Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen melted beeswax used to protect bare metal rather than using clear lacquer. So for small objects a small pan of melted beeswax is heated up and the part dropped in and is coated. Larger parts i have seen are heated up and the beeswax rubbed on them.
I have rebuilt my forks (1991 ZXR 750 USD) and originally mirror polished the outers but have now gone for a brushed effect.
So...could i brush hot melted beeswax onto the cold forks or can i apply gentle heat from a heat gun and then paint melted wax on?
Anyone with experience of this witchcraft, your opinions greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

·
10,849 Posts
just get a decent polish that leaves a wax coating behind , i use Belgom

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would save a lot if buggering about. Cheers Yan.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just bought the Belgom...how often do you need to apply it? I am a fair weather biker these days so shall be kind to the exposed metal parts.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bought some so will give it a go over the weekend. Thanks.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Given the forks a rub down...goes black like autosol in application but has the benefit of a protective layer. Seemed ok and dulled the fork a little which i liked. Hard to pick up on a photo but the leg on the right is with belgom and the left is without.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and possibly a more uniform finish. what it does bring up is that the surface could do with more wet sanding as there are some scratches that the polish picked up that i hadn't noticed before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts