Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to start of by saying that this is in no way complete or set in stone, That said. This going to be very basic and serve as a starting point. So the story goes: I just got my first bike its a (insert favorite name), its been sitting for x number of months, years, ect. It run when they parked.

Here's the deal I have worked as a motorcycle tech off and on for the past 20 years. Most of this comes from personal experience. I am going to simplify this as if you have never worked on anything before.

1. Battery, buy a new right from the start. Most new batteries have an 80% charge. The other 20% needs to be trickle charged. This may involve buying a charger as well. This can not be stressed enough.

2. Spark plugs, These are cheap and will save head aches later.

3. Drain the fuel tank. Bad gas sucks

4. Inspect the fuel lines for cracks and dry rot. Inspect the fuel filter, if in doubt replace it.

5. Clean the carbs. I am going to link a tutorial here. http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10086

6. Electrical connections should be checked to ensure no tampering or bad repairs.

7. Fuses and fuse box need to be inspected and replaced as needed.

8. Cables and brake lines need to be inspected and replaced as needed.

9. Chain and sprockets needs to be inspected. If in doubt replace them http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_6034_replace-sprocket-chain-street-bike.html

10. Tires need to be checked for dry rot and cracks.

11. An owners manual or repair manual will give you specific specs for your machine. Here is a good list in pdf. http://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp

12. Know your limitations. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Remember its your life on the line here.

13. Inspect and change oil and filter. http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30773

Comments and opinions welcome, Remember this is a no flame zone. This is to help the new members who need a place to start. This list will be update and changed as more info is added. I am motivated to do this in part by CK187 as way for the senior members to mentor the new members. Place contribute if you like. Thanks Charles

·
Denver's new dad
946 Posts
the only thing I can add is chain and sprockets...... go ahead and replace if in doubt. Alot of people new to bikes cant tell if they are worn or not. I know the expence sucks but speeking from experience I can say it may save your pride and shiny new paint job! (not to mention your life) good thread - REPPED

·
198 Posts
Very Nice!!! Not sure if it is meant to be in an "order of importance" But whenever I buy a new bike or car I
1- Change Oil & Filter NO MATTER what!! I don't care if the seller says I/ shop just changed it. This puts it on my schedule and gives me piece of mind. Example a buddy of mine bought a real clean looking 2000 WR400 to use as a dual sport in AZ. The guy said he just did a tune up and changed the oil. My buddy took him for his word. No more than a week later bike seized while going down the road. It had a plugged oil filter!!!

2- New air filter

3- New sparks plugs

·
Bikes, Bitches and Beer
973 Posts
i think u should take the ideas we reply and add them to the list. and then delete our posts. To keep this a simple one post thread.
u dig?

·
198 Posts
Hi,

great site. I gotta couple of questions regarding a cbx1000 I am working on, would be grateful for any advise:

1. What are the most effective options for USDs and single swing arm for the CBX?
2. The only aftermarket speedo & tach I can get here in Cape Town are mechanical and I need to know if they would work on the cbx or by how much they would be out: the speedo ratio is K=1,4 (I think this means 60:1400) & the tach is 1=1:7. If these ratios are totally wrong for the cbx I will have to order digital instruments from overseas.

Many thanks
This is more just a general things to do or look for. Not really bike specific. Try searching and see what you come up with. If nothing then go ahead and start a thread for your specific questions.

·
ZarlonX6-R
24 Posts
my bike is a Zx6r,
i need to know what to do with the RAM air INTAKE

The ram air is an issue
i already try run my bike without the RAM AIR, and BLOCK the air intake a little, THEM TRY TO BLOCK COMPLETELY but did not work, thinking that theres maybe to much air going through and its choking up the engine

the bike die above about 50mph

i dont waNt to play with the mix of air and gas in the carburetor, im afraid to lose it

please HELP!!!! I have two weeks trying to solve it

·
Poser
1 Posts
I seek to unlock the secrets of the CDI...

:truestory:Well, hello seasoned warriors, future fighters, and Godfathers. I'm Bonus. Ill begin by spitting a little information out of my fingertips.

I'm building a motorcycle. It's a 2000 Suzuki bandit 1200. I have electrical questions that will test the skills of those who consider themselves Godfathers. I have joined this forum is search of answers. I seek to know the Ignition system of this particular motor. My goal is to create whats known as a "chopper wiring harness" or simplified wiring diagram. This has proven to be difficult via all the safety relays and clutch switches and neutral switches and so on and so forth. I am creating this harness. I need to know the functions of certain components, and what it requires to get that God Damned signal sent to the coils to fire. I have power to them, but I need help with simple questions like how does one test for intermittent pulse, how does one know if ones pulse generator, or signal generator is working...I have been truly humbled by this motor, and now seek outside sources of information. It will take the mind of a seasoned electronics, and CDI ignition genius. I am calling out to those who are able to help.

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
Re: I seek to unlock the secrets of the CDI...

:truestory:Well, hello seasoned warriors, future fighters, and Godfathers. I'm Bonus. Ill begin by spitting a little information out of my fingertips.

I'm building a motorcycle. It's a 2000 Suzuki bandit 1200. I have electrical questions that will test the skills of those who consider themselves Godfathers. I have joined this forum is search of answers. I seek to know the Ignition system of this particular motor. My goal is to create whats known as a "chopper wiring harness" or simplified wiring diagram. This has proven to be difficult via all the safety relays and clutch switches and neutral switches and so on and so forth. I am creating this harness. I need to know the functions of certain components, and what it requires to get that God Damned signal sent to the coils to fire. I have power to them, but I need help with simple questions like how does one test for intermittent pulse, how does one know if ones pulse generator, or signal generator is working...I have been truly humbled by this motor, and now seek outside sources of information. It will take the mind of a seasoned electronics, and CDI ignition genius. I am calling out to those who are able to help.
Damm thats wel beyond me mate but welcom in and sure some clever fellah will be along to help ya out :D

·
Premium Member
15,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: I seek to unlock the secrets of the CDI...

The appropriate place for this is here:
http://www.customfighters.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=293

May all so want to read up here: http://www.portablepct.com/fastlarry/banditfaq.htm#electrical

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
I wasn't aware of any major changes engine-wise between the C and D model. I think the output shaft length is different but flipping the sprocket around solves that if you swap engines.

All Zx-11's suffer from poor oiling of the #3 rod journal. Mr Turbo use to make a kit to help with that though.

Later, Doug

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wasn't aware of any major changes engine-wise between the C and D model. I think the output shaft length is different but flipping the sprocket around solves that if you swap engines.

All Zx-11's suffer from poor oiling of the #3 rod journal. Mr Turbo use to make a kit to help with that though.

Later, Doug
was not aware of any of that, thank you for the info :) the 1991 ZX11 was given to me for free. sure the crankcase needs to be replaced because the chain smacked it and took out a chunk but hey i like playing with things lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts