Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here is the new project. I have never fallen for any motorcycle like this one. It was love at first sight !
Introducing the 1982 XJ650 Turbo. Previous owner rebuilt it. These were his pics

·
Frankenbike builder
441 Posts
This ought to be good. Sub'd/

I have ridden one- both turboed and unturboed. Did you know that this was the only turbo bike that was slower in the 1/4 miles than it's un-turboed counter part? The dummy pipe I found interesting as well- I forgot, it served some function still IIRC?

Bike was painfully slow on the low end, but once the turbro spooled up it was gobs of fun. The guy that owned it is a former Kawasaki dealership owner and part owner now of a a yamaha shop. He is pretty old now, but he won a couple national drag racing events and a full on championship.

He raced me on a Z1 900 and ate me up LOL- but is is about 100lbs lighter than me.

I can't wait to see what you do to this thing! Getting rid of the turbo lag would really wake that bike up!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This ought to be good. Sub'd/

I have ridden one- both turboed and unturboed. Did you know that this was the only turbo bike that was slower in the 1/4 miles than it's un-turboed counter part? The dummy pipe I found interesting as well- I forgot, it served some function still IIRC?

Bike was painfully slow on the low end, but once the turbro spooled up it was gobs of fun. The guy that owned it is a former Kawasaki dealership owner and part owner now of a a yamaha shop. He is pretty old now, but he won a couple national drag racing events and a full on championship.

He raced me on a Z1 900 and ate me up LOL- but is is about 100lbs lighter than me.

I can't wait to see what you do to this thing! Getting rid of the turbo lag would really wake that bike up!
Bike does have turbo lag. Its running the Yamaha 'power up' kit so is running around 12psi. All the power seems to come on in one hit. My intension is to front mount the turbo to sort the lag out. I'm just trying to figure out if it will run ok as it has pressurized carbs.

It can loose quite a bit of weight. Fairing, Sub frame, right exhaust etc. Stock it weighs a ton. I'm actually considering making it a hardtail.

·
V four honda whore
12,412 Posts
Hardtail would be awesome

1 - 7 of 7 Posts