I broke down and actually made a tray to hold that stuff. Since you're out a battery anyway, I'd spend a few more bucks on LiFePO4 packs, which will be a lot easier to hide, and will last longer anyway. (And probably mount them with something more sturdy than double-sided foam tape.) Most shops can get Ballistic batteries, or a hobby shop can solder together some packs of A123s for next to no money. The last shop did mine for $5 apiece plus the cost of the cells. That was four years ago, and all of them are still working fine.

·
GIVE THEM THE GOOD NEWS!
107 Posts
I had a 07 z1000 2nd gen before my R1 and they are a bastard to play with. I can completely understand what your trying to do though. I've just made (with a little help) a custom battery tray for my R1. Because I fitted the ducati 1199 tail there's now very little room for electrics, all you need to do is measure out the size you want the box, taking into account how you will mount it, what needs to fit in it and the look your going for. Cut up pieces of sheet metal with a trusty 1mm angle grinder into sections, label which part will attach to each other part with numbers or letters and then give it a welder to weld up for you, get it painted, take it home, fit it. Easy as that, here's a picture of mine. Motor vehicle Vehicle Product Tire Automotive tire

If you need any advice on doing it drop me a pm, the key is getting your initial measurements bang on, the cutting and welding bit is easy :Knucks:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
be a man. convert it to kick start.

or just make something that can hold the batter in place and then make thin panels that attach to it and sealed between with foam tape

1 - 9 of 9 Posts